Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

EY F Apartment - carryon car seat for lap child?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

Have an award ticket in Etihad F Apartments next month and will be flying with my 6 month old as a lap infant. I'm wondering if it will be possible to take our soon to arrive travel carseat, a Cosco Scenera, onboard with us such that we can latch it to the seat so that he can easily sleep in there if I get a chance to sleep on the bed in the apartment.

Anyone know if there is a chance it could be stowed for takeoff and then I can set it up inflight? Or would the gate agent make me gate check it?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Do you know what seat you have? Half of the apartment seats are rear-facing, and carseats are typically not allowed in rear-facing seats. Even if you are forward facing, honestly, I do not know if EY allows carseats in the apartments--you should call and check (and double check, and triple check, and get it in writing, as EY is very inconsistent with policies IME).
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Do you know what seat you have? Half of the apartment seats are rear-facing, and carseats are typically not allowed in rear-facing seats. Even if you are forward facing, honestly, I do not know if EY allows carseats in the apartments--you should call and check (and double check, and triple check, and get it in writing, as EY is very inconsistent with policies IME).
My wife and I are both on the flight. One apartment is rear facing and one is forward. I have a feeling that even with advance information I may just be subject to GA and flight crew on day of the flight.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:48 am

Can you tell me how much you had to pay for a lap child? We used aa redemption and are fully prepared to pay 10% of revenue but I heard it varies. Thank you
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:53 pm

I really wish I had this problem
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Get the agent to fax or email you the rules so you hafe them with you
not sure if they have the bassenets in first
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:56 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I think the only issue would be whether the car seat can be secured somewhere during take-off/landing. If it fits in an overhead bin somewhere or it can be put in a closet, I don't see why they would have a problem with it. It's definitely worth calling to ask about it. But you're right, it's usually staff on the day that will decide.
On the day of the flight, I would just bring it on the plane, with the child in it, and then ask the flight attendant to store it in a closet for you. You don’t really even need to ask the ground staff. There’s probably a better chance of them letting you keep it on the plane once you are already on with it :-)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:07 am

I don't recall there being overhead in F apartments. I had an slightly oversized backpack and stowed it under a compartment under the bench and it only fit halfway, so I doubt a car seat will fit. The personal closet in each seat is only about 5 inches wide, so that won't work either. You might be able to ask if there is a larger onboard closet that some airplanes have to stow suitcases? I don't think it would hurt to try and bring it onboard and if its not allowed, they will either make you check it at checkin or gate check during boarding.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121
Can you tell me how much you had to pay for a lap child? We used aa redemption and are fully prepared to pay 10% of revenue but I heard it varies. Thank you
I was told it was 10% of the paid fare at the time of ticketing the child. Looking at my receipt from AA, we only had to pay $491.70 for the lap child/infant ticket for LHR-AUH and AUH-MEL. I know we paid a good bit more than that for the infant fare on our SEA-PHL-LHR flights.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

I did more research and can't find any info on decent size storage space. We have a good bag for gate checking the car seat so we'll fall back to that if we have to. At least we're only doing 1 segment at a time and less likely to lose something on a single flight vs dealing with connections.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: QF
Would love to hear how you go with this. We'll be traveling in the apartments with our 20 month old in a few months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.