Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal and Vancouver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:51 pm
BCH
Original Poster

Montreal and Vancouver

Hello, I'd love your suggestions on things to do for an active family with a 6-yr old in Montreal and Vancouver. (We have about a week in each city.)

Our daughter is well-traveled, and generally not fussy. We like to explore new cities together, combining the cultural with active/outdoorsy. We love to eat good food.

In Montreal, we are staying at Le Centre Sheraton. So far, we've been told to try:
- Walking around Place Jacques Cartier
- Marche Jean Talon
- Exploring the Old Port
- Walking around in the Village
- Eating in Mile End
- Notre Dame
- pony-riding and exploration in Laval Nature Centre

In Vancouver, staying at the Westin Bayshore. We've never been here, and so far we know to try
- Stanley Park

Any suggestion would be most appreciated!

Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by BCH
Hello, I'd love your suggestions on things to do for an active family with a 6-yr old in Montreal and Vancouver. (We have about a week in each city.)

Our daughter is well-traveled, and generally not fussy. We like to explore new cities together, combining the cultural with active/outdoorsy. We love to eat good food.

In Montreal, we are staying at Le Centre Sheraton. So far, we've been told to try:
- Walking around Place Jacques Cartier
- Marche Jean Talon
- Exploring the Old Port
- Walking around in the Village
- Eating in Mile End
- Notre Dame
- pony-riding and exploration in Jardin Botanique

In Vancouver, staying at the Westin Bayshore. We've never been here, and so far we know to try
- Stanley Park

Any suggestion would be most appreciated!

Thanks.
I don't have my notes in front of me to give you exact names of places, but hopefully you can figure out what I mean.

Montreal: ride bikes (can be rented) along the Lachine canal, stopping at the old farmer's market for a snack. Ride the harbor ferry over to the island where the Olympic pool is open to the public, and visit the science/nature center after your swim. Spend a day at the museum (art/history) - kids are never too young to enjoy art! There's a "way cool" (in my kid's opinion) indoor science center in a huge round dome on the east side of the city. Visit the gorgeous cathedral on the hill overlooking the city. Try poutine (fries w/ gravy, it's a local thing). Sit on the grass and watch the koi at the botanical garden - when we were there, the koi actually came out of the water to eat grass. Butterfly tour at Botanical Garden.

Vancouver: Granville Island, the tram to the top of Grouse Mountain, the Native Peoples museum with awesome totem poles, Capilano Suspension Bridge, the micro ferries on False Creek. Ride the big ferries to spend a day in Victoria and treat a well-behaved young lady to tea at the Empress. Butchart Gardens on the island. Kids' playland on Granville Island. Dine on Robsonstrasse. Look for local cedar plank smoked salmon.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
This is my favorite museum in Vancouver:

http://moa.ubc.ca/

If you are going this month, the Theatre Under the Stars is always fun:

http://tuts.ca/calendar-events
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
For Vancouver, what time of year are you planning?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Vancouver: Granville Island, the tram to the top of Grouse Mountain, the Native Peoples museum with awesome totem poles, Capilano Suspension Bridge, the micro ferries on False Creek. Ride the big ferries to spend a day in Victoria and treat a well-behaved young lady to tea at the Empress. Butchart Gardens on the island. Kids' playland on Granville Island. Dine on Robsonstrasse. Look for local cedar plank smoked salmon.
These are some excellent items. One this I would add is a cheaper alternative to the Capilano suspension bridge is the Lynn Canyon Park Suspension Bridge.

Our kids have loved riding the ferries. You could try riding out to one of the Gulf Islands and just wandering around/hiking for an afternoon. Harbour Air often has great discounts on last-minute seaplane flights that make for a great experience. Kitsilano Beach is fun in the summer, otherwise a bit chilly.

Vancouver is a fantastic city for just wandering around and its proximity to Stanley Park just makes it even better. Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Montreal and Vancouver

when are you planning your trip, if it hasn't already taken place?

is be happy to add some local flavour and details to the above.

Bon voyage!

Whitey in YUL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.