Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Traveling with two kids and I have a long layover in IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club

Hi everyone,

I'm flying to south America on December 23 and I land at Washington Dulles at 4:30 PM our connection flight is not until 3:50 am we're traveling with star alliance on business class. I'll be getting a hotel because there's no lounge open after 10:00 pm It feels like we could not have a worst time to land and take our connection. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm traveling with a 3 year old and a one year old.

Thanks,
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:25 pm

Do you need a hotel suggestion or suggestions for activities? Udvar-Hazy air and space museum would be ideal but unfortunately closes for the day at 5.30. By the time you deplane, check in to your hotel, etc, will probably be too late.

There are a bunch of hotels around the airport that provide shuttles. I think your best bet is to get figure out how to get help. How much luggage and how many grown ups? Can you have your luggage booked through, or do you need to pick it up at Dulles? Plan to ask the hotel staff for help and to curb check luggage, and make sure you bring a bunch of dollar bills to tip. Can you put the 3 yo in an umbrella stroller and the 1 yo in an front carrier, and then carry your carry-on gear in a backpack. Maybe with a front cross-body so you can reach ID, cash, etc?

Are you changing time zones as you fly (either before IAD or after?)
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I'm open to suggestions. The museum was my first choice but like you said it would probably be too late. We will not have any bags other than our carry on which is awesome. After IAD we will be one hour behind but I doubt that should cause trouble for my two energetic boys lol thanks
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:32 pm

1. Look at websites like Things to Do with Kids Near Dulles

2. pick out an indoor play place

3. shuttle to hotel, drop bags

4. take kids to play place, let them burn energy until they're tired

5. dinner, bath, bed

Personally I wouldn't take a 1 yr old to the air and space museum - the kid would be basically stuck in the stroller instead of burning off energy
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:14 pm

If it were me, I'd do the airport Marriott. Close by, has a pool.

Arrive at Dulles, check in to your hotel, eat dinner. Swim for as long as it takes to tire the kids out. Leave as late as you can, and try to transfer sleeping kids into stroller/carrier. Hope and pray that they stay dozy enough to sleep an extra two hours once you are on the plane.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Anna Phor

Arrive at Dulles, check in to your hotel, eat dinner. Swim for as long as it takes to tire the kids out. Leave as late as you can, and try to transfer sleeping kids into stroller/carrier. Hope and pray that they stay dozy enough to sleep an extra two hours once you are on the plane.
OP said the kids are 1 and 3. Most kids of those ages don't swim yet, and 1 adult to 2 non-swimmers could be a big problem.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, since when we arrive everything will be closed we were planning on taking one kid to the hotel pool but what hotel has a cool kid's pool? Airport hotels are not known fir kid's pools. I think what will end up happening is we check in to the hotel, order in then try to go to sleep at our regular times, wake up at 2:00 am and take the shuttle to the airport. Check in then wait until 4:00 am for our flight departure. (5 hour flight) I think that time at the airport from when we arrive until boarding will be tough because the kids will be exhausted.

Thanks all
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by monchito
Yeah, since when we arrive everything will be closed we were planning on taking one kid to the hotel pool but what hotel has a cool kid's pool? Airport hotels are not known fir kid's pools. I think what will end up happening is we check in to the hotel, order in then try to go to sleep at our regular times, wake up at 2:00 am and take the shuttle to the airport. Check in then wait until 4:00 am for our flight departure. (5 hour flight) I think that time at the airport from when we arrive until boarding will be tough because the kids will be exhausted.

Thanks all
Some of the kids' play places listed in the link above are open until 7 pm on 12/23.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Anna Phor

+1
marriott or some other decent full service property which will be very cheap around those dates.. pack some inflatable if pool is a concern with 2 young kids..
dragging them back to airport at 2 am is gonna be a bit tricky asleep or not - add extra time for the process
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

thanks everyone for the advice. We've decided to go to http://www.chibisindoorplayground.com/ after we land for a little bit then we will stay at the Crowne Plaza but I keep thinking of the Marriot sine the prices are very good for those dates but how much easier is it to stay there, is the hotel in the airport? Thanks again for all the great suggestions. Wish us luck, not our first trip but first with both of them.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:56 am

The Marriot is not in the airport. It's across the parking lot. I haven't stayed there, but just by looking at the map it doesn't look walkable to the terminal. You'd want to get a shuttle. But it's definitely closer than the Crowne Plaza.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.