Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

destination marathons?

destination marathons?

Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by travelgirl29
Thanks! Have never been to Ireland. Maybe this will be the year. Can't find how many runners register for this race. Do you have any idea?
I think it was around 4500 in 2013 and 5k+ last summer. Registration just reopened for this year.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thanks! Have never been to Ireland. Maybe this will be the year. Can't find how many runners register for this race. Do you have any idea?
Hi,

I looked at the results and there were 5,013 finishers in 2014.

There are probably a few more who did not finish and those who registered but did not turn up.

Regards

TBS

PS I am going to Phoenix for the Rocknroll half marathon on 18th January.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I looked at the results and there were 5,013 finishers in 2014.

There are probably a few more who did not finish and those who registered but did not turn up.

Regards

TBS

PS I am going to Phoenix for the Rocknroll half marathon on 18th January.
If interested, I just received a discount code I can share with up to 3 people for the RnR Dublin!

Just PM me.

Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi rwoman,

Thanks for the offer. I have not decided whether to go to Dublin yet ( a bit too far ahead time wise and may have other Rock n roll ones to do - I might do SFO in March, San diego in May and maybe lisbon in October)

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This is my first year running seriously. My goal is to do a marathon before the end of the year (maybe Irleand, maybe Vegas).

For my half, I'm eying Tromso's in Norway in the middle of the summer. It's a nighttime race (half marathon starts at 10pm) but there's sunlight which should be awesome!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbece
This is my first year running seriously. My goal is to do a marathon before the end of the year (maybe Irleand, maybe Vegas).

For my half, I'm eying Tromso's in Norway in the middle of the summer. It's a nighttime race (half marathon starts at 10pm) but there's sunlight which should be awesome!
Some friends and I are planning on Trmso as well!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

destination marathons?

Ran the Hong Kong Marathon today, not sure it qualifies as a destination marathon since it's a two hour flight away.

Now debating where to run next. I'm thinking somewhere in Japan in the fall or maybe I'll have to suffer through a week in Honolulu again in December.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Ran the Hong Kong Marathon today, not sure it qualifies as a destination marathon since it's a two hour flight away.

Now debating where to run next. I'm thinking somewhere in Japan in the fall or maybe I'll have to suffer through a week in Honolulu again in December.
Congrats on the HKG one & yeah, doing Honolulu for another week would be a hardship I did the Honolulu one about 15 years ago (wow - time flies).

Cheers.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just registered for the Disneyland half on September 6. Destination for most, down the street for me.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I just registered for the Disneyland half on September 6. Destination for most, down the street for me.
I thought about it but thought it was pricey at $199 plus the active.com fees. The Chicago Marathon (a major no less!) was cheaper.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is pricy, but I figure registering for one once a year is cheaper than getting fat :-)

I hear Disney runs great events.

My girl scout troop is volunteering at the 10K the day before, that should be fun.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by rwoman
I thought about it but thought it was pricey at $199 plus the active.com fees. The Chicago Marathon (a major no less!) was cheaper.
Wow, that's crazy!

Plus all of the RnR races have gotten really crazy (and way too crowded too).

My favorite marathon--my best--was also the cheapest:
http://www.lostdutchmanmarathon.org/...n-information/
(it was about $75 the year I did it).
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM

If you like nighttime running, you may want to look into the ET Full Moon Midnight Half. Running in the middle of the night with only the moonlight to guide you. Make a wrong turn, and you end up at the edge of Area 51
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more

If you like nighttime running, you may want to look into the ET Full Moon Midnight Half. Running in the middle of the night with only the moonlight to guide you. Make a wrong turn, and you end up at the edge of Area 51
Thanks for the suggestion! I won't have as many days off as I was expecting so I'm looking at something closer than Tromso's. I've seen the Provo midnight run and sounds like an option too.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Just some of my musings!! I ran Vegas two years ago and was pretty disappointed. First, it starts in the afternoon. While not a bad thing in itself, I found myself somewhat bored as I tried to figure out what I was going to do with myself for 6+ hours that didn't include alot of walking, booze, etc. The race itself wasn't bad...the first four miles and last mile was great! The middle parts through the suburbs was pretty boring. I'll skip this one from now on.

Walt Disney Marathon is FANTASTIC! One of the best marathons I've ever ran from a participant standpoint. Every single detail was thought of! Of course...you pay dearly for that wit the registration fee! Only negative is you have to be on the bus at some ungodly hour!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.