Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Electric Breast Pump used internationally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Hi-
I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience using the Medela Pump in style internationally. I'm heading to the UK for eight days, and that will require an awful lot of batteries if I can't plug it into the wall, but I've not found any information on whether it really is possible to successfully convert the 9W 110V pump overseas. I checked the archives, but there weren't any recent topics on the subject, so I thought it worth while to see if anyone has managed this recently and would be willing to impart some wisdom/advice. Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Did you check the Medela web page? Your question is answered there:

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...breastpump/573
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks...I did check that out originally. It appears to be something of a cover, since older versions of the question did not include that answering language. I saw a number of people speculate that they probably had to change it after people complained that using an adapter (not a transformer or voltage converter) didn't work and/or broke their machine. I was mainly wondering if anyone had any success personally with a converter recently. The anecdotes I've found through the wonder of google all occurred a while ago, and the links to products that I could otherwise investigate no longer work. It might be impossible, but I thought there is also a decent chance that a fellow frequent flyer could in fact provide some more recent intel.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
If it's truly rated at 9W, then even the smaller transformers that work up to 30-35W continuous should work just fine. Plenty on Amazon in the $10-20 range.

An alternative is to buy a good set of rechargeable batteries and just recharge those overseas. All the chargers I've seen are dual voltage and should be fine with just an adapter. Batteries like the Eneloop or even Amazon rechargeables will last longer than your average alkaline and you won't have to worry about constantly replacing them. The downside is that they are more expensive up front - about $25 for 8 batteries and another $30 for a decent charger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.