Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

What is the best non-electronic games for kids.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum

Keeping the younger kids occupied is a chore. What are best board games these days for the under 12 crowd? Someone keeps suggesting Chutes and Ladders but isn't that game older than dirt? The interaction of a board game seems more socially rewarding than handing the kid a PSP.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Our almost 9 year old LOVES yahtzee, and there is a (quieter) travel size available. There are travel size editions of lots of board games but I think it depends on the child. She also loves horses, so I bought her the Breyer horse card game. It's good for on board as well. I started playing Scrabble and Boggle at a very young age and we have travel sizes of both of those - however, I am the only one keen to play those.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:08 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
My son always enjoyed brain-teaser-type puzzles. Rush Hour is a good one; tangrams are fun. Both are nice and small for packing.

http://www.amazon.com/Rush-Hour-Traf...UTF8&s=generic

Brick-by-Brick is another good one.
http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-Bric...438358-4863361

I think all of these are recommended for ages 8 and up, and in some cases there are junior versions for younger ones.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:26 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by westcoastman
Keeping the younger kids occupied is a chore. What are best board games these days for the under 12 crowd? Someone keeps suggesting Chutes and Ladders but isn't that game older than dirt? The interaction of a board game seems more socially rewarding than handing the kid a PSP.
I vote for Jenga, but the games can get rowdy...

My 4 yo boy loves Chutes and Ladders. He also has a Dora Bingo, but I guess that is partially electronic.

What about Life and Monopoly?
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by fajimenez
I vote for Jenga, but the games can get rowdy...

My 4 yo boy loves Chutes and Ladders. He also has a Dora Bingo, but I guess that is partially electronic.

What about Life and Monopoly?
OK so you are saying that Chutes and Ladders is still current. Partially electronic is not a problem - I meant I wanted to avoid video games. Monopoly takes way too much attention and time. Plus I have been unsure if Monopoly would be apropriate for a 3-year-old.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:32 am

OK so you are saying that Chutes and Ladders is still current. Partially electronic is not a problem - I meant I wanted to avoid video games. Monopoly takes way too much attention and time. Plus I have been unsure if Monopoly would be apropriate for a 3-year-old.
Didn't know how young your wee one was.

Chutes and Ladders is his favorite right now. It is very useful to help teach him how to take turns and counting from one to six.

I wouldn't quite go with Monopoly yet.

Have you tried age appropriate jigsaw puzzles?

Also, "Concentration" flip card games are quite good. Pick a character he likes -- Nemo, Cars, etc... they have them...
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
My three year old has zero tolerance for any game. It makes me question her parentage except that in every other way she acts like me. I don't know - maybe she'll like games later. I can keep hoping she'll play boggle with me since no one else will.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by fajimenez
....Have you tried age appropriate jigsaw puzzles?

Also, "Concentration" flip card games are quite good. Pick a character he likes -- Nemo, Cars, etc... they have them...
My almost 3 y.o. loves puzzels and they travel easy. Most recently got a Dora and a Scooby. I think the flip card games are a great idea also.

Keba
Old Dec 4, 2006, 10:53 pm

Not a game in the multiplayer sense, but ColorWonder has puzzle books as well as coloring books - no mess, very portable, very quiet and my kid loves 'em. (he used to take them to Church until he got old enough to pay attention to the service)
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:19 am

i think the best games are ones i don't mind playing, just in case.

uno, the card game is easy, light to pack etc.
and catch phrase is super, if you have readers.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:57 am
aly

Exclamation how about..

my niece and nephew love CRANIUM,

brought it from UK a few years ago, dont know if thats something u already have or think they may enjoy.. its perhaps already part of your gaming repertoire..

Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:46 am

the most obvious one of all

Completely forgot this one until my wife mentioned it -- books!

Read to and with him/her. My son is absolutely crazy for killer whales, sharks and dolphins right now -- we've had every book (with lots of pictures) from the public library on the subject at our house at least once!

He memorizes many facts from the book and if you forget to read one caption, he reminds you of it and what it is!
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:28 am

By far one of the best games on the market is Blokus and they now have a travel version for 2 people.

We play this with our 7 and 9 year old and the 7 year old (who has an affinity for spatial things) regularly finishes in the top 2 out of the 4 of us (I won't say who else is usually there - hee!).
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:18 pm

Until age 2, I know of no non-parent games a child can do alone. However, a pad of Post-It notes (no pen, no markers, just Post-Its) is a remarkable thing to pack! All three of my kids were fascinated with the stickiness and, by the end of the flight, would have covered every surface, including themselves. Sometimes I would draw a cat or a dog or a baby or something on one, and that one became "special" for a while.

My daughters were very easy to deal with on planes. I could bring plain white paper and washable markers (Pipsqueaks by Crayola are fabulous) and a few stickers and they were set for 1-2 hours. I also brought a bright clipboard (with the low-profile clip) so they weren't stuck working on the tray.

We've always had a DVD player for them, and now both my husband and I have Video iPods that we load with a few SpongeBob episodes, just in case the DVD doesn't do it for them, or if we're split apart. If you're thinking of using a DVD for more than two kids, bring an amplified splitter for the headphones like the Boosteroo or your kids may not be able to hear the audio, even turned all the way up. (I use it even if we're not splitting the audio to 2+ headphones, since I find I otherwise have to crank the sound to a ridiculous level when I'm on a plane.)

My son, on the other hand, is a builder. I did not think I would EVER come up with anything great for him until I saw Klutz Building Cards in a store, gasped, and bought their entire collection. These are like thick playing cards with notches cut out, decorated like castle walls or stained-glass windows. My 3yo son, all by himself, put together a magnificent castle on the tray table and was incredibly busy and proud for an entire 3-hour flight. All I did was get the cards ready for him* and he worked completely by himself the rest of the time. I hadn't even brought a book, because I didn't think I'd get to it, so I know quite a bit about the offerings of the SkyMall.

These Klutz Building Cards do not look like anything special when they are in the package. But once you've built something, it really does look like a 3-D castle or pirate ship, or whatever. They're lightweight, portable, fun, varied, ... I can't say enough good things about them.
Klutz Building Cards
(Note that although I linked to Klutz, all these products are available at Amazon. Just search for Klutz, Klutz Building, Klutz Travel, etc.)

Klutz also has a travel section on their website with other books that might be good. The Spirograph book is fun if the person in front of you doesn't mind a vibrating seat on the plane. (Better save that one for a bulkhead or bring a clipboard.)

*NOTE: If you buy these Building Cards from Klutz, you MUST cut open the package at home. You will be angry and bloodied if you wait until the plane ride, because they are packaged in a hard plastic case designed to thwart entry. I would also advise you to break them apart at home, too, unless you think your child would be interested.

Once our kids were reading well, we insisted they bring 1-2 paperback chapter books, and that helped tremendously, too. We gave them a quarter for each 15 minutes they read without bugging us. $1 an hour for peace on plane...

Good luck!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum - SPG Platinum
I envy you. 3 hours? Nothing... We are about to get on a 2 hour then a 17 hour flight! Yes, SEVENTEEN HOURS! Thank God this particular cabin crew likes him or they would banish is to the lav for the trip for disturbing other pax...

Joe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.