Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Car Seat or Not To Car Seat, That is the Question...[Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Absolutely buy. You can get small (e.g., ~12x18x4") Cosco boosters at Target for <$20. Simple to just toss in the overhead bin on your way there, and cheap enough you can consider it disposable if you really don't want to to take it back with you. Way less than renting anything, and no stress.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA
We always rent - the regulations differ from country to country and I am not dragging 4 car seats as part of my checked luggage allowance.

In the past we have been given some car seats at major rental stations like LHR that we didn't like to look of, but on complaining were able to select from a large assortment they had available...so it never hurts to ask. I dislike the idea of buying something like that and throwing it away afterwards - is a $20 seat from Target going to be any good?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by expatboy
We always rent - the regulations differ from country to country and I am not dragging 4 car seats as part of my checked luggage allowance.

In the past we have been given some car seats at major rental stations like LHR that we didn't like to look of, but on complaining were able to select from a large assortment they had available...so it never hurts to ask. I dislike the idea of buying something like that and throwing it away afterwards - is a $20 seat from Target going to be any good?
Yes, a $20 booster seat meets all the same regulations as a $200 booster seat. Same goes for car seats.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjque
I disagree with the "never rent" advice - I do it from time to time, but I know the risks in advance. There's always a chance that the seat you get will not be the best, or that it won't even be available. You need to have a backup plan if that occurs. If you're willing to accept that risk, renting is a great option, particularly for those of us who travel solo with our kids. So far, I've never had a problem renting.
+1. We rented full size carseats and never had a problem. Thankfully now its boosters (base only) and those are easy to carry.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by expatboy
IIRC, car seats generally do not count as part of your allowance - at least on AA.

I do get the pita of carrying them though!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: United Plus
Also, car seats should never be checked as luggage. This is not smart! They can easily be busted or lost, just like luggage.

If you have four children who still need car seats (not boosters), it's time to look into a Ride Safer Travel Vest. If you're visiting friends/family where you go often, consider buying and keeping them with whomever you visit. Renting from a car rental company is usually not wise. They're often poorly maintained, old, dirty or they just run out (happened to me as a FTM). Don't make my mistake! If you must rent, an equipment rental company is probably a better route, though not ideal.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
If you have four children who still need car seats (not boosters), it's time to look into a Ride Safer Travel Vest
A US-centric product that does those of us outside the US little good. FAQs on the website state it's not certified in the UK and can only be used in Canada with a prescription. Having friends and family store car seats is a sensible option if they live close to the airport but an 8 hour round trip negates the practicalities of this. I appreciate that if you are travelling to somewhere with little or no regulation (e.g. India) then this harness arrangement would work well.

My eight year old does not legally need a car seat here in Australia (although we still use one for her). When we travel to the UK she requires a booster until either 12 years of age or she reaches a specific height - in any case it is unlikely that I can get a seat here in Australia that is certified to UK standards, since the ones we had when we lived in the UK (Cyber Pallas) were not legal here.

Redhead, appreciate that they are not normally part of checked baggage - sorry about my poor wording! BA let you take them (and a buggy) in addition to normal luggage too ^.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: United Plus
I have to confess that I drove for years here in France, including neighboring countries, with U.S. car seats. I decided that it was more important to keep my kids safe than abide by the law. I was stopped numerous times by the police and nothing was mentioned. I even installed one into a French police car once and one of the officers was joking about it "not liking" his French police car.

Still, never check car seats as luggage. Be sure to bring them to the gate and gate-check them if they can't be used on board. I would do a RSTV if it's safer, if not strictly legal, than using a crap seat from a car rental place. I've never heard of anyone getting arrested for this. It depends on the country...
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:10 am

We are flying on Cathy Pacific ORD-HKG with our 22 months old child and have 3 business class seats for all 3.

I wonder if we should put him on a car seat or put him on the plane's seat with something like the Cares safety restraint? Since the seat can be made to flat bed, he can sleep like he does on crib at home during sleep time? We have used the car seat before as suggested by Flyertalkers and bought at Walmart for around $25. It is not heavy but is is big in size and hate to take this around in our hand. And when you are visiting multiple cities, it is really not easy.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage
For a 22mo I would not even hesitate to use the regular airplane seatbelt on the lay-flat seat. But definitely bring a carseat for car travel when you get there, separately.

I thought of this thread when I heard Freakonomics Radio on NPR covering studies showing that once a child is 3yo or older, even in a car, the car's seat belt is as safe as a child safety seat. I was obviously upset to hear that car seats haven't evolved to be safer with all the regulations and testing, but there you have it.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by lg10
For a 22mo I would not even hesitate to use the regular airplane seatbelt on the lay-flat seat. But definitely bring a carseat for car travel when you get there, separately.

I thought of this thread when I heard Freakonomics Radio on NPR covering studies showing that once a child is 3yo or older, even in a car, the car's seat belt is as safe as a child safety seat. I was obviously upset to hear that car seats haven't evolved to be safer with all the regulations and testing, but there you have it.
I wouldn't bring car seat for taxi and mostly stroller ride in trains in Asia for 2 year old. It just makes no sense!
If I think Car seat is a good idea for flight, I'd do it. still not sure to bring the Cares restrain belt or car seat.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I wouldn't bring car seat for taxi and mostly stroller ride in trains in Asia for 2 year old. It just makes no sense!
If I think Car seat is a good idea for flight, I'd do it. still not sure to bring the Cares restrain belt or car seat.
Mathematically, the more dangerous part of the trip without a carseat would be the taxi or other car rides in Asia. Flights are enormously safer than road travel to start with, and the Cares/carseat makes little to no difference on the flight's safety statistics when compared to a seat belt.

But believe me, I realize, having done it, how annoying it is to lug a carseat and a toddler into a taxi driven by an impatient person with whom you may or may not share a language or cultural priorities around car travel safety.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by lg10
Mathematically, the more dangerous part of the trip without a carseat would be the taxi or other car rides in Asia. Flights are enormously safer than road travel to start with, and the Cares/carseat makes little to no difference on the flight's safety statistics when compared to a seat belt.

But believe me, I realize, having done it, how annoying it is to lug a carseat and a toddler into a taxi driven by an impatient person with whom you may or may not share a language or cultural priorities around car travel safety.
I am just spending a week in HKG and if the MTR or the public train system is as good as the one in Singapore, I will always be taking train to get around and child will be in stroller. The last time, I traveled to asia when he was 16 months, we never had to use car seat except for the flights. Stoller is so helpful and the best way to get around if they have good public rail system and train stations with elevators. But I agree if you will be riding any cars, be it taxis or any car for number of times, I'd definitely take the car seat.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
We are flying on Cathy Pacific ORD-HKG with our 22 months old child and have 3 business class seats for all 3.

I wonder if we should put him on a car seat or put him on the plane's seat with something like the Cares safety restraint? Since the seat can be made to flat bed, he can sleep like he does on crib at home during sleep time? We have used the car seat before as suggested by Flyertalkers and bought at Walmart for around $25. It is not heavy but is is big in size and hate to take this around in our hand. And when you are visiting multiple cities, it is really not easy.
I'm considering booking 3 business seats on Cathay as well for my sister, her husband, and my nephew.. however I read that Cathay doesn't allow car seats in their reverse herringbone setup (which I believe is every long haul plane now).. could you give some input on your previous travel on Cathay? My nephew will be 12 months old at time of flying. TIA
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
I'm considering booking 3 business seats on Cathay as well for my sister, her husband, and my nephew.. however I read that Cathay doesn't allow car seats in their reverse herringbone setup (which I believe is every long haul plane now).. could you give some input on your previous travel on Cathay? My nephew will be 12 months old at time of flying. TIA
That's news to me that CX don't allow car seats on those herringbone seats.
I have never flown on CX so I really don't know. I do have biz seats booked on these seats on 16 hr flight and flying soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.