Search

Diaper Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by theddo
So if your baby poops when you're driving on the freeway how do you deal with the urgent and immediate need to change it's diaper?
I have never been on a highway where for over an hour I couldn't pull to the side or otherwise go off the highway to stop and get out of a seat. The same doesn't hold true for flights where I've been told at times not to get up for over an hour.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Sometimes the order to remain seated has less to do with safe flying conditions than it has to do with security concerns or even cabin crew convenience.
So true. Sometimes they just forget to turn off the seatbelt sign.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
This topic comes up every now and then.

- Sometimes planes don't have changing tables. Some parents may be able to figure out changing a baby in a lavatory without a changing table, but others may not.

- Sometimes passengers are not allowed to get out of their seats for extended periods. And if a baby poops, that needs to be addressed ASAP. (With my boys, within 5-15 minutes, they could get open sores if they did not get changed.) In this case, a parent may have no choice but to try and take care of things while seated. You can bet they are as unhappy about that as those around them may be. Here's a scenario that comes to mind: When flying into NYC or DC, one must stay seated for the final 30 minutes before landing, no ifs ands or buts. And if you attempt to get up, the flight attendants are not going to be accommodating, no matter the circumstance.

- Sometimes passengers are simply not familiar with proper air travel etiquette. We're all learning.

So the takeaway in all of these instances is:

- When we're in the sardine can in the sky, it's temporary. And we can all handle just about anything for a short amount of time. So with all the things that are temporarily uncomfortable, the best thing is to try and relax, think about something else. Fragrant flowers, perhaps.

- All parents have their hands full when taking care of an infant. They're all trying to do the best they can. I doubt there are any people who are maliciously unleashing their child's diaper fumes for other passengers' displeasure. They either can't do things differently or don't know how to. But it's temporary. So just hang in there, and it'll be over.

- You are riding in the sky traveling hundreds of miles per hour. 95% of humanity will probably never be able to do what you're doing. You are incredibly fortunate to even be be on an airplane -- much less traveling in FC. The humans on the ground below you may be just trying to figure out the one meal they can manage to rustle up for tomorrow. Or maybe they're on their 12th hour of work for a grand total of $2 that day.

So it's all a matter of perspective. We may not be able to control a baby's bodily functions or the response that the parents take, but we can control our perspective.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by swise
This topic comes up every now and then.

- Sometimes planes don't have changing tables. Some parents may be able to figure out changing a baby in a lavatory without a changing table, but others may not.

- Sometimes passengers are not allowed to get out of their seats for extended periods. And if a baby poops, that needs to be addressed ASAP. (With my boys, within 5-15 minutes, they could get open sores if they did not get changed.) In this case, a parent may have no choice but to try and take care of things while seated. You can bet they are as unhappy about that as those around them may be. Here's a scenario that comes to mind: When flying into NYC or DC, one must stay seated for the final 30 minutes before landing, no ifs ands or buts. And if you attempt to get up, the flight attendants are not going to be accommodating, no matter the circumstance.

- Sometimes passengers are simply not familiar with proper air travel etiquette. We're all learning.

So the takeaway in all of these instances is:

- When we're in the sardine can in the sky, it's temporary. And we can all handle just about anything for a short amount of time. So with all the things that are temporarily uncomfortable, the best thing is to try and relax, think about something else. Fragrant flowers, perhaps.

- All parents have their hands full when taking care of an infant. They're all trying to do the best they can. I doubt there are any people who are maliciously unleashing their child's diaper fumes for other passengers' displeasure. They either can't do things differently or don't know how to. But it's temporary. So just hang in there, and it'll be over.

- You are riding in the sky traveling hundreds of miles per hour. 95% of humanity will probably never be able to do what you're doing. You are incredibly fortunate to even be be on an airplane -- much less traveling in FC. The humans on the ground below you may be just trying to figure out the one meal they can manage to rustle up for tomorrow. Or maybe they're on their 12th hour of work for a grand total of $2 that day.

So it's all a matter of perspective. We may not be able to control a baby's bodily functions or the response that the parents take, but we can control our perspective.
Funny how all of those are about how you should accept anything from families, while families should get away with anything.

Is it also okay for me to relieve myself in the seat when landing in DC or NY, there are many medical conditions requiring way less than 30 min to get to the toilet?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:50 am
Suspended

Funny how all of those are about how you should accept anything from families, while families should get away with anything.

Is it also okay for me to relieve myself in the seat when landing in DC or NY, there are many medical conditions requiring way less than 30 min to get to the toilet?
Babies and their caretakers being given more waivers and favors than adults for some given types of behavior is a part of the travel picture. I'm no snowflake, and such allowances for babies don't really bother me.

If you want to relieve yourself in the seat, the suggestion would be that you decide to do so in an adult diaper or at least not be embarrassed when getting some looks or more for doing so.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 8, 2017 at 7:57 am
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt

I didn't say that you have to accept it. But you can't control the behaviors of the other passengers on the flight. There is nothing you can do about a family that opts to change their child's diaper somewhere other than the lavatory. My suggestion is to pull up your Depends and deal with it and don't let what other people do affect your experience.

If incontinence is an issue, then, like infants, you can also wear a diaper.

If someone's biggest hardship is a little baby poop, then they are doing pretty well and need to quit bellyaching and thank the gods above for living a life which enables them to fly first class and have nothing more to complain about than a few minutes of stinky air. I mean, really.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by swise

I didn't say that you have to accept it. But you can't control the behaviors of the other passengers on the flight. There is nothing you can do about a family that opts to change their child's diaper somewhere other than the lavatory. My suggestion is to pull up your Depends and deal with it and don't let what other people do affect your experience.

If incontinence is an issue, then, like infants, you can also wear a diaper.

If someone's biggest hardship is a little baby poop, then they are doing pretty well and need to quit bellyaching and thank the gods above for living a life which enables them to fly first class and have nothing more to complain about than a few minutes of stinky air. I mean, really.
Of course there is something I can do about it.

The issue isn't only about wearing a diaper - the issue is changing it in the cabin. People with Crohn's or UC may be in situations where they need to use a restroom now rather than later, and then remain seated for a longer period of time. You have yet to actually answer the really simple question:

Is it, or isn't it, okay to change a diaper in the cabin? What about a coleostomy bag, those fill up, too?

I understand that being condescending towards other's is your only way out, but I asked you a real question you pretend like it isn't a problem because only your little snowflake matters.

[Moderator removed language] If you think it's okay to change your child's diaper why wouldn't it be okay to do the same if you suffer from Crohn's?

I also can't remember this being an issue ever before, maybe diapers were better 20 years ago? Parents certainly were.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jan 10, 2017 at 6:39 am Reason: Totally offensive language removed
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:18 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
I would not even think of changing a baby on a seat, not practical in my opinon. I prefer to be standing in the toilets. Much easier. And I have some 50 flights under the belt with my 2 year old daughter and now with the addition of a second one... many diaper changes, never an issue in the toilet
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[Moderator removed language] If you think it's okay to change your child's diaper why wouldn't it be okay to do the same if you suffer from Crohn's?
Such hyperbole makes me question your sincerity in this discussion. I suppose the answer to your post is this: if you don't care about anyone else around you, as you are making quite clear here (assuming you are serious), why should anyone else care about much more minor inconveniences to you?

Last edited by bdschobel; Jan 10, 2017 at 6:39 am Reason: edited quote
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: United Plus
I've flown countless flights with three kids for over 17 years. I have never, ever changed a diaper in the seat. This includes the one flight I did with three sets of diapers (my son took ages to night train and couldn't risk it on an 11 1/2 hour flight!)

One obvious solution is to learn to change your able-to-stand-with-support baby in that position. I put them in the "frisk" position so that all limbs were planted. You do have to practice this at home. Useful for restaurants or anywhere in public. Toddlers hate to lie down in strange places and I see to many parents flighting them to stay still in that position.

As a Flight Attendant this was a pet peeve with my coworkers. I'm all for being tolerance towards babies on flights but I think changing a baby in the seat is inexcusable. Yes, my child has had to wait in a dirty diaper for the right moment to change him/her. I also changed them more often than on the ground, so that if a bad moment hit, it wouldn't be as much a drama.

Be sure to have the ziplocks ready. Great for popping those nasties away along with the smell!

It isn't a safety issue. I remember once changing my son when turbulence hit. I simply scooped him up and held on to the handle in the lav with my other hand. Returning to the seat is not always the best idea in any circumstances.

As far as restrooms are concerned, if you get up when the seat belt sign is on, the crew have to remind you to stay seated. They don't have the authority to let you get up. Having said that, they also won't accost you or force you to return.

If you suspect that they've left the seat belt sign on, please say something to the crew. It does happen.

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Feb 12, 2017 at 6:41 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
They don't have the authority to let you get up. Having said that, they also won't accost you or force you to return.
I've seen passengers forced to return, at least in so far as verbal or otherwise implied threats are a form of force.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Be sure to have the ziplocks ready. Great for popping those nasties away along with the smell!
This is an important point. Those things will stink up the lav (and sometimes the galley) for the whole flight. We have a dog and found that dog bags were the perfect size to deal with a dirty diaper on an airplane. I've also had FAs offer me trash bags as I went into the lav, in an effort to avoid a stinky garbage bin.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
Such hyperbole makes me question your sincerity in this discussion. I suppose the answer to your post is this: if you don't care about anyone else around you, as you are making quite clear here (assuming you are serious), why should anyone else care about much more minor inconveniences to you?
I don't think it's okay to change a baby's diaper, or an adult's diaper, in the cabin. Many here think it's a human right to change a baby's diaper whenever you please, where ever you please simply because you can and cannot be bothered to go to the lavatory. I - obviously - disagree.

But the reasons for changing the diaper of a 8 mo old baby isn't any different from why you'd like to do so on a 80 year old. It doesn't smell worse. It is very possible the 80 year old cannot go the the lavatory alone, and would be far more difficult to place on the changing table.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it's okay to change a baby's diaper, or an adult's diaper, in the cabin. Many here think it's a human right to change a baby's diaper whenever you please, where ever you please simply because you can and cannot be bothered to go to the lavatory. I - obviously - disagree.

But the reasons for changing the diaper of a 8 mo old baby isn't any different from why you'd like to do so on a 80 year old. It doesn't smell worse. It is very possible the 80 year old cannot go the the lavatory alone, and would be far more difficult to place on the changing table.
That first paragraph is a nice example of a straw man. Nobody has made the argument you describe, but it sure is fun to knock it down.

And the second paragraph is an oversimplification and generally false. An eight month old that is still on breast milk or formula may have a brown diaper that is barely noticeable to the nose. The 80 year old, not so much. In either case, I think it's best to try to be understanding if either of them needs accommodation, but based on your earlier comments, I seriously doubt that is something you will agree to.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by rjque
This is an important point. Those things will stink up the lav (and sometimes the galley) for the whole flight. We have a dog and found that dog bags were the perfect size to deal with a dirty diaper on an airplane. I've also had FAs offer me trash bags as I went into the lav, in an effort to avoid a stinky garbage bin.
We prefer Arm & Hammer Disposal System bags to ziplocs or dog bags. They click shut tightly and keep the smell in. We always use them in hotel rooms and keep a couple in the diaper bag in case needed on the road or in the air (we don't even use the disposal system...only buy the bags).

I previously mentioned these in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-products.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.