Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Opinions on sedating babies and toddler?

Opinions on sedating babies and toddler?

Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by rjque
Google /= data.

Re the OP, someone (not a doctor) once suggested that we give our daughter children's Benadryl prior to a long flight (ORD-HKG). We briefly thought about it and decided not to. Seems unnecessary, and I'm not really comfortable giving medicine to our child unless it is (1) recommended by our own pediatrician; and (2) is designed to make her feel better (rather than us).
Google can help you locate data, even if it isn't data directly.

Regarding your main points, though, I completely agree with #2 . Frankly, if our pediatrician suggested it for a long flight without some other condition present to justify it, I'd be looking for a new doctor.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
GUWonder and levilevi like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Google can help you locate data, even if it isn't data directly.
Sure, but the vast majority of results on Google will be anecdotes. If there is real data on a topic, it's best to link to it rather than lead someone to a search engine that primarily yields anecdotes and non-medical opinions.

Regarding your main points, though, I completely agree with #2 . Frankly, if our pediatrician suggested it for a long flight without some other condition present to justify it, I'd be looking for a new doctor.
Agreed.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Sure, but the vast majority of results on Google will be anecdotes. If there is real data on a topic, it's best to link to it rather than lead someone to a search engine that primarily yields anecdotes and non-medical opinions.
But it's a bit passive-aggressive to ask others to provide data. I mean, if I was aware of *the* seminal paper on the subject, I would mention it. But otherwise, I think it's fair to ask others to do their own research.

Sorry for slight OT.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:08 am

That's why my response came from hospital guidelines for pediatric anesthesia, not an anecdote on the world wide web. I can't post a link because that site is not available to the general public.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TheLeisureFlyer
I heard a passenger suggest to a mother once to sedate her baby to get it to sleep. She didn't take it too kindly, obviously. I'm sure there's a safe way of doing it. Should parents do it? Would you do it?
Reminds me of some Iranian babysitters in the Shah's days saying that a little opium would be good to put colicky babies to sleep.

I'm not a fan of narcos being given to healthy babies. Using medicinal or other supplements to sedate a healthy baby for purposes of flying? Not my idea of a good idea.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
Benadryl (kids) definitely helps.. some reported that it may potentially have the opposite effect in rare cases - try at home first..
obviously use common sense
You have a 50/50 shot with Benadryl. It'll either make your kid sleepy or hyper. More often than not, it has no effect at all.

I always have some children's tylenol on hand for the occasional headache, earache or crummy feeling. Not to keep the kid sleepy, but just to keep him happy and pain free.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by CBear
You have a 50/50 shot with Benadryl. It'll either make your kid sleepy or hyper. More often than not, it has no effect at all.
One effect it usually has is to dry up the nose, mouth and throat. Consider that the dry air in the plane already has that effect, Benadryl is likely to make kids more uncomfortable rather than less.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:02 pm

A bottle of jack in their coke and it'll be fine, why use something unnatural like pills?

Is this thread for real? It got through the moderators?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Whether or not that's true, what's the relationship between that statement and the topic of this thread? Are you advocating medicating disruptive kids, or just making a general statement?
Not advocating medicating children at all. More disruptive children at airports seems to fly in the face of medicating children being an "increasingly common phenomenon".

I, like you, wasn't sure about the "increasingly common phenomenon". I was just too lazy to google it.

Whether the OP is meant to troll, this is still an interesting topic.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by theddo
A bottle of jack in their coke and it'll be fine, why use something unnatural like pills?

Well, there is nothing generally unlawful or TOS-violating about discussing how passengers may deal with sleep needs/interests, and the challenges of doing so, on flights.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by theddo
Yes, this thread is for real and the issue comes up fairly often. Sometimes it's started by someone who thinks children should not be allowed to fly until they turn 18 - in case they might possibly disturb another passenger - and sometimes it's asked by a parent who is an inexperienced traveler trying to figure out the best way to deal with air travel and genuinely doesn't know of the risks involved in drugging their kid in the air.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Various hotel things
I don't have any medical background whatsoever. Sedating was probably the wrong word. I wouldn't knock them out. I would want to make them sleepy that they sleep for the whole flight and not disturb other passengers.

I'm thinking a strong antihistamine might do the trick. Obviously the safety of the baby comes first. If it's safe though I would do it.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Look up "paradoxical hyperactivity". It can happen with antihistamines in kids, and it ain't pretty.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by TheLeisureFlyer
I don't have any medical background whatsoever. Sedating was probably the wrong word. I wouldn't knock them out. I would want to make them sleepy that they sleep for the whole flight and not disturb other passengers.

I'm thinking a strong antihistamine might do the trick. Obviously the safety of the baby comes first. If it's safe though I would do it.
IT'S NOT SAFE.

MOST "STRONG ANTIHISTAMINES" AREN'T EVEN LICENSED FOR USE IN KIDS UNDER 3 YEARS OF AGE.

Give an infant an inappropriate drug and you might kill the child. Is that clear enough for you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.