Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Ticket for Unborn Un-named Child

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum

Has anyone had success in either purchasing or getting an award ticket for a person not yet born and named? Perhaps purchasing a ticket under the name "Infant SAN1K"?
I'm strategizing how to get some international award travel for next summer (once the dates open up) and this may be part of the strategy to avoid the 10% of full-fare cabin-of-service price that we would theoretically have to pay for an infant lap child.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:52 pm

Since the child will not need to show ID, just pick a name that could apply to either gender (Kelly, Taylor, Morgan, etc.).
Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by andymell
Since the child will not need to show ID, just pick a name that could apply to either gender (Kelly, Taylor, Morgan, etc.).
Why even go that far - at <1yr who can reliably tell the difference; they are hardly gonna make you take the diaper off

Just make sure you have both a pink and blue outfit and you'll be good

Won't work for international though.....
Old Jun 6, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I think this is going to be a classic thread ^
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
However I believe that for international travel we will need a passport (even for a 6-month old) so the ticket and passport wouldn't match if we just got a ticket with a random name...
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Not really just a UA issue. I'll send this off tor TravelBuzz! for the time being.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
Has anyone had success in either purchasing or getting an award ticket for a person not yet born and named? Perhaps purchasing a ticket under the name "Infant SAN1K"?
I'm strategizing how to get some international award travel for next summer (once the dates open up) and this may be part of the strategy to avoid the 10% of full-fare cabin-of-service price that we would theoretically have to pay for an infant lap child.
Outstanding! This is my favorite post since I joined FT

I have absolutely no idea what the answer to your question is, but I am laughing my butt off.. I'm sure that you'll find a solution, but I bet that none of the airlines have to answer this on a regular basis.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:34 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Trulyblues
I bet that none of the airlines have to answer this on a regular basis.
Why not? There must be plenty of expecting families out there buying tickets for months into the future. Surely not all of them are intent on bringing lap children.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Trulyblues
I have absolutely no idea what the answer to your question is, but I am laughing my butt off.. I'm sure that you'll find a solution, but I bet that none of the airlines have to answer this on a regular basis.
Unfortunately you'll likely have the solution confiscated at security. In any event, just don't make the mistake of having your soon-to-be bundle of joy pissed off at you for a lifetime for an androgynous name that you selected because of this trip!
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We had no problem with precisely this with a Saver C award SFO-SYD 2 years ago. The res agent noted that the infant was not yet born, and once she was, I called in and the name was placed on the record without a problem.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:25 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you booking after conception? If no baby is produced are you going to pay a change fee? What if there are more than one?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
In any event, just don't make the mistake of having your soon-to-be bundle of joy pissed off at you for a lifetime for an androgynous name that you selected because of this trip!
I'm sure Baby will understand!
Raise him/her to understand the importance of FF points.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Our first child flew transatlantic at 10 weeks - I pretty sure we ticketed her as "Baby Lastname"
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cricketer
We had no problem with precisely this with a Saver C award SFO-SYD 2 years ago. The res agent noted that the infant was not yet born, and once she was, I called in and the name was placed on the record without a problem.
^

and i presume that was with UA?
Old Jun 6, 2008, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Check with the TSO's in the TS&S forum. I'm pretty sure the name "Infant SAN1K" is on the do-not-fly list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.