Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

How to handle/prepare for sick kids when traveling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

We just got back from an unexpectedly eventful 6 weeks trip to Hawaii and New Zealand where every one of us came down with several sicknesses and we had to bring 2 of our kids to the doctor while in New Zealand. Luckily the credit card I purchased our flights with claims to have an emergency medical benefit that covers up to $2500 in unexpected medical costs, as long as they aren't related to a pre-existing condition, that occur while traveling. I haven't submitted everything yet, so I'm not sure how well it'll work out, but now that we've returned its got me thinking about what the best way is to prepare for or handle events like this when they happen.

I'll admit that one of our reasons for going to New Zealand rather than Spain or Mexico, like we were originally considering, was in case an event like this happened, we wanted to have access to Western medicine and doctors who could speak our language. I know some of you travel to more exotic or non-Western destinations with kids, so I'm curious what you do to prepare or how you've handled kids getting sick while away from home?

We're hoping to take a trip to Europe next year, but I'm hesitant to visit a country where I couldn't communicate with a doctor if something went wrong. What are your thoughts?
Old May 3, 2017, 12:03 am

I'm glad everyone is okay and hope you were able to enjoy the trip in spite of all that. I'm curious to hear about your experience with getting reimbursed by your credit card. Is it the Chase Sapphire Reserve, by any chance?

First, people should check with their regular health insurance policy. We had a very generous (and expensive) PPO plan with Aetna that would cover expenses from other countries at the out of network benefit level (80% of usual and customary charges), though I've never had to use it. We just switched plans this year and I should follow my own advice and look into this before our 7-week trip to Europe and Asia this summer!

You can also buy travel insurance that includes medical benefits. I don't have any experience with this, but perhaps others can give recommendations.

I've traveled extensively with my children, sometimes for extended periods, only depending on our US health plan and we've been lucky enough to not need a doctor (knock on wood). We've had some minor illnesses in various countries (stomach ailments, colds), but nothing major. I always travel with children's benadryl and ibuprofen, but that's more out of worry about an allergic reaction or high fever on a long flight over the ocean where it would be hours before we could land somewhere for help. Before my son got his ear tubes and frequently suffered from ear infections, our doctor wrote an rx for an antibiotic before traveling to France at Christmas time so we'd have that on hand if he started showing symptoms. So if your child is prone to certain illnesses it's a good idea to travel with the meds they need. Although we can generally find anything we need, especially in western countries, their pharmacies are generally closed evenings, weekends and holidays, especially in smaller towns. Also, meds that we can easily buy at a supermarket or drugstore in the US often require consulting with a pharmacist in other countries - Immodium is one example.

I can't say what it's like in Mexico, but in Europe English is so widely spoken that even if the doctor didn't speak English, you could certainly find someone to translate. There are also apps that can translate that you can have downloaded so at least you can communicate the basics. I wouldn't let the language barrier keep you from traveling to Europe at all!

I can tell you a friend's experience in Spain. One of her kids tipped over their stroller and had a very bad break in her arm. At the hospital they told her she needed surgery immediately. Because she has four kids and has dealt with broken bones before, she already had an orthopedist in Long Island that she trusted, so she contacted him and the hospital sent x-rays and he agreed that the surgery couldn't wait for them to fly home. So she had the surgery and stayed in the hospital a couple days and they returned home. Her orthopedist said the repair was perfect and the only bill they had out of all that? A 45 euro payment for the ambulance - absolutely nothing from the hospital! I'm not sure if that is how it was supposed to work, but they were pleased with their experience with socialized medicine.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
We're hoping to take a trip to Europe next year, but I'm hesitant to visit a country where I couldn't communicate with a doctor if something went wrong. What are your thoughts?
I would have zero hesitation about taking a kid to Europe because of potential medical problems. Unless the child is chronically ill with something rare and hard to translate, it is unlikely to be beyond the scope of doctors in most of western Europe.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:22 pm

I'd do a few things.

- Check your health insurance to determine what is covered when overseas
- Check your credit card benefits
- Bring commonly used medicine from home. It can be difficult to find similar medicine overseas or figure out what the correct medicine is when frazzled from dealing with a sick child. I always travel with at least advil / tylanol for everyone.
- Consider travel insurance if you don't feel you have enough coverage
Old May 6, 2017, 6:44 pm

1. US health plans vary widely. Travel insurance will act as primary or secondary to your US health plan depending on the US Health plan's coverages abroad.

2. Credit cards: We have found that, with the exception of 1-2 high end cards, they dont offer full coverage like a travel insurance plan
https://www.generalitravelinsurance....insurance.html

3. Europe with kids: Would not hesitate but you definitely want an transport/evacuation coverage because it could wipe you out financially. Travel insurance should only cost ~10% of travel expenses you are covering. If you have refundable costs, dont insure them.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: United Plus
I understand that "repatriation" can be the issue. Some will pay for the care but not for the return journey.

Do check this out.

Also, bring a thermometer. Once my son got sick in Spain and the doctor asked me his temperature.

Oops. Bad Mommy.

Luckily he wasn't that sick but better to check out their temperature yourself.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:04 pm

We travelled extensively when our son was a baby/toddler. I had a kit specifically for emergencies at included -

age appropriate pain men's/fever reducers - both Advil and Tylenol
thermometer
benedryl
hydrocortozone creme
triple antibiotic cream
bandaids as well as larger gauze pads and stretchy, wrap bandage
butterfly strips (used to close large cuts)
eye wash/eye drops
tweezers
nail clipper/nail file
Nu-Skin (a liquid bandaid product)
Rx antibiotic - a good relationship with your family doc will help- see below about mexico

i would have zero concerns about traveling in Europe.

I personally experienced excellent emergency medical care in Mexico (on Cozumel and Cancun) and it was reasonably priced. The doctors spoke excellent English.

we go to Mexico with my parents on a semi regular basis. When our son was a toddler, our family doctor gave me a Rx for powdered antibiotics (and the mixing instructions) as well as other Meds in case our son was struck with intestinal issues. I was worried about dehydration, not having easy access to medical care.

A trip or two later, he woke up with a very bad case of travelers diarrhea and were were able to does him right away and nip it in the butt quickly. It's worth asking your family doc about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.