Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

One long nonstop vs Two shorter flights/layovers w/toddler

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver

I've gone over this in my head a few times, but I'd like to hear some of your expert opinions. If you had the choice between getting the long haul flight out of the way or breaking it up with a layover (and possibly an overnight stay in a hotel) which would you choose and why?

Here is my backstory, if it matters any- I have an almost 2 year old. We need to fly DXB-JFK. On the way out, he is a lap infant, on the way back he is a child. Here are my options:

1. DXB-JFK, lap child in J on Emirates (where I am Gold). JFK-DXB, 2 seats in Y. I've flown with him in J many times as a lap child, and survived, but the cost for the two of us to fly back in J is crazy.

2. DXB-LHR-JFK in Premium Economy on Virgin (where I am Silver). Each way, we would have 2 seats. For a fraction of the cost of EK; Upper class is even cheaper than EK, but I've been in those seats before and I don't think it would work for my son and I just yet. I could also plan a stop over and stay a night in a hotel room.

Thoughts?
Old May 18, 2015, 7:01 am

Non-stop all the way, especially if it's overnight. So much easier than dealing with transfers and the inevitable queues and delays etc.

On the other hand, while I couldn't find chapter and verse on this on the current website, at least previously VA had the policy of applying infant fares for the whole journey as long as the child was under two when they started. (Emirates, as you note, charges a full child fare for the return.)
Old May 19, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I certainly agree, would not do Virgin Upper Class with a two year old. You might not be able to see each other, and no way you could reach him.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
If it is an overnight and the child ha a chance to sleep, I'd give him a dose of Tylenol PM and go for the single flight.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by sonoranjerseygirl
the cost for the two of us to fly back in J is crazy.
I am not familiar with this flight, but depending on the plane layout, would you consider purchasing an extra Y seat on the way back? Gives you a little extra space.

Also, even on a long flight like this, I would always choose a non-stop over a connecting flight. I don't think an overnight would really help or be that refreshing as you're still in transit and having time issues. You might or might not sleep well.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Non-stop all the way, especially if it's overnight. So much easier than dealing with transfers and the inevitable queues and delays etc.

On the other hand, while I couldn't find chapter and verse on this on the current website, at least previously VA had the policy of applying infant fares for the whole journey as long as the child was under two when they started. (Emirates, as you note, charges a full child fare for the return.)
BA is the opposite of EK in this respect; they will charge you the infant fare for the entire trip if the child in question turns two between the outbound and inbound...something to think about depending on the EK and VS pricing and your preference to do one long haul or two. They also offer PE all the way through.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Originally Posted by expatboy
BA is the opposite of EK in this respect; they will charge you the infant fare for the entire trip if the child in question turns two between the outbound and inbound...something to think about depending on the EK and VS pricing and your preference to do one long haul or two. They also offer PE all the way through.
Thanks for the tip! VS charges a child fare on the way back. I never considered BA before, but I can fly BA in Club World for the price I would pay for 2 PE seats on VS....which is loads cheaper than EK, since EK is making me pay a one way fare for each of us.

Has anyone attempted this on BA before? Flying out with infant/back with with child? I called two different numbers (UAE and UK) and both said that I should just book him as an infant throughout and call at least a week before the return to secure a seat for him. Just seems kind of, I don't know, shady. Essentially, I'm getting a one way Club World ticket for free. I'm skeptical, I guess.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA
See this page on ba.com - you can't book online so have to call them unfortunately (or go to a airport ticket desk if you're passing one).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.