Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Port-a-crib in FC or BC where personal space around seat permits - anyone done it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Port-a-crib in FC or BC where personal space around seat permits - anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card

Searched and didn't find anything. We have an 11 month old, but really tall/long. She already outsizes most bassinets, which frankly we did not realize would be the case when booking some premium award tickets at the 330 day window. So it is what it is, and it ain't changin' now. We have 5 or 6 upcoming nonstop international longhauls in premium cabins, mostly first class. Airlines in question are ANA, SQ, CX, JAL, AF and VS. So wisdom aside, our baby technically will be a lap child in almost all cases.

My specific question is this. Where one's "personal space" surrounding one's seat is large enough to accommodate it, has anyone ever used a small port-a-crib for a lap infant? Any advice? Any particular models which work well as a piece of carry on baggage?

I am thinking for example the solo seat in row 1 on SQ 747's, or the 1AC area on JAL Skysleeper duo's with miles and miles ahead of you (setting the port a crib by the window, extending the aisle seat to a bed and then Dad is in the window seat not fully reclined).

Thoughts on this? (Hoping to avoid the moral debate over whether we are "good people" or "bad people".) Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:46 pm

Does the space you hope to use include the area around an emergency exit? If so, I doubt you'd be allowed to put anything in it, as impeding access to exits is always banned.

Also, what size/model port-a-crib do you have? I've never seen one that would both accomodate an 11 month old and be anywhere close to small enough for in-flight use.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:43 am

On almost all carriers this isn't a problem - many even provide bassinets that have to be placed on your lap or the floor and there are no regulations prohibiting it. If you are in business or first this is an excellent solutions - though you'll be asked to hold the kid when the seatbelt sign is on. I wouldn't ask the crew in any case as the knee jerk reaction to any request regarding children on some carriers is often 'no'.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by erik123
On almost all carriers this isn't a problem - many even provide bassinets that have to be placed on your lap or the floor and there are no regulations prohibiting it. If you are in business or first this is an excellent solutions - though you'll be asked to hold the kid when the seatbelt sign is on. I wouldn't ask the crew in any case as the knee jerk reaction to any request regarding children on some carriers is often 'no'.
Thanks, I think we will give it a whirl where possible. Of course, we won't plan to block any emergency exits (not really any to block in the nosecones of 747's...).
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:20 pm

You can't sit in an emergency exit with a child - so that point is moot (even if you were flying Y).
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
You may be more comfortable for you to see if you can get a seat. We have traveled a lot Internationaly when my son was a lap child. We did it once.
Never again after the once.
I feel for you
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Have you looked into carry cots? This picture is just one example.

What you would do is still try to request a bulkhead seat and lay the cot on the floor.

The only downside is that they are somewhat bulky, but if you're travelling with another adult, it would be manageable. They would store pretty easily in the overhead bin for takeoff/landing.

$70 here (Oops, this is an Australian site.) Search for a Bertini reseller in the US, and they may be able to get you one like this.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Apr 24, 2007 at 3:39 pm
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Have you looked into carry cots? This picture is just one example.

What you would do is still try to request a bulkhead seat and lay the cot on the floor.

The only downside is that they are somewhat bulky, but if you're travelling with another adult, it would be manageable. They would store pretty easily in the overhead bin for takeoff/landing.

$70 here (Oops, this is an Australian site.) Search for a Bertini reseller in the US, and they may be able to get you one like this.
THANK YOU !!!!!! ^ ^ ^

These look perfect!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Well, after 1 hour of Internet research, it seems really hard to find a carry cot:

1. In the United States and
2. For any infant over 6 months of age.

If anyone has any suggestions as to one, that would be much appreciated. Conceptually for our situation, i.e. nosecone of a 747 in row 1 with tons of floor space, but potentially no extra seat, this seems like the perfect solution. I may try to actually build something if I can't find a suitable product...
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Have you seen the samsonite one? It's 88cms long when unfolded, so almost 3ft.

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product...=UTF8&mcb=core

(also comes in pink, but I liked that photo better as it's got "our" giraffe in it!)

Note also that the SQ bassinettes seemed to be far bigger than the ones on BA and had a great mechanism to stop the baby from escaping

The age limitation on these things is that you shouldn't use them after the baby can sit up unaided, presumably as they could then roll or flop out onto the floor. That's going to be the case with any low-sided item without some kind of strapping in mechanism though, so you'll just have to make a judgement call on that one (and presumably not both sleep at the same time as the baby).
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Have you seen the samsonite one? It's 88cms long when unfolded, so almost 3ft.

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product...=UTF8&mcb=core

(also comes in pink, but I liked that photo better as it's got "our" giraffe in it!)

Note also that the SQ bassinettes seemed to be far bigger than the ones on BA and had a great mechanism to stop the baby from escaping

The age limitation on these things is that you shouldn't use them after the baby can sit up unaided, presumably as they could then roll or flop out onto the floor. That's going to be the case with any low-sided item without some kind of strapping in mechanism though, so you'll just have to make a judgement call on that one (and presumably not both sleep at the same time as the baby).
We had one of these for the LO and it was great - although never used it on a plane as we were only going SH not LH. Very portable and easy, and light too.

They do make a larger version for 6months plus, but we haven't tried that one.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by thesilb
Well, after 1 hour of Internet research, it seems really hard to find a carry cot:

1. In the United States and
2. For any infant over 6 months of age.

If anyone has any suggestions as to one, that would be much appreciated. Conceptually for our situation, i.e. nosecone of a 747 in row 1 with tons of floor space, but potentially no extra seat, this seems like the perfect solution. I may try to actually build something if I can't find a suitable product...
Frankly, I question the wisdom of putting a tall 11 month old in such a product. By that age, many kids are able to pull themsleves up, if not actually climb and walk; mine walked at 9 months - and probably would have killed himself trying to climb out of that Samsonite travel crib. Unless you can weight it down or secure it to the floor, I see the child as being likely to tip it over and land on their head, as a young child's head is the heaviest part of them.

One of the links I looked at actually said "Suitable from birth until baby is able to sit up unaided (approx. 6mths)" so you might want to think twice about using one.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:53 pm

Hi, I understand your concerns. First, I woudl concur with Swiss Tony: SQ has reasonable size bassinettes, 77cm long and up to 14kg in Economy, not sure if they are teh same in Business/ First Class though. It depends on teh flight crew as to whether they "let" you have the bassinette: some will check if the child is too long, others don't. There is enough room to lie on their side for sleeping so if they are too long it is still worth a go in my opinion. There is a flap over the top that zips together that prevents the child from climbing out. I believe SQ have the biggest bassinettes.

As for the other flights, I personally would be hesitant about teh carrycot idea. I believe a lot of airlines wouldn't let you use it. The exception my be airlines based in the US, some of whom I believe still have bassinettes that sit on the floor.

There are safety issues with a child in a bassinette / carrycot on the floor, the main one in my opinion being having things dropped on their heads or stepped on. Also potential issues in turbulence and the temptation for the child to climb out if they are on the floor.

I have flown several times with my now 16 month old, we have a trip form Australia to teh UK in 6 weeks for which we have booked a seat for him (in Economy). It seemed more worth it IYKWIM.

In your position the only way I woudl consider taking a carrucot was if it was (a) long enough and (b) able to be folded flat (for storage if youa ren't allowed to use it). The best example I can find is http://www.goldbug.com.au/collection.php?s=tra, look at the Infant Bed, but it is only 74cm long, don't know how long your bub is.
I would still request a bassinette on all legs. I would hope and ask for a spare seat (they will not necessarily volunteer one unless you ask). I would mentally prepare myself to have a child sleeping alongside me or on me: which includes thinking of some sort of long pillowy thing and / or a sleeping bag and making sure you go to the toilet before trying to get them to sleep. Unless your flights are all overnight they won't be asleep much anyway, and the carrycot will be in the way. Also be aware that most airlines require you to take the child out of the bassinette if there is turbulence. This can be quite distressing and had us considering teh point of using the bassinette anyway (this may be a comfort to you if your child is too long for one!)

Sorry for the long reply, hope that helps!

Sue
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: Various
Hmm, what about a PeaPod? (http://www.kidsurplus.com/kcop100.html) That might fit in the space available, and it folds up small enough to be an easy carryon item.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.