Wiki Posts
Search

Solo Dad with baby: JFK-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Solo Dad with baby: JFK-LHR

Hello,

I am new to this site. I will be traveling solo with my almost two year old son next month from JFK to LHR. I am on business but thought I would bring my son along to visit relatives. He has never been on a plane and I am a little nervous doing this solo! I am buying him his own seat. Some of my friends say some airlines are more baby friendly, and provide better amenities such as toys, spare diapers, changing tables in certain lavs, etc than others. I am packing a full supply and then some of food, diapers, wipes, toys, spare clothing etc. but here are my questions:

- Any fathers out there done an 8+ hour flight solo with a baby that is not toilet trained? Any advise?

- What airline would you recommend? I am leaning towards flying BA, who I usually fly with on business, but some say AA or VS might be better choices? The price is not an issue.

- Do the men's washrooms at Heathrow Airport have diaper changing stations?

Thanks for any candid advise! I am looking forward to this father and son bonding opportunity but want to ensure I am prepared!

Tom

Old Sep 28, 2003, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Any fathers out there done an 8+ hour flight solo with a baby that is not toilet trained? Any advise?
This mother of 4 has done many 8+ hour flights with babies who are not toilet trained. From personal experience, I believe that BA is the most baby-friendly airline.As I recall, they were the first to provide changing tables in the lavs. BTW, that flight from JFK to LHR is normally closer to 6+ hours. Welcome to Flyertalk. I look forward to your continued posts and hope that you take the time to peruse all of the great forums on FT.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:23 pm

Hi goldenretriever. Woof! Welcome to Flyertalk.

Dude you're going to have such a wonderful trip that you won't even believe it when its done and were wishing you'd really be on a flite like SFO-SYD. (a LOT longer than the 6+ you're doing.) Should be easy.

My best strategy has been to create a small backpack filled with kiddy stuff that I place in my larger carry-on bag. Then I pull the backpack first and toss under the kids seat.

My onboard supplies include essentials like diapers (bring too many), 1/2 inch stack of wipes in a zip-lock bag, snacks, blank post-it notes, one of those magna-doodle things from Target, a small flashight or blinky light from my bike, some favorite small toys, some new surprise toys, and other goodies.

Then take exactly twice as many consumables (diapers etc) as you packed and pack in your carry-on so you can have the adequate supplies for your return.

On-plane resources are wonderful but not to be counted on. You should be prepared. IIRC, at age 1, I would ask for 3 extra plastic cups on boarding as that was the best resource available for me that the little ones were captivated with.

And get a seat for your kid if you can afford to do so. Makes for happier kid and dad. If they sleep, its great when you can stretch your legs and do so too.

Ask your doctor or nurse practitioner about their opinion of benadryl as a sleep-aid. Sometimes it can make a difference (if you know the correct dosage and also understand your child's reaction to the medicine.) Not in any way an endorsement, but from past experience ours slept...

Email me offline if you want more 411, I'm very happy to share freely.

Fly well! Greg
Old Oct 23, 2003, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Update!...

Just flew back today from LHR to JFK on BA with my Son. Overall I found BA to be excellent and very baby friendly. The Crew onboard in both directions were very professional and helpful. Baby meals were served first, and I was able to eat my meal after my son finished. I didn't even have to ask. An activity pack was handed out (both ways) which was great. Seemed like one Flight Attendant was dedicated to serving all the families onboard. I sat at the very rear of the 747 (where the seat config goes to 2 on the side instaed of 3). I found this area to be great (my Son had his own seat) and it was very close to the lavs for diaper changes. BA DOES have fold down changing tables in their lavs.

The remote control, personal TV screen and children's content kept him entertained for hours!

Anyhow I thought I would share my experience with others.

Kuddos to BA!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoldenRetriever:
Update!...

Just flew back today from LHR to JFK on BA with my Son. Overall I found BA to be excellent and very baby friendly. The Crew onboard in both directions were very professional and helpful. Baby meals were served first, and I was able to eat my meal after my son finished. I didn't even have to ask. An activity pack was handed out (both ways) which was great. Seemed like one Flight Attendant was dedicated to serving all the families onboard. I sat at the very rear of the 747 (where the seat config goes to 2 on the side instaed of 3). I found this area to be great (my Son had his own seat) and it was very close to the lavs for diaper changes. BA DOES have fold down changing tables in their lavs.

The remote control, personal TV screen and children's content kept him entertained for hours!

Anyhow I thought I would share my experience with others.

Kuddos to BA!
</font>
Thanks for the update. Happy that everthing worked out so well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.