Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Help with upcoming first trip with baby

Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have a few posts where I asked about traveling with infant to europe, but we decided to not do this now, and do a trip within USA.

We are planning to visit family in San Diego and flying from Philly, I have a few questions.

Diaper Bag - for security check, can we take formula and formula water through security check or does the formula need to be remade - which will get spoiled if not kept refrigerated.

we bought a seat for our baby as well and I plan on taking the chico keyfit30 carseat for the plane, is it easy to install without the base?

also taking the uppababy stroller, can we gate check the stroller?

If you reach the airport a little early can is there a possibility of an upgrade?

Any other tips or things that I am forgetting.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:13 am

Usually you can't take the formula water unless it's already mixed with the formula. You'll have to buy a bottle of water in the terminal. A car seat is never easy to install on a plane. If it's rear-facing it's impossible. I would look into the CARES harness if your kid is big enough for it. Yes you can gate check a stroller. Just make sure if you need it in transit to ask for it back on the jet bridge at the transit point and not at baggage claim at your final destination. Upgrading 3 people is damn near impossible.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: United Plus
for security check, can we take formula and formula water through security check or does the formula need to be remade - which will get spoiled if not kept refrigerated.

No, you can bring formula, water for formula and powder. No restrictions. Any liquids meant for a baby are allowed in "reasonable quantities" but even amounts for long haul international trips aren't questioned. Basically, anything related to formula is good.

we bought a seat for our baby as well and I plan on taking the chico keyfit30 carseat for the plane, is it easy to install without the base?

Should be. Practice in the car before you fly. You can't use the base on board. I recommend just leaving it at home and making sure you can do the seat belt installation comfortably. Just one more thing to lug around!

Check your manual where instructions on the seat belt-only installation and airplane use instructions are. Make sure your FAA sticker is readable.

Kudos for buying a ticket for your baby!

also taking the uppababy stroller, can we gate check the stroller?

Check your airlines' website but that should be fine. The only airline with a restriction is the 20lb limit on AA. I think the Uppababy should be under that anyway.

If you reach the airport a little early can is there a possibility of an upgrade?

Really can't tell you. What airline? Are you a ff? You might want to ask this on your airline's board to get a more accurate answer. If it's Southwest, the answer is no (only one class of service!)

Flying tips in my siggie below.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

thank you for the responses, we are flying US Airways, the baby is 8 months old so I don't think the cares harness would work, but I will look into it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Nope don't do cares. You baby is to light and small. Take the keyfit. You might need to ask the FA for a seat belt extender.

You can bring any foods or drink for a baby/toddler. I recommend two days worth in case you have a delay. When you go through security just declare your stuff and they will tell you what they want done with it. Milk, breast milk, food pouches, water, formula, juices, etc are allowed. You are also not subject to size restrictions.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Poster

I just found out that the outgoing trip we are not seated together, its two seats together in one row and the third seat is the row in front of the two seats. the return trip has all three seats together but the last row, which I think cant be reclined, and its an overnight flight of more than 5 hours. I am not sure if I should pay $78 more per seat according to US airways flight to get choice seats in the front rows.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Sid369
I just found out that the outgoing trip we are not seated together, its two seats together in one row and the third seat is the row in front of the two seats. the return trip has all three seats together but the last row, which I think cant be reclined, and its an overnight flight of more than 5 hours. I am not sure if I should pay $78 more per seat according to US airways flight to get choice seats in the front rows.
I had the same issue of not being seated together on my flight back from Mexico. I called the airline from the resort and was told it would have to be done at the airport. We got to the airport a half hr earlier in case we needed to figure this problem out, the check in desk was more than accommdating with seating all three of us together. Worst comes to worst you can always ask the three person in your row to switch seats, im sure they will be willing help considering your with a baby.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your experience, when you say half hour early you mean from the usual two hours before departure you were 2.5 hours early at at the airport?

Which airline was this?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:40 am

Thanks for sharing your experience, when you say half hour early you mean from the usual two hours before departure you were 2.5 hours early at at the airport?

Which airline was this?
We were flying international so we had to be there 3 hours before, so we got there about about 3.5 hours before just to have some wiggle room in case of any issues. Some people think its excessive but I like to have plenty of spare time rather than rushing everywhere, because with little kids its kind of hard to rush.
It was United Airlines.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
OP, you can check if upgrades are available when you get to the airport. There will be a fee. The chances of three upgrades being available, especially 2 or more seats next to each other, is likely to be zero.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...ades.html?re=1
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
You can bring any foods or drink for a baby/toddler. I recommend two days worth in case you have a delay. When you go through security just declare your stuff and they will tell you what they want done with it. Milk, breast milk, food pouches, water, formula, juices, etc are allowed. You are also not subject to size restrictions.
The OP is flying from Philadelphia to San Diego. Taking two days worth of formula and baby supplies for the flight would be a bit excessive.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Hi all,
I believe we have the same car seat, and it's easy to install without the base in the car. Practice at home so know you what you are doing.

The challenge in an airplane is that sometimes the seat belt buckle falls right where you need put the seat belt through the car seat slot. I typically have dealt with that by sliding the short end of the belt in first (even if that means tipping the seat slightly), then buckling the belt and tightening it a bunch. In the process of tightening, the seat levels out.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Diaper Bag - for security check, can we take formula and formula water through security check or does the formula need to be remade - which will get spoiled if not kept refrigerated.
I'd definitely get the bottled formula for the trip, makes life a lot easier logistically.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: United Plus
I had the opposite experience. Premade formula was heavy and awkward to use when flying.

I premeasured the power into disposable liners, rolled them up and sealed them in a ziplock. I'm mentioning this method in case you're already using a disposable liner system. Your trip is short enough and you have the luxury of traveling with the other parent so you can actually do what works for you. I had to carry all that heavy formula myself. Never again!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing all the good ideas, Although I bought a ticket for the baby, now I am wondering If I should be carrying the car seat.

Is the car seat to be installed in the middle seat or can you install on the window seat as well. It will prevent the person in from from reclining correct, do they give you nasty looks? haha

By bottled formula you guys mean the 2 oz similac or enamil correct? yeah I think I like the idea of just taking the bottles filled with water, if they allow us to take it though security and the jar of formula.

So help me with a checklist here

Diapers
Wipes
Formula
Toys
Bibs
Extra clothes
Blanket
Snacks
Car seat
Stroller
Infant Tylenol

what else am i missing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.