FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   Airlines that do not offer the pre-boarding of kids/infants (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/341192-airlines-do-not-offer-pre-boarding-kids-infants.html)

NOLA Flyer Jul 28, 2004 1:35 pm

Airlines that do not offer the pre-boarding of kids/infants

I just wanted to relate an experience I had flying home on United from Denver last December. United apparently has a policy that prohibits pre-boarding of parents with infants/small children.

There were two couples with infants and carseats that were making their way to line and were not allowed to pre-board. Passengers in the terminal such as myself were upset about this and I asked the GA and he restated that it is UA policy not to pre-board parents with infants/small children.

The parents were visibly upset and rightfully so. It takes time to get kids settled (if they do at all), but-the earlier one does it, the better off everyone will be. As a parent of two small kids myself, I so outraged that I wrote a letter to UA customer service voicing my displeasure over this policy.

I got a form letter back saying that UA will look into the situation and thanked me for my opinion.

I have not flown UA since. Does anyone know if this policy has changed? If not, then shame on UA.

Any UA frequent flyers here who can comment?

Babu Jul 28, 2004 3:27 pm

I guess everyone's different. As the parents of 2 small children, we always board last to minimize the time they're have to be cooped up in the cabin.

erik123 Jul 28, 2004 3:42 pm

my experience is that on international flights they do pre-board parents with infants. (As they should)

gnedge Jul 28, 2004 9:01 pm

If they do not allow pre-boarding, it is a new policy...

I don't have kids, so I can't say I really pay attention to the preboarding announcements listening for it, but I do distinctly hearing the following many, many times in the past:

We would like to pre-board passengers needing special assistance, any parents traveling with small children and anyone that needs additional time boarding. -- or something to that effect.

I only fly United, so...

DerikG Aug 2, 2004 10:43 pm

great tip

One of the best tips I have gotten about from FT about traveling with our 1 y/o daughter is to split up when boarding. Mom boards early with elite's and I stay with my daughter till the last possible minute and then board.

Mom has our daughter's seat, toys, snacks etc all set up when we arrive and I can read for 10 minutes :)

Works for us - your mileage may vary :)

skye Aug 3, 2004 5:31 am

This policy is completely ridiculous. I'm angry! :mad:

uastarflyer Aug 5, 2004 1:10 am

UA has never preboarded families with infants to my knowledge at least since '01. Without getting into the debate, i'll say having premier or premier executive status gets you around that issue, since you (and spouse and chile) would then get to board in the first boarding group.

SanDiego1K Aug 5, 2004 1:36 am

AA doesn't allow preboarding with children

I was on an AA flight from ORD to SAN on Monday. There was a couple with 14 month old triplets in the boarding area. You can imagine the attention cute red headed triplets got. The father boarded with his group, carrying a car seat and some bags. After the entire flight had boarded, he was able to get off and go to help his wife board. An FA was somewhat caustic, telling him he shouldn't be getting off the plane once boarded. He said that they would prefer to preboard, but that AA did not allow it. In a few minutes, back he came with his wife, 3 babies, and additional bags.

The Winger Aug 9, 2004 3:33 pm

I have flown 8 segments over the last few months on UA with my wife and daughter, and did not hear a preboarding announcement on any of these flights. My *Gold status helps get around that little problem, although I find it amazing they don't offer this to parents.

travelcoupons Aug 9, 2004 8:43 pm

i flew 4 segments in June/July & specifically listened for the announcement, never once did they call for preboarding for families with small children. On the first flight, we were one of the last to board & my 2 year old freaked at the sight of so many strangers in such a tight space. Fortunately, he calmed down & enjoyed the rest of the flight & all later flights.

pbiflyer Aug 10, 2004 10:16 pm

Delta does not pre-board anymore

We just recently flew with our 6 month old. Delta does not pre board. We were told that this was because people with infants tend to clog the aisles.
Wouldn't this be reason to have preboarding on infants?
This makes no sense for any of the airlines to not preboard the kids.
Another shining example of the customer service offered by the airlines today.

Tsukiji Aug 12, 2004 7:33 am

We don't preboard. We make it our mission to be the last customers on the flight. Mr. S takes on the car seat for our 1 year old and I stay back with the kids. When we board, we walk right up to our seats, strap everyone in and they close the doors. (Please note that we do not hold up the flight - when I say last, we are always in the boarding area, keeping our eyes on the gate!). This works for us as it keeps the kiddos occupied burning energy until the last possible moment.

I feel that airlines are right in doing away with the automatic preboarding of the flights as oftern they were clogged by many who did not need the service. That said, I do think that they should accomodate special requests. If you ask to preboard, why not?

Just my .02c.

thefannings Jan 6, 2005 8:38 am

They do not announce pre boarding for people with infants and small children. However, you may just board with the first class passengers etc.. You just walk up and get on with them. If you call the airline they will tell you this. :)

TrojanHorse Jan 12, 2005 8:07 pm

my biggest problem with pre-board

is when there is one infant/toddler.. and the entire crew of eight has to pre-board.. this abuse of the system probably helped stop the pre-boarding.. I really don't think everyone has to pre-board.. who ever said that they split it with mom going first with all the junk and dad and child last.. was using their noggin ^

mattgoolsby Apr 27, 2005 1:44 pm

Preboarding on Delta?

Would like to know if anyone has any answers to the following questions.

Anyone have any recent experince with Delta allowing you to preboard if you ask?

We are talking our 18 month old on the ATL-MXP route in June. We paid for a seat and plan on strapping her into her car seat. I would like to be allowed to preboard to have time to get the seat all strapped in, and my wife and child will board last.

Will it be as simple as me asking the gate agents to allow me to do this? Has anyone had problems with this in the recent past? I would hope they would see it is in their best interest from a time standpoint to allow me to do this when no one else has yet boarded.

We will also have a collaspible little stroller as well. Will we have to gate check that or is there some type of storgae closet on the plane where the FA can place it?

Should we ask if the bulkhead seats are open when we check in? We are flying on a 777.