Children for half price?

Old May 23, 2003, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Children for half price?

Does anyone know if any airline will sell a seat to a child (either under 2, but guaranteed seat, or ages 2-15), for half price? Didn't airlines used to do this?

I just checked Frontier Airlines ( www.frontierairlines.com ), who lets you enter the number of adults, seniors, children and infants that are flying. At least on Denver/Vegas, they charge the same price for adults and children.

Specific other airlines that I would like to know about are:

Northwest
United
American

Thanks for your help!
Old May 23, 2003, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Dia
American, Northwest, and United (see pg. 11) all have discount fares for infants occupying a seat. The safest bet would be to call and speak to an agent to make sure you get the discounted fare.
Old May 23, 2003, 9:24 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
The definition of "infant" is less than two years old. The definition of "child" is ages 2 to (17?).

On every domestic fare I've seen, other than Southwest Airlines, there is no discount for children, which is why you're seeing adult and "child" price the same. Infant in a separate seat on domestic fares is 50% off the adult fare.

International fares may have discounts for children.

Southwest Airlines has a child fare, but it's a discount off the full fare. Just about anything less than full fare will be cheaper as an adult.
Old May 23, 2003, 11:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Children for half price?</font>
There are certainly days that I'd sell you mine for half price

Oh wait, that's not what you were asking.

Old May 24, 2003, 7:12 am

I know you didn't specifically ask about America West Airlines, but for others who may be interested, AWA infant fares (less than 2 years with a reserved seat) are 50% off the adult fare. This seems to be true for their domestic as well as Mexico flights.
Old May 25, 2003, 5:23 pm

This is probably of limited use, but Alaska and possibly other airlines often have "Kids Fly Free" promotions to Disneyland.
Old May 28, 2003, 4:23 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Alaska charges 50% of the fare for an infant under two in a confirmed seat.

Child fares (age 2-11) are offered for some of the Mexico markets fares.
Old May 28, 2003, 7:49 am

Programs: AC Elite
This past February, I flew YOW - MSY and ATL - YOW on Air Canada and VPS - ATL on Delta and received a 50% seat for my 8 month old on all segments.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I assume you are talking about 50% of the full coach price? I can see where that might be of value at times, but generally when travelling with a child, the trip is planned well in advance (not a last minute business trip). It appears that if the discount seat price is less than 50% of the full coach price, then they just sell you one of those. Is that correct, or is there a way to get a ticket that is 50% of the discount price?
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FCfree:
I assume you are talking about 50% of the full coach price? I can see where that might be of value at times, but generally when travelling with a child, the trip is planned well in advance (not a last minute business trip). It appears that if the discount seat price is less than 50% of the full coach price, then they just sell you one of those. Is that correct, or is there a way to get a ticket that is 50% of the discount price?</font>
No, the majors will sell you a domestic infant fare for 1/2 of whatever discounted sale fare you buy for yourself. Several years ago (before the industry-wide meltdown) I flew IND-SFO RT on AA for $160, inclusive, and the kids' seats were $80.

Problem is, you may have to call and speak to a human to get the discounted infant fare, since the websites don't seem able to handle this.

Generally, children 2+ get no discounts for domestic flights (WN has a discounted child fare, but regular advance purchase sale fares are usually cheaper), and most airlines give a 25% discount for international tickets (off any fare) for children 2+.

For lap-infants on international flights, the fare is usually 10% of the parent's fare for the cabin in which the infant is seated. That's cheap unless the parent gets clever and upgrades. Then the infant fare is 10% of the upgraded cabin fare (very expensive).
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:46 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Expedia.com will price the 50%-off infant fare.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:16 am

Do these flights earn miles with the discount?
Old Jun 16, 2003, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Northern Willy:
Do these flights earn miles with the discount?</font>
AA's official rules say NO, but my infants earned miles about half the time, and others report routinely earning miles on the half price infant fares.

Don't count on them, but enter the infant's FF number anyway and hope they get them.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 12:26 pm

Programs: AC Elite
I did receive 50% off the discounted price and Baby CL received full UA mileage for the DL and AC flights.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I tried it on Expedia and I see the 1/2 price fare. Frontier gives a fare that is just over 1/2 price.

Too bad there isn't a way to book the 1/2 price fare on United and Frontier's web sites directly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.