Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Advice on 1 hour layover with 2 toddlers

Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I am flying DTW to HNL with a layover which switches planes in LAX. It's a Delta flight and it's listed on the same ticket and same flight number. I have my husband to help and a 4yo and a 2yo. I'm definitely bringing a FAA approved carseat for the 2yo and I really want to for the 4yo. When we flew last on a 3hr flight it went pretty good but I could tell my 4yo would have been better on a plane with a car seat. The car seats are the super light weight kind.

I'm seriously considering bring the carseat for the 4yo for longer flights. The problem is the 1 hr 10 min flight change. I had planned on checking bags except one large duffle and two carseats, and a stroller. Now I'm wondering if I should ditch the stroller at bag check and use a baby carrier for the 2yo. That way I wouldn't have to wait for a gate checked item.

Has anyone dealt with logistics of short layovers like this with kids and car seats? Delta couldn't tell me if it was the same terminal but I'm hoping it is.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:32 am

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. We gate check our stroller nearly every time we fly and I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 10 minutes. I'd suggest doing whatever is most convenient, and not worry about the time. The only scenario that would make a difference was if your original flight was delayed.

If we sit behind the wing then 50% of the time its already there by the time we get off.

I think the biggest issue you'll run into is trying to carry on two carseats and a duffel and managing two kids. That was the reason we stop bringing carseats aboard after our kids are old enough to sit up and have their own buckle. Bulky carseats are just such a headache to carry through the airport and try to set up on the plane, even if they do make the flight a bit easier.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

They are definitely a pain. I keep going back and forth with what to do for the 4yo. Our last flight was December so he will be about 6 months older. Luckily, my husband will be with me this time instead of my sister which will help with discipline. He just would slouch and try to lay down. I wonder if I bought a neck pillow for him if that would help. I wonder if they would let me babywear the 2yo on the plane if I needed to put my 4yo in his sisters carseat?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Don't Cosco Scenera carseats (often available for $40 or less) nest? If you use 2 of those, it might be easier to get both through the airport.

Alternatively, what about the Cares Kids Fly Safe Airplane Safety Harness for either or both of them on-board? (BB&B's 20%-off coupons do work against the $75 price-tag).

We have only 1 toddler. But, we often fully check our stroller and utilize a mix of a cart for the carseat as a quasi-stroller, walking, and carrying (in a carrier when he was younger).
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Waiting for our gate checked stroller is the most stressful part of traveling with my four year old. I can't imagine doing it with more than one.

I don't know how Delta is with gate checking, but American is all over the place, and I've almost missed connections of this length because American took so long to bring out the gate checked stroller. There's little worse than knowing your connection is leaving soon while you try to manage a toddler in a jetway full of people trying to get off the aircraft.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Samantha7V
I am flying DTW to HNL with a layover which switches planes in LAX. It's a Delta flight and it's listed on the same ticket and same flight number. I have my husband to help and a 4yo and a 2yo. I'm definitely bringing a FAA approved carseat for the 2yo and I really want to for the 4yo. When we flew last on a 3hr flight it went pretty good but I could tell my 4yo would have been better on a plane with a car seat. The car seats are the super light weight kind.

I'm seriously considering bring the carseat for the 4yo for longer flights. The problem is the 1 hr 10 min flight change. I had planned on checking bags except one large duffle and two carseats, and a stroller. Now I'm wondering if I should ditch the stroller at bag check and use a baby carrier for the 2yo. That way I wouldn't have to wait for a gate checked item.

Has anyone dealt with logistics of short layovers like this with kids and car seats? Delta couldn't tell me if it was the same terminal but I'm hoping it is.
Can one parent take the car seats and go immediately to the second flight, perhaps with 1 child, while the second waits for the stroller? That way parent #1 could request pre-boarding to install the seats and not be tied up waiting for the stroller. Second parent just needs to get to the gate before the door closes as (hopefully) the seats will installed and you can just pop the kids in them.

Also, it's little unclear to me what you meant by "same flight number" - maybe you're actually on the same aircraft?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Not sure what all the fuss is: two adults, two kids, and one easy connection at LAX. I would say no need at all for the stroller and would strongly recommend against the carseat for a 4 year old. Just bring one carseat, no need to wait at the gate. And you're welcome to wear the 2yo so long as the seatbelt sign is not illuminated.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
We've done this lots. Here's what we do...

Sceneras nest. Secure them together with a bungie. If the 4-y-o is too big for a Scenera, you can upgrade to the Evenflo Titan 2-Pack here: http://www.childsource.com/evenflo-titan-65-2-pack/ They also nest. They're just a little bit bigger.

Bungie the seats while waiting on the stroller to come out, and get the 2-y-o in the carrier. Once it's out, put 4-y-o kid in stroller, and hang the car seats on the stroller handle using the tether strap. There will be a loop where the buckle attaches, and you can tighten it up so that it doesn't drag on the ground.

One adult takes the duffle (rolling duffle, I'm assuming!) and the 2-y-o, and one adult takes the stroller.4-y-o, and car seats, all bundled up together.

Stop off at a family restroom on your way to the connection, potty and diaper everyone, and then hit the next flight.

note: when the 4-y-o exits the stroller, it will tip with the weight of the car seats, so hold it until you put a piece of luggage in the seat. Gets me every freaking time.

If you don't bring the stroller, secure the car seats to the duffle. This works better with a rollaboard, because there's a little strap you can get to attach car seats to them using the tether strap and the latch straps. It's a bit fiddly, so practice ahead of time. Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Tod...+luggage+strap

Somewhere on here there's a picture of this setup I posted.

eta picture of one of our configurations, from an old post way back in my history...

Last edited by swise; Mar 9, 2017 at 4:02 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:49 pm

Lots of good advice here.

Ill add add that I would check the stroller, waiting for a gate check gone wrong would be too stressful for me on a 1 hour connection. With deplane get and transit to the next gate, you might only have 20 or so minutes to play with.

Every family is is different so there certainly isn't a blanket right or wrong way to do things. What worked for us was traveling with a car seat for the reasons the OP described, a squirming little one sans car seat that normally travelled great IN his car seat. We made that mistake only once. Further, we (the parents) had clearly defined duties. One was in charge of the child, the other the gear. In the scenario the OP describes, I would wear the 2 yo and walk with the 4yo while the other parent deals with the car seats and carry on. The recommendation of the Senecas is a great one, they are so light weight. I wish I had a picture, my husband used to run the straps thru his carry on bag or rest it on his head like a water jug (but not hands free)

by duffle, how big of a duffle are we talking? Might two smaller backpacks work better so you can wear instead of carrying one larger duffle? Can the 4yo wear a backpack? Mine loved it, other kids may protest.

Swise's nesting idea is brilliant. How about getting a metal baggage cart to carry on? Store it in the overhead, take a bungee strap and fasten the car seats to the luggage cart, put the duffle on the seats and wheel the entire load thru the airport? I have seen people strap a seat to a cart and put a toddler in the seat as a makeshift stroller. We were the type of parent that let our son clinge to the wheeled roller when he tired of walking like a baby koala on its mothers back.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:05 pm
Suspended

I'll check the stroller as well. There's no need for stroller for 1 hour layover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.