Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Unaccompanied Minors Staying with Flight Attendants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unaccompanied Minors Staying with Flight Attendants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Question Unaccompanied Minors Staying with Flight Attendants

I recently heard someone discuss how their five-year-old had to stay at the home of an airline employee after the plane the child was on made an emergency landing due to a mechanical issue and would only fly out the next day. Does this actually happen? Do kids stay at the home of airline employees in a situation like this if flying unaccompanied? I know rules vary from airline to airline, I am just surprised any would do this considering how sue happy people are. Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have heard of them spending the night in a hotel, both in an adjoining room with another child and employee in the other room, or in a double room with an employee of the same gender of course.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've heard stories of hotel rooms with two employees.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've heard stories of hotel rooms with two employees.
As an employee that's the only way I'd do it.

As a girl scout leader we are not allowed any arrangement that leaves kids with only one adult. For our protection and theirs.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In an emergency, it's gonna be what works. In general, the arrangement is two employees with one kid.

It's IRROPS which makes UM fees so expensive.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
My stepdaughter stayed in a hotel room near JFK with a gate agent, while traveling on AA. She had to wait at the airport until the GA finished her shift. While she thought it a great adventure (I think she was 10 or 11), I would add AA NEVER contacted us to let us know what was going on.

We knew the flight was cancelled, but all communication was done by calling my stepdaughter on her cell phone. We did finally get in touch with the GA, but felt this was handeled poorly. However, she was safe and happy until her new flight left the next morning.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by Often1
In an emergency, it's gonna be what works. In general, the arrangement is two employees with one kid.

It's IRROPS which makes UM fees so expensive.
I wonder why Alaska Airlines is able to get away with charging only $25 per leg, while other airlines charge $100-$150....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.