Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Food that can be brought on the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

With all the liquid bans and restrictions from the lovely TSA, what FOODS can be brought on the plane.

Toddler twins, 2.5 years old. I have read and will print the liquid policy allowing a "reasonable" amount of juice but what about foods? Is applesauce allowed? What about yogurt?

I would assume that the freezer gel packs to keep things cold are no longer allowed?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:33 am

Medications, baby formula and food, breast milk, and juice are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Click here to learn more about 3-1-1

All items including formula, breast milk, and juice will be inspected, however, you or your infant or toddler will not be asked to test or taste breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) for explosives.

Click here to read about traveling with formula, breast milk, juice, and baby food.
All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.

Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.

Learn more by getting the the 3-1-1 on Carry-ons

Make sure you understand what you can and cannot bring aboard your flight. Permitted and prohibited items - What can I bring?

You should only carry on the liquids and gels needed for you and your infant/toddler’s immediate comfort. You should pack larger volumes needed for your trip in your checked bag.

Children with Disabilities
If your child has a disability or medical condition, please read our separate section on traveling with Children with Disabilities.

Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:48 am
Original Poster

But what about foods? Like I said, I understand the liquid/juice policy and the "reasonable" amount but what about applesauce and yogurt?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:31 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NOTaFF
I would assume that the freezer gel packs to keep things cold are no longer allowed?
I have traveled with these recently not in my baggie and had no problems.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN
How long is your flight? If it's a short one, maybe you don't really need to bring all that stuff. If it's long haul - and a meal will be served - you can order special meals to your kids, which normally contain either apple sauce or yogurt, or both.

If you want to avoid trouble, bring only "dry foods": cookies, pretzels, crackers, fruit, etc. If you need anything else, buy at the airport (after security). IMO, 2,5 yo kids can eat pretty much anything adults eat.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:39 pm

Not sure how long you are flying...but I have flown domestic and international w/my now 3 1/2 about 8 times and have never had an issue with bringing any of the following:

Fruit juice in a sippy cup (it was over 4 oz and they just looked at it, never opened it - they were able to determine it was juice by looking through the thick plastic - don't even get me going!!!!!)
Cookies
Fruit Bars (like Nutragrain Bars)
Dry Cereal
Applesauce in little cup ( you know those single servings - don't forget the plastic spoon!!)
Candy
Pretzels in a zip lock
Goldfish

Never brought anything that needed to be kept cold. That's a bit to much to lug around. Especially since you're gonna haul things to keep em busy!

The only time I was slapped on the wrist was when I tried to sneak a bottle of water through security. If you have to have the liquids - just save the hassle and buy it at the airport - save yourself the headache !!!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

redhead,

Thanks so much! Yes, the applesauce in the single serve cups is exactly what I was thinking about.

As for the cold, the kids have their lunchboxes that will keep things chilled, Cheese is what I'm specifically thinking about.

l'etoile,

Thanks for the info on the gel packs.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:10 pm

How about milk?

My problem is that my DD drinks whole milk. It is her comfort food as well. Where do I get that inside the airport? Do they have that on the airplane? Would appreciate some advice and feedback here.

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
No, there isn't usually whole milk available as a beverage on the airplane.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I bring those little apple sauce six packs all the time in the carry on and it never gets a second look.. will bring yogurt from the club lounge on occasion and that makes it thru without a question as well.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as what you are bringing looks likes its in a consumable quantity
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. You can bring along a container of WHOLE Milk for a kid. 2. Although things may have changed recently on some carriers I found that all carriers DO in fact carry whole milk as a beverage for precisely this purpose.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
I have read and will print the liquid policy allowing a "reasonable" amount of juice but what about foods? Is applesauce allowed? What about yogurt?
"Reasonable' is defined by the TSA agent that you are dealing with...it is not consistent between the agents, airports and etc. We have been on 4 to 10 hour flights and had no problems with the amount that we were carrying. However, we have been on flights where the TSA agent questioned the amount and we said it is a 4 hour flight and the response was ‘so what’. A few times, we asked for the supervisor and the supervisor allowed us to carry our items.

In regards to yogurt, the answer is ‘no’. Our 2-YO loves the Whipped Chocolate Mousse Yogurt by Yoplait. It is a ‘solid’ to us...it doesn’t have the consistency of regular yogurt, pudding and etc. But according to the TSA agents that we encountered it is even when we open the top and try to pour it out and it doesn’t come out.

We have never had problems.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Had no issue with the applesauce or the extra liquids. Didn't try the yogurt as it seemed too much hassle to keep chilled enough on an 8 hour flight.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.