destination marathons?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

destination marathons?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
destination marathons?

I bow down to Boston Qualifier Runners, you have your pick of races. For the rest of us mere mortals, have you selected your race based on destination and then course?

Missy and I walked five races in five time zones in 2007 and that was a blast. Anchorage to PHL - all with amazing views and memories.

I completed PDX in 2008, while it was close to me, it also was a destination because of Powells, Stumptown and Clyde Common.

This year we're schlepping to Bar Harbor for the Mt. Desert isle marathon. October in Maine will hopefully be cool and dry and with awesome views.
I have dreams of running Victoria as well.
How about you?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I used to read about destination marathons in Runners World back when I subscribed (and ran). But their destination marathons were pretty exotic.

I've only done the Honululu Marathon, which one could say is a destination but I basically flew in, did the marathon & flew out. And it rained most of the time during the marathon so it was pretty miserable. But I finished it, so what the heck.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've only done the Honululu Marathon, which one could say is a destination but I basically flew in, did the marathon & flew out. And it rained most of the time during the marathon so it was pretty miserable. But I finished it, so what the heck.
Yeah I've heard all kinds of horror stories about Honolulu. Don't you start at some ungodly hour? And it's either hot as hell the whole time or pouring rain, from what I've been told. Sounds like a real interesting run.

I know dhuey did Berlin and Tokyo.. I think he really liked Berlin, as I recall.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Yeah I've heard all kinds of horror stories about Honolulu. Don't you start at some ungodly hour? And it's either hot as hell the whole time or pouring rain, from what I've been told. Sounds like a real interesting run.
Yeah, Honolulu starts at 5am I think (it's been a while; maybe it's before 5am, more like 4:30 or something like that). Dark as hades. When I did it, walked out to pouring rain & people were ducking into the local Starbucks to get garbage bags to put over them Cool thing is it starts w/ fireworks. Actually except for Diamond Peak or whatever it's called, the course is pretty flat. But you've got DP & of course on the back end you have to get up it to get down to the finish line (at the front end not as big a deal cuz you're still fresh).

You know how you know at the beginning of a race if it's going to go well or not? I knew at the start of this one when I got a cramp that it was going to be a long one, but I was doing ok. By the way, did I mention the torrential downpour yet? Turns out due to that, a lot of friction from the soggy socks & massive blisters ensued. Around mile 15 we lost the rain but had winds. At mile 19 one foot went ugh (ie, blister along the entire bottom of my foot & bloody) & at mile 20 same thing happened to the other foot. And I went down to a hobble but determined to finish. Which I did very, very slowly - and went to the medical tent right after.

I remember hobbling into the hotel afterwards & this older Japanese gentleman saw me hobbling in, but w/ the seashell necklace on they give you when you cross the finish line. He obviously didn't speak English, but pointed at the necklace & gave me 2 big thumbs up.

One of the things I like about Honolulu is there is no cut-off time. They don't shut it down until the last person crosses the finish line. I saw some of the wheelchair guys. I had great respect for them & awe when I was slowly going up DP at the end & thinking they were doing it in a wheelchair after me. I was so glad their times would count.

BTW - I've run in rain before, but never torrential rain - and it never occurred to me to carry an extra pair of socks to change into.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I saw some of the wheelchair guys. I had great respect for them & awe when I was slowly going up DP at the end & thinking they were doing it in a wheelchair after me. I was so glad their times would count.

BTW - I've run in rain before, but never torrential rain - and it never occurred to me to carry an extra pair of socks to change into.
As a wheelchair racer, let me tell you that pushing in the rain is one of the most horrible sporting experiences there is - once your rims get wet, you get absolutely no traction against the gloves. It's murder, and can easily triple your time.

Congratulations on your finish under difficult conditions.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
It rained for the first time in 20 years the year I did PDX, nothing like Sharon's experience. That would be awful. My dreadful experience was more about not refueling often enough nor dehydrating. Miles 17-20 were not pretty and I have an fellow wogger to thank for providing me her extra gu.

I was in Paris last year during the Paris Marathon - it looked like fun.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
This year we're schlepping to Bar Harbor for the Mt. Desert isle marathon. October in Maine will hopefully be cool and dry and with awesome views.
I'm doing their 1/2 in September

I'm using 1/2 marathons as an excuse to visit states I haven't been to yet.
I have 1 scheduled every month this year, but the earlier/later months are down close to me.
I'm visiting MT, OR, ID, ME, and AK this year for random 1/2 marathons.

I finished the Disney World 1/2 in January, but did not finish the Disney Princess yesterday. Next race is in Charlotte, NC, April is Clemson, SC, then my traveling begins.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by gj83
I'm doing their 1/2 in September

I'm using 1/2 marathons as an excuse to visit states I haven't been to yet.
I have 1 scheduled every month this year, but the earlier/later months are down close to me.
I'm visiting MT, OR, ID, ME, and AK this year for random 1/2 marathons.

It sounds like there's a couple of people doing the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon, in Allentown, PA on May 1. There's info in the Community Buzz thread-->

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...unners-do.html

I'll be there. I've been trying to run a race near where I grew up for a while, but things just haven't worked out. I registered a while ago and booked my airfare yesterday, so as long as there's no illness/injury, I'll be running it.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by lalala
For the rest of us mere mortals, have you selected your race based on destination and then course?
Having done one marathon (so far) just to accomplish it, I can say with conviction that the only additional marathons I will do will be for the destination (i.e., scenic, fun, silly, unusual, etc.)

Near term I'm planning Walt Disney World (Goofy Challenge Jan 2012) and Marine Corps Marathon (Oct 2012).

Longer term I'd like to do Venice, maybe (if I'm ever up for the stairs) Great Wall of China.

Closer to home, I hear the Hatfield & McCoy marathon is great fun, including a rope bridge and being "shot at" by water pistols. Allegedly every runner has a dedicated local cheerleader, and you're put on one family or the other to compete.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
It sounds like there's a couple of people doing the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon, in Allentown, PA on May 1. There's info in the Community Buzz thread-->

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...unners-do.html

I'll be there. I've been trying to run a race near where I grew up for a while, but things just haven't worked out. I registered a while ago and booked my airfare yesterday, so as long as there's no illness/injury, I'll be running it.
I've already booked races through October. Just Nov and Dec are unbooked.
May 1 I'm running in Lincoln, NE with several friends from college.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of our events (runs/bike rides) are destination. I'm a traveler first I guess

I ride more then run but am going to do a 1/2 marathon with my wife (her first) sometime this year. Not sure where yet but Vegas (YAWN) looks to be good timing for us!

We started a couple years ago with a goal to do some sort of event ride in each state.
Oregon (STP)
Washington (STP)
Utah (Moab Moonlight Classic)
Wyoming (Tour De Wyoming and all my training rides
Colorado (erock and a few others)
Nebraska (Cool-aid Classic)
SD (Black hills ride...can't remember name)
Montana (.....can't remember ugh)

I'd have to check my list but I think that is all we've done so far.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At the Disney World Goofy last year it snowed! I was lowley 5k and chief cheerleader for half and full, but when I booked to go to Florida, I was thinking sunshine not snowflakes!!!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I registered for the 2012 Disneyworld Marathon on Tuesday. Think this is the furthest out I've ever planned almost anything.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
I registered for the 2012 Disneyworld Marathon on Tuesday. Think this is the furthest out I've ever planned almost anything.
Haven't registered yet but have hotel reservations and plan to do the same. Plus the Half, for the Goofy Challenge.

There's a whole health & fitness weekend going on there that weekend... prime location for a DO?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:17 am

Good luck magiciansampras!

Hope the Boston marathon goes well for you.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.