Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Britax Car Seats: Questions and Experiences" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Britax Car Seats: Questions and Experiences" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by KoreanKing
Thanks for the replies.

I'm in economy because I'm traveling with my wife and son who are both non-elites.
That doesn't matter. You can bring them with you into E+. Call and have them change your seats.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1167,00.html
Old May 28, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
That doesn't matter. You can bring them with you into E+. Call and have them change your seats.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1167,00.html
Actually, I think it depends on whether you bought one additional ticket (plus lap child) or two (i.e. ticket for the infant also.) Ironically, I think only if you did NOT buy the child a ticket, can you get in E+, since as a 1P you can get only one seat upgraded E to E+, but not 2.

IIRC, when I booked 2 tix on UA I was given the E+ option, but not now when I book 3 (DS is now 3 and needs his own seat.)

p.s. Maybe your 18-month-old is extraordinarily well-behaved (if so good for you!) but with a car seat they can pretty much always kick the seat back in economy. Hopefully they don't want to, though I have at times resorted to physically restraining his legs until he bored of that game.

Last edited by sucheng; May 28, 2010 at 11:18 am
Old May 28, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I already called United and was told that we couldn't sit in economy+ because 2 of the 3 ticket holders were not elite members. They said I could bring one person, but not the third. The service agent suggested that I bring my wife with me and leave my son in the back until I mentioned his age.

I'm hoping my son won't be able to kick the seat in front because his legs only extend a couple of inches past the car seat. Maybe I'm delusional in thinking just how much space there will be between the seats. I haven't ridden in economy in a long time.
Old May 29, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by KoreanKing
I already called United and was told that we couldn't sit in economy+ because 2 of the 3 ticket holders were not elite members. They said I could bring one person, but not the third. The service agent suggested that I bring my wife with me and leave my son in the back until I mentioned his age.

I'm hoping my son won't be able to kick the seat in front because his legs only extend a couple of inches past the car seat. Maybe I'm delusional in thinking just how much space there will be between the seats. I haven't ridden in economy in a long time.
Yes, there is no room. My advice to you is to call back until you find someone willing to move you all to E+. I have done this many times, when Mr. 6RR was only a 1P and I had no status, nor did our child. We were all able to have seats in E+. The rule is always, "if you don't get what you want the first time, call again until you do."
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
And always ask for the seat belt extender from the FA and make sure that one of the buckles is located on the SIDE of the seat, not in back. We have had to get maintenance called to take the seatbelt connection apart after the buckle was physically not able to be opened in back of our Britax Marathon.
OMG! We have flown a bunch with our car seats (DS1 and DS2 ages 1 and 3 now) and this never occurred to me! we have had this problem several times, when I pulled the seat belt tight under our Britax Boulevard and no way in h*** DH could undo it (his hand -unlike mine- does not fit under the seat to reach the buckle). Several times he has been the last off the plane by far because he was fighting with the buckle for 10+ minutes. It sucked. Thank you so much - I will have to remember this.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sucheng
OMG! We have flown a bunch with our car seats (DS1 and DS2 ages 1 and 3 now) and this never occurred to me! we have had this problem several times, when I pulled the seat belt tight under our Britax Boulevard and no way in h*** DH could undo it (his hand -unlike mine- does not fit under the seat to reach the buckle). Several times he has been the last off the plane by far because he was fighting with the buckle for 10+ minutes. It sucked. Thank you so much - I will have to remember this.
We fly with a Britax Roundabout and have not had any issues on various aircraft..but have never tried on RJs.

As for the buckle,we flip it over before installing and have been easily able to release it later. I have asked several times for an extender and are usually told we don't need it and they will be needed for pax. Does anyone know how many extenders are usually aboard a given aircraft?
Old May 1, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
asking for an extender

When I ask for an extender as we board, I appeal to the flight attendants' motivation to deplane quickly when we land by telling them that I would be able to get us off the plane a LOT quicker if I have an extender. I've never been turned down.

There is typically more than 1 extender on the plane especially if more than 1 attendant is using them for the seat belt demo.
Old May 1, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: United Plus
Great tip!

Yes, I would hand off my demo seat belt if we were short (after the demo, obviously). It's the same belt lol!

One small tip, if your company uses a video, they still have demo kits on board, in case the machine breaks (happened to us once). So there are always "extra" extenders in the demo kits.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Cool, I never thought of this. We have an extender that we got at the DL Do. We will have to pack this for our next flight.
Old May 2, 2011, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We have the Britax Marathon for my one year old and the Britax Booster (can't remember the name, but its' black). I like the booster because its a little item that can be carried off and on the plane.. If I had two marathons, it would be difficult to carry to and fro to the rental vehicles, or through the airport.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:16 am

Does anyone have any experience with a Britax Marathon on Hawaiian Airlines on the A330's? We are in the Extra Comfort seats in the bulkhead.

A bit more info, we have two seats on the window side, and the aisle seat in the middle section. Will HA allow the car seat to be next to the window?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.