Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Great suite properties with award nights for family of 5+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I'd love to get a thread going with specific properties that have 2-room + suites for larger families, esp with 3 or more children, available with award points (in my experience this usually means that a "suite" must be "standard"). If you know of any specific suite hotels that are especially nice or in a great location and that allow award reservations, please add them here.

I recently booked 3 nights at the new Residence Inn in Wailea, Maui with points. We have a 2-room suite with 2 double beds and a sofa bed (plus kitchen etc). The previous week, we've got a 2-bedroom, 2-bath condo at the Westin Villas, so I figured we could be "closer" these last few nights.

I also noticed that the Fairmont in Maui is an all-suite hotel, though I think only for 4 total.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
... for larger families, esp with 3 or more children.
So how many is it?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by erik123
So how many is it?
Well, I was trying to open a thread for larger families to exchange information. 2+2 can fit in a regular double room. Families of 5+ can't. What's the problem?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Homewood Suites are the best we have found.

Embassy Suites are second best.

Sadly, Starwood doesn't have as many options as widely available as Hilton does.

Marriott has some suite properties that are pretty good, too, often pretty comparable to Homewood.

All this being said, when traveling as a family, we find we get more bang for our buck (or the equivalent $ to point value) using AirBnB/VRBO/HomeAway/Etc and tend to use those options more.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:47 am

Great idea!

The Marriott Phuket Beach Club is a MVC that can be easily booked with points (even during high season) and it is all 2 bedroom condos.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut622
Great idea!

The Marriott Phuket Beach Club is a MVC that can be easily booked with points (even during high season) and it is all 2 bedroom condos.
Excellent. We will be doing a RTW trip in 2018 and Asia is definitely on the list. Will add this property to my spreadsheet.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Not quite sure what you're after. Almost all the major chain properties have suites that will accommodate families. My family always books a 1-bedroom or larger suite when on vacation. You can use points to upgrade or book outright with SPG, HH, and MR. Fairmont has certs, not points.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Not quite sure what you're after. Almost all the major chain properties have suites that will accommodate families. My family always books a 1-bedroom or larger suite when on vacation. You can use points to upgrade or book outright with SPG, HH, and MR. Fairmont has certs, not points.
I was looking for specific properties/locations (not necessarily "suite" chains/brands) that were great point redemptions for suites/families. Like the one above in Phuket. Or the Fairmont in Wailea, which is an all suite property, so a "standard" award gets you a suite. Not the case at every Fairmont.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:24 pm

Just became a family of 5, and its definitely true that lodging is a much more difficult logistic than it was previously. For some upcoming trips we've been looking almost exclusively at Residence Inn, Embassy Suite, Homewood Suite - type properties. For an upcoming trip to Florida we also found a MVC property in Miami with all 2-bedrooms, which happens to be a category 5.

Other than that, for a trip to Hawaii/New Zealand we'll be staying almost exclusively at airbnb's or other vacation rentals. I just have a hard time spending 40,000+ points when I could get a 3-bedroom house or condo for $150.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Other than that, for a trip to Hawaii/New Zealand we'll be staying almost exclusively at airbnb's or other vacation rentals. I just have a hard time spending 40,000+ points when I could get a 3-bedroom house or condo for $150.
Exactly. We're spending two months in Taiwan and found a 2 br apartment for ~$60 nightly, with kitchen, washing machine, across the street from a park, 5 minutes from a huge mall with transit, indoor pool in the building, etc. It just doesn't compare.

However, we will be spending a few days in Shanghai and a few in Zhenjiang while over there, and we'll use some points for these shorter stays.

More and more, my husband and I have been using our points for getaways for the two of us, or for very short stays for the family. But for more than a few days with kids in tow, it's AirBnB alll the way.

Now, one that comes to mind meeting the OP's description is the Family Suite at the Springhill Suites Convention Center in Anaheim: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ention-center/
It's a 1-br suite with three separate sleeping areas accommodating 6.

Several other properties in Anaheim have some good options for families. The Fairfield Inn is one. The Best Western is also really popular.

Another good Marriott is the Courtyard Maingate. This one is really close: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...park-entrance/ And it has a water park on the roof! Lots of good floorplans for families, too.

That said, Anaheim also has several fantastic vacation rentals that are great deals and still within walking distance. We last stayed in a 5 br 3 ba house with a swimming pool, view of the fireworks nightly, huge updated kitchen, double stroller included, themed rooms, etc. for about $220 nightly. This was cheaper than a single room at the Sheraton Anaheim Convention Center!

Last edited by swise; Oct 22, 2016 at 11:06 pm
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:45 am

This is a great thread - would love to see it keep going. To that end, the Hilton London Kensington has Family Suites that can be booked online with points. We're staying there in April and I'll provide an update on the room then...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AwardTravelers
This is a great thread - would love to see it keep going. To that end, the Hilton London Kensington has Family Suites that can be booked online with points. We're staying there in April and I'll provide an update on the room then...
Good to know! Hilton does seem better about allowing higher redemptions for better/bigger room types.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:09 pm

Good to know! Hilton does seem better about allowing higher redemptions for better/bigger room types.
To piggy back off this...I was able to get guaranteed connecting rooms on a points stay at the Waldorf in Versailles this past September. Customer service called the hotel to determine what room categories would need to be booked of guarantee me connecting rooms and then they got the hotel to only charge me the standard point redemption for the upgraded room categories I needed to book...now I still did have to book two rooms, but those two rooms were less than a Suite would have been.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton is the worst - their flex redemption is simply a multiple of room rate. Terrible value.

In general you are often better off booking two connecting rooms with family plan etc discount unless you use suite upgrade certs (hyatt fairmont). Vacation club properties can be an option on points.
In asia booking a reg room and asking for paid upgrades is often most effective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.