Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infant Carrier

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Infant Carrier

I flew on Delta last week with my 2 month old as an infant in arms. On the trip back, the flight attendant required me to remove the infant from my front carrier. (similar setup to a Bjorn) Is this an actual FAA regulation? Can anyone explain the safety rationale behind this? I'm genuinely curious.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Travel With Children Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: United Plus
Yes, it's for your child's safety.

Attached to you in forward impact, you would crush your child. If the child is loose in your arms, they might be thrown forward but they would have a chance of surviving. In a prepared emergency, with many companies, you would wrap your child in a blanket and hold him or her to the floor. Children have survived this way.

I'm a former Flight Attendant.

The only way to fly safely with a child is to use a car seat on board but infants are allowed in laps for commercial reasons and because air travel is so safe. Statistically, there is very little chance of anything going wrong.

Carriers are great for travel, especially the comfortable kind which you can sit down with and the child can sleep in. I used a sling which was a g-dsend on long flights alone with three small children. But for take-off and landing, your child cannot be attached to you in any way. "Belly belts" or those secondary seatbelts are banned in the U.S.

Here's a great video, unfortunately in German but watch and it'll have a grafic of what I'm explaining.

I wish I could give credit to the person who originally posted it on this board;

http://www.sf.tv/sf1/kassensturz/man...0080520-gurten

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Jan 9, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.