Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

2 year old in first class-help with Car/plane seat suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

Hello! We are traveling to Cabo with our kids and grandkids. Its a special trip and I bought first class seats for us all. Our grandson is will turn two years old on the trip. We have a car seat with our rental in Cabo, but just realized we should likely have one on the plane too. Any suggestions for a "light" seat that will work on the plane and the car?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have found the CARES system. Looks good-and seems like it will fit first class seats on AA A320.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:00 pm

Back when my son was in car seats, we used a Costco Senaca for travel. It was lightweight and easy to install.

I have no experience with the CARES as it wasn't a product I knew about 8+ years ago.

One thing we learned was our son did great on flights when it was like riding in a car, meaning he was strapped in. It was familiar. For his personality type, familiar = calm behavior.

The only stressful flight we had was when he was 2.5 yo and I didn't take the car seat on the plane. He took that as a sign he could stand up and otherwise escape his seat area.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:17 pm

The Cosco Scenera or Cosco Scenera NEXT are good inexpensive seats. Also look into the Evenflo Maestro. Make sure to look for a seat that fits his height and weight. We've also found with some seats that we need to ask for a seatbelt extender to install them properly.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:44 am

Do you need to use a different seat in Cabo? Why not just take your regular seat? We took our gigantic Britax advocate on our last trip (business class on united flatbed) and it was fine. You can get one of the travel carts for it so you can use it instead of a stroller in the airport.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tubulus
Do you need to use a different seat in Cabo? Why not just take your regular seat? We took our gigantic Britax advocate on our last trip (business class on united flatbed) and it was fine. You can get one of the travel carts for it so you can use it instead of a stroller in the airport.
I don't like to travel with my normal seat since it can be a pain to install in the car. Plus, I know it is installed perfectly in my car, so why mess with it. Plus the extra is much lighter and easier to carry around. I have a backpack for it. It's also nice to have an extra at home if we decide to carpool
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead
I don't like to travel with my normal seat since it can be a pain to install in the car. Plus, I know it is installed perfectly in my car, so why mess with it. Plus the extra is much lighter and easier to carry around. I have a backpack for it. It's also nice to have an extra at home if we decide to carpool
I am of the same mindset as Redhead. Our "home" seat was big, heavy and expensive. The Seneca was so inexpensive, I didn't care if it got damaged and so light, I could carry it with one hand or strap it to our roller bag.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
I am of the same mindset as Redhead. Our "home" seat was big, heavy and expensive. The Seneca was so inexpensive, I didn't care if it got damaged and so light, I could carry it with one hand or strap it to our roller bag.
+1 on buying a Scenera/"travel-only" seat. Lightweight, and good as a backup in case you need to put your kid in someone else's car back at home. Musical car seats, with a 25-lb, $300, Diono Radian, is never, ever fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.