Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Ella's Kitchen Pouches in Carry On

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

All,

Traveling on Monday BDL-CLT-RSW with a 12 month old. We want to carry a few Ella's Kitchen pouches with us, along with a bottle of formula.

According to the TSA:

3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption

. . .

Ice packs, freezer packs, frozen gel packs and other accessories required to cool formula, breast milk and juice are allowed in carry-on. If these accessories are partially frozen or slushy, they are subject to the same screening as described above. You may also bring gel or liquid-filled teethers, canned, jarred and processed baby food in carry-on baggage. These items may be subject to additional screening.
Canned, jarred and processed baby food are allowed. Does food in pouches also count? If so, what type of additional screening should we expect?

Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:39 pm

I have never had a problem with sealed baby food pouches.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Pouches are fine and considered baby food for screening. I've never experienced they would open any.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:58 am

It's possible they would open some to swab them. But since they're resealable it's probably not a big deal.

I once had a supervisor in TPA who gave me a "choice" of throwing out my baby's yogurt, opening it for swabbing (which wasn't really an option since there was no way to seal it again), or subjecting my entire family to pat-downs and carry-on searches.

I told him I was choosing option 3 since it sounded like that was going to keep my family the safest, which was CLEARLY his #1 priority. Right? He called my bluff and ordered a phalanx of eye-rolling screeners to start feeling everybody up. mrsmicah wasn't too happy with me that day.

But we got to keep the yogurt!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
It's possible they would open some to swab them. But since they're resealable it's probably not a big deal.

I once had a supervisor in TPA who gave me a "choice" of throwing out my baby's yogurt, opening it for swabbing (which wasn't really an option since there was no way to seal it again), or subjecting my entire family to pat-downs and carry-on searches.

I told him I was choosing option 3 since it sounded like that was going to keep my family the safest, which was CLEARLY his #1 priority. Right? He called my bluff and ordered a phalanx of eye-rolling screeners to start feeling everybody up. mrsmicah wasn't too happy with me that day.

But we got to keep the yogurt!
Try traveling with a liquid prescription medication. There's no way in he!! I'm letting them open it and stick in a swab coated in undisclosed chemicals. So we (self and offspring) both get retaliatory patdowns every trip. That magically ensures the medication won't explode and bring down an aircraft.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
...retaliatory patdowns every trip. That magically ensures the medication won't explode and bring down an aircraft.
Magic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.