Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

SMA infant formula - avail. in the U.S.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Can you buy SMA Gold baby formula in the USA, and if so, is it widely available?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, never seen that brand here. The US market is dominated by Similac (Abbot), Enfamil (Mead Johnson) and Good Start (Nestle). There are some store brands, but most of them are unbranded versions of the three I mentioned. SMA Nutrition does not sell outside the UK and Ireland AFAIK.

There are a couple of online vendors that carry it, but you won't find it in stores anywhere.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:04 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let's move this to our OMNI forum for added assistance. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Even if it was, it would not be the same as what you are use to. Country to country, baby formula can be different based on where they are selling it.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Even though this thread does not concern travel, it's been suggested that it might do better in our Traveling with Children forum.

And I tend to agree so we'll switch it over but also leave a re-direct here in OMNI.

Please follow at it's new home.

Thanks.

Cholula
OMNI Co-Moderator
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cholula
Even though this thread does not concern travel, it's been suggested that it might do better in our Traveling with Children forum.

And I tend to agree so we'll switch it over but also leave a re-direct here in OMNI.

Please follow at it's new home.

Thanks.

Cholula
OMNI Co-Moderator
This thread does concern travel I am travelling to the USA with my baby and would like to know whether you can buy SMA there.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
This thread does concern travel I am travelling to the USA with my baby and would like to know whether you can buy SMA there.
You'll have to bring it here, or ship it before you leave for the States. How long will you be here for? Only other option would be to switch to a different brand, but I know from experience that that won't be a very easy option.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:33 pm

Can you buy SMA Gold baby formula in the USA, and if so, is it widely available?
Yes, it is sold. No, it is not widely available. The children's hospital I used to work for always stocked it, but it came from a specialty distributor.

Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer and ask how to purchase it in the US; i.e. from a specialty retailer or via mail order.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Mar 16, 2009 at 12:27 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread does [not] concern travel I am travelling to the USA with my baby and would like to know whether you can buy SMA there.
FlyerTalk is a funny thing.

Even the Mods can't always agree where to put a thread, and they spend a lot of time here! Imagine what a newbie (no, not you) feels like.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses ^

ScottC we are passing through the states on a three week trip, but will be provisioning in the USA. It looks like I had better take 3 kilos of baby formula in my baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.