Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Ticket for Unborn Un-named Child

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket for Unborn Un-named Child

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Bumping an old thread only because it was suggested to go through in the sticky

I've heard recommendations that we book a flight for me + wife, and after baby is born, call the airline (or agent) to add newborn to the PNR as a lap child.

Anything wrong with that?
Assuming a plane hasn't hit its limit for lap children (highly unlikely as that tends to be), what you are considering works; just also realize that: there may be variation in the lap-child ticket price (which may work to your advantage or disadvantage); and there may be more phone/ticket counter time/hassle involved in having to get it issued at a time other than when booking the accompanying adult ticket.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I ended up going through my agent who can hold the ticket for a week including the unborn child as "FakeFirstName MyLastName" and will edit once my wife gives birth next week.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
This is probably a dumb question, but if you know that the child's going to be born in a week, why not just pick a name now?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
This is probably a dumb question, but if you know that the child's going to be born in a week, why not just pick a name now?
Because we don't know the birthdate, so she (TA) said she just puts in a fake birthday in the past and name to hold it, as the real name doesn't matter, because she'll anyways need to change that.

Also, while we're 99% sure of the sex, it has happened that friends of ours had a surprise, and that would mean a different name for him/her accordingly

But not a dumb question at all
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:30 am

Also, while we're 99% sure of the sex, it has happened that friends of ours had a surprise, and that would mean a different name for him/her accordingly
Knowing the sex seems to be a typical American trait. In many countries the parents don't ask.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by erik123
Knowing the sex seems to be a typical American trait. In many countries the parents don't ask.
And the doctors/ultrasound technicians don't always give the accurate answer to the sex question even when asked.

And in some places, some doctors/technicians won't provide the factually correct answer if asked, due to legal and/or moral/ethical concerns.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
We haven't dealt with American doctors, nor did we specifically ask. The doctor asked if we wanted to know, and asked in a way as if, of course we want to know

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And the doctors/ultrasound technicians don't always give the accurate answer to the sex question even when asked.
Which is why relying on that info isn't enough for a correct name

And in some places, some doctors/technicians won't provide the factually correct answer if asked, due to legal and/or moral/ethical concerns.
This I've never heard and sounds terrible. To lie for legal or ethical reasons?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
And in some places, some doctors/technicians won't provide the factually correct answer if asked, due to legal and/or moral/ethical concerns. ?
This I've never heard and sounds terrible. To lie for legal or ethical reasons?
I don't know about lying, but in some countries, they won't provide the information because of the prevalence of sex-selection abortion (or self-imposed abortion).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.