Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Legal age for a toddler to have own seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi
Is it compulsory for toddler over to 2 yrs old to have his own seat ?
My son who is 26 months old had to sit on his mothers lap for a 12 hour flight !,
I'd confirmed with B.A for him to have his own seat two weeks before his flight which they asked me to do when I booked the flight.
Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Did he have his own ticket($) or was he somehow ticketed as a lap child (free)?

Over 24 months, he should have paid for and been issued his own ticket and had his own seat.

Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Over 24 months, airlines will charge you for a seat. However, you can always ask the FA to give you the lap child belt in case the toddler want to sit on your lap instead.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Yes at age 24 months, it's required to have (pay) for own seat...
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

When I booked his flight for him and my wife,They were informed he was under 2yrs on his departure and when he took his return flight (6 months later) he would be 2 yrs old ,They gave me a reference number and was told to call BA two weeks before his flight to confirm his seat which I did by calling BA and thought nothing of it ,Only when I spoke to my wife on her arrival in Bangkok that she told me he had no seat and had to sit on her lap for the entire journey!She was not happy!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Multiple incorrect responses in this thread. Please read:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...|||||L2|||||||

Infants who become children while travelling

If you're travelling with an infant who reaches the age of 2 during their journey, your child will need their own seat for any flights on and after their 2nd birthday. We won’t charge you extra for this; you'll only pay the infant fare for the entire journey.

This booking can't be made online, so contact us and we'll be pleased to help you.
BA rules are rather generous but they can lead to this kind of unfortunate situation - more relevant stuff here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-travel.html

You can write to BA - i have no idea what kind of compensation considerations they have.. i assume this is also regulated so BA may get fined for violation... It may be worth posting this in BA sub-forum - folks there may be more familiar with BA specific customer service complaints.

Last edited by azepine00; Nov 1, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Vaucluse
Over 24 months, airlines will charge you for a seat. However, you can always ask the FA to give you the lap child belt in case the toddler want to sit on your lap instead.
There is no "lap child belt"
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:17 am

We booked biz seat for our child who barely turned 2 early this year on CX and coach on international airlines and domestic flights within US. I can't imagine child sitting in lap even after 2 year for that many hours. you can keep him in lap during take off but now mine is turning 3, it is all him on his own seat right next to our own seat. So ncie to not have to carry car seat around when traveling.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Yes there is but afaik not on US based airlines - it is an extra loop that goes over adult belt.
Iirc cx (or was it nh?) required us to hold kids (who had own seats) on takeoff with that loop
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As a matter of fact, of course there are "lap child belts". Dozens of carriers have them and are required to supply them to passengers with a lap child. The US common carriers with airline frequent flyer programs don't have them, but EU/EEA common carriers do have lap child belts. Sometimes they are called extension seat belts by the carriers, even as the extension seat belts designed for lap children don't work like the extension seat belts for persons of size. These kind of extension seat belts for lap children are routinely called lap child belts -- even by BA.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 29, 2016 at 4:04 am
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
As a matter of fact, of course there are "lap child belts". Dozens of carriers have them and are required to supply them to passengers with a lap child. The US common carriers with airline frequent flyer programs don't have them, but EU/EEA common carriers do have lap child belts. Sometimes they are called extension seat belts by the carriers, even as the extension seat belts designed for lap children don't work like the extension seat belts for persons of size. These kind of extension seat belts for lap children are routinely called lap child belts -- even by BA.
Interesting. But they cannot be used flying into or out of the US as they are banned by the FAA

While booster seats and harness vests enhance safety in vehicles, the FAA prohibits passengers from bringing these types of devices on airplanes for use during taxi, take-off and landing. They should be checked as baggage.
Also, supplemental lap restraints or “belly belts” are banned for use in both airplanes and vehicles in the United States.
www.faa.gov/passengers/media/childsafety.pdf
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Interesting. But they cannot be used flying into or out of the US as they are banned by the FAA
CARES is a type of harness vest and it's not banned by the FAA. Lap child belts provided by some non-US carriers are not "booster seats and harness vests".

Are you saying that lap child seat belts can't be used to fly into or out of the US on some non-US carriers? Not all FAA rules applicable to US-registered airlines apply to foreign-registered airlines flying into and/or out of the US.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 31, 2016 at 12:14 am
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:57 am
Suspended

GUWonder

ALL airlines flying into or out of the US have to follow US Laws (FAA) while in the US. When they get into international area, they can follow their own laws.

So yes, lap child belts are not allowed in the US
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Just used a lap belt last week leaving jfk...
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:27 pm
Suspended

GUWonder

ALL airlines flying into or out of the US have to follow US Laws (FAA) while in the US. When they get into international area, they can follow their own laws.

So yes, lap child belts are not allowed in the US
Not all FAA rules apply to all carriers flying into and out of the US. There are FAA rules which only apply to US-registered carriers but do not apply to non-US carriers in the US. There are also other US laws and regulations which apply to US persons (writ large to include US corporations) in the US but do not apply to non-US persons (writ large to include non-US corporations) in the US. Not all FAA rules apply to all carriers flying into and out of the US. Facts of life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.