Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Options for Award Booking with Infant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond

Hi All,

We are flying CVG to BKK this coming November and will have a 5-6 month old baby girl. I have enough points/miles to choose from a variety of programs and want to find out if certain things are allowable. We will be going in J/F.

My first choice is to book CX via AS. Since CX charges 25% of the revenue fair for lap infants, I would prefer to pay in miles. Can I book a separate seat for our baby using miles to avoid paying the 25%, and if so does it have to be in the same cabin as our seats? Or could I book an economy award just to get her on the plane, and then of course we will be holding her the entire time.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:32 pm

You can definitely book an award seat for her with miles if there is award space available but it is at the full mileage rate. You have to get the baby's ticket in the same cabin as you though. You can't get an economy ticket because they will consider the baby an unaccompanied minor. And at 6 months they won't let her travel by herself anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
You can definitely book an award seat for her with miles if there is award space available but it is at the full mileage rate. You have to get the baby's ticket in the same cabin as you though. You can't get an economy ticket because they will consider the baby an unaccompanied minor. And at 6 months they won't let her travel by herself anyway.
Thank you, that's what I figured. So it's just a decision of X miles vs Y Dollars, and in J/F I'd much rather pay with miles.

Last edited by pointchaser93; Jan 21, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:58 pm

I think BA allowed 10% miles for avios bookings - incl. CX, but not sure if they still do. That would be worth a look if you have miles to transfer, though BA charges quite a bit in avios more so not sure it will save you much if any miles.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by erik123
I think BA allowed 10% miles for avios bookings - incl. CX, but not sure if they still do. That would be worth a look if you have miles to transfer, though BA charges quite a bit in avios more so not sure it will save you much if any miles.
We used BA miles for my daughter and me last summer for JFK - HKG trip. It's the only one which make sense compared to other airline's policy.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
I might consider booking economy+ bulkhead with a bassinet if available... Having flown lax-tpe with a baby in both e+ with bassinet, and business with a lap infant, I highly recommend the first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.