Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Nobody loves your children as much as you do...advice on travelling with children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nobody loves your children as much as you do...advice on travelling with children

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Some pearls of wisdom in this article. Since flying with children is never discussed on FT, and is likely to be completely uncontentious, I thought I might post this here.

Some gems:

1. Families: board last
2. Bring entertainment
3. Be quiet! No, really. You, too, Mum.
4. Chair seatbacks are a danger zone
5. Stewardess is not a synonym for babysitter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/fa...-children.html
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Some pearls of wisdom in this article. Since flying with children is never discussed on FT, and is likely to be completely uncontentious, I thought I might post this here.

Some gems:

2. Bring entertainment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/fa...-children.html
I will agree with all but the first - if you are a two adult travelling party, one should get on during the pre-boarding to get all the stuff sorted - carry ons up and out of the way, or under and out of the way, toys, books, snacks, bottles, etc. extracted and stashed in seat pockets, etc. and the second adult can board with the kids later on. However, for a single parent, I would still think getting on early, getting everyone settled, doing the last minute nip to the loo, etc etc. is better than later. I've watched parents whose carry on has to be separated from them and placed rows back play musical chairs for the entire flight getting things down, putting things up etc. and children escaping while they do this (in the particular instance I recall, it was a bulkhead, so no space for under seat storage, and her bag was about 10 rows back, she was travelling with 3 children under 5 (which, as an aside, I think is risky, what would she have done in an emergency situation [answer pre determined by me, I would get the kid beside me out in an emergency])

You also avoid the issue of people potentially seat poaching if you are on and in first.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by emma69
You also avoid the issue of people potentially seat poaching if you are on and in first.
I also disagree with the first, for all of the reasons emma69 noted, and especially this one and the carry on issue.

Not sure why this thread is here instead of the travel with children forum either.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:10 am

Stewardess? Uh oh!!
SJWs to decend on this thread in 5...4...3...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The author describes a problem situation in her introduction but then fails to offer the obvious tip to parents that could have ameliorated the problem:
1. Book seats for your young kids rather than cheaping out by taking them aboard as lap-children. You'll appreciate the extra space when they want to stretch out. Even when they're comfortable curled up in your arms, the "empty" seat is useful for wrangling toys, blankets, and other gear you're sure to have carried aboard.
This, along with "Bring plenty of entertainment" were the top two tips my sister learned a few years ago when she flew frequently with her young daughter.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
This, along with "Bring plenty of entertainment" were the top two tips my sister learned a few years ago when she flew frequently with her young daughter.
Was on a flight this summer with a mom traveling alone with a lap child, plus 3 other children. She was absolutely prepared. The three oldest children were handed small plastic boxes with their names on it right as they boarded the plane. The boxes had snacks, books, toys, etc specifically for that child. Was very impressed with her. She knew she couldn't expect help from anyone else (although it was offered by many of us) so she had plans in place to make sure her children and everyone around them were able to enjoy the trip.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by wrp96
Was on a flight this summer with a mom traveling alone with a lap child, plus 3 other children. She was absolutely prepared. The three oldest children were handed small plastic boxes with their names on it right as they boarded the plane. The boxes had snacks, books, toys, etc specifically for that child. Was very impressed with her. She knew she couldn't expect help from anyone else (although it was offered by many of us) so she had plans in place to make sure her children and everyone around them were able to enjoy the trip.
Great mom!

Additional tip is to arrange for the kids to have an above normal active day prior to flight. I found this to be helpful, as my kids were so tired they started even before take off.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since flying with children is never discussed on FT
Just want to point out that we actually have a forum titled traveling w/ children,

Travel With Children

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by emma69
I will agree with all but the first - if you are a two adult travelling party, one should get on during the pre-boarding to get all the stuff sorted - carry ons up and out of the way, or under and out of the way, toys, books, snacks, bottles, etc. extracted and stashed in seat pockets, etc. and the second adult can board with the kids later on. However, for a single parent, I would still think getting on early, getting everyone settled, doing the last minute nip to the loo, etc etc. is better than later. I've watched parents whose carry on has to be separated from them and placed rows back play musical chairs for the entire flight getting things down, putting things up etc. and children escaping while they do this (in the particular instance I recall, it was a bulkhead, so no space for under seat storage, and her bag was about 10 rows back, she was travelling with 3 children under 5 (which, as an aside, I think is risky, what would she have done in an emergency situation [answer pre determined by me, I would get the kid beside me out in an emergency])

Exactly. Not a chance I'm boarding last if I'm flying with my kids. I'm more apt to board last if I'm flying solo, but I agree with emma69 that I don't like the risk of someone seat poaching or missing out on overhead space, so I tend to board with my designated group.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by lighthand
Great mom!

Additional tip is to arrange for the kids to have an above normal active day prior to flight. I found this to be helpful, as my kids were so tired they started even before take off.
That is a great idea!

I agree with most/all of that article, but think that emma's tip about one going on to store the stuff and then the other with the child is brilliant!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by wrp96
Was on a flight this summer with a mom traveling alone with a lap child, plus 3 other children. She was absolutely prepared. The three oldest children were handed small plastic boxes with their names on it right as they boarded the plane. The boxes had snacks, books, toys, etc specifically for that child. Was very impressed with her.
^ Genius idea. Especially if the contents are a surprise for the kids in question. Although getting snacks (juice boxes, etc) past TSA might require rejiggering the effort.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
^ Genius idea. Especially if the contents are a surprise for the kids in question. Although getting snacks (juice boxes, etc) past TSA might require rejiggering the effort.
TSA are fine with non liquid snacks IMO - for drinks many airports have a water fountain after security, and you can take empty kid size bottles through with you.

You can also incorporate destination-specific activities (e.g. if they are going to Hawaii, you can have them read a book about volcanoes, a picture book of sea life, make your own wordsearch specific to the trip etc.) Older ones can be tasked with planning activities they might like to do, or finding how to get from the hotel to a restaurant using a map. Much as it pains me to say it, electronic items are an absolutely brilliant flight distraction, especially if the kid doesn't normally use them, and you can get apps along a certain theme depending on the child's age. Plus bookworms can load tons of books on to them, lightening the luggage!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton

Some gems:

2. Bring entertainment

Travel With Children

Cheers.
agree on 2, maybe on 3; 4, eh.... 5 absolutely.

skiadcock is dead on. I read the forum here when I started having kids. Got many a great tip and NOW the FA's routinely compliment us on how great we fly.

We get the kids on board quick and let them explore the seat until its time to buckle in. Lots of activities to play, ipad comes out only as a last resort, hardly ever used.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just want to point out that we actually have a forum titled traveling w/ children,

Travel With Children

Cheers.
I forgot to add the usual tongue-in-cheek ''

Since I never go there I didn't actually know we had that, but I've asked for it to be moved.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:02 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

Earlier today, I thought, and posted, that the article linked by the OP would more likely spur the type of contentious discussion (kids' behavior vs. adult traveler comfort) which would not be right for the Travel With Children forum. However, the discussion in the thread has been positive and helpful to those traveling with kids; and, therefore, I'll move this to the suggested forum with a redirect. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.