Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with 3 month old infant

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Flying with 3 month old infant

Hello,

I'm going to be flying from Newark to TLV in June with my 3-month old baby. I reserved a bulkhead seat with a bassinet for him to sleep in. I would like to know what the rules are for using the bassinet (do I really need to take him out every time the fasten seat belts sign goes on)? I would also like to know what other people's experiences flying with an infant are? Do you recommend breastfeeding during takeoff and landing? Do I just hold the baby in my lap when he's not in the bassinet? At what age should I bring a car seat for him for the plane? Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
You will get different opinions about the car seat.

You will have to hold your baby during take off, landings and anytime the fasten the seat belt light is on. So if it is a turbulent flight you will be holding your baby most of the time. The bassinet does not provide any type of protection to the baby. It is simply a convenience.

The easiest place for any child is in a car seat. They are comfortable and safe for the child so you can get some rest/eat/move without worrying about the baby.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
As for breast/bottle feeding. There is no reason to wake him up to feed him during take-off or landing. If he is awake and fussy, then go ahead and feed him. My daughter was a great traveller at that age and I did not feed her during take-off or landing on any of the 3 roundtrips we took during that time frame.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
The easiest place for any child is in a car seat. They are comfortable and safe for the child so you can get some rest/eat/move without worrying about the baby.
Yes, but then you'd have to pay full price for another seat. I'd go with the bassinet.

I'm guessing there won't be turbulence all the way from Newark to Tel Aviv!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
Yes, but then you'd have to pay full price for another seat. I'd go with the bassinet.

Yes, but how annoying to get the baby to sleep and then have to wake him or her up because of a five minute period of turbulence. Buying a seat may be more expensive, but it is quite a bit more convenient than the bassinet.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta

"Full price" makes it sound like you have to pay an extra fee for the car seat. You can simply buy the cheapest fare available. I believe all the airlines charge a fee for a lap child on international flights. Sometimes the 10% lap child fare may not be that cheap and you can get a discounted seat for not much more.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
"Full price" makes it sound like you have to pay an extra fee for the car seat. You can simply buy the cheapest fare available. I believe all the airlines charge a fee for a lap child on international flights. Sometimes the 10% lap child fare may not be that cheap and you can get a discounted seat for not much more.
I'm not sure how stating that you'll have to pay full price (which simply means you'd have to pay a regular ticket fare for an infant to have a seat rather than a percentage of the regular fare for a lap child) sounds like you'll have to pay extra for a car seat

To another poster, the OP is talking about a flight EWR-TLV. That's a very, very long flight. If there is any turbulence, there will be many uninterrupted hours where the baby will sleep (assuming it doesn't spend hours crying as 3 month olds can do, being held by an adult anyway).
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: United Plus
Yes, you have to remove the baby from the bassinet in turbulence when the seat belt sign goes on. If the baby is sleeping in a car seat, you can just let him sleep undisturbed.

How full is the flight? Perhaps you can nab an extra seat to use your car seat in. Ask at check-in but it's not guaranteed. Please don't complain that there were empty seats and you weren't given one. The airlines won't move passengers around.

In any case, never check a car seat as luggage!! They get thrown around just like luggage, no special treatment and they're not really that strong. You're supposed to replace them after even a minor accident so if it's dropped from the truck on to the tarmac, that could damage it just as much.

Take it to the gate and if you can't use it on board, it'll get gate-checked, which is slightly better.

Yes, it's a myth that children have to drink on take-off and landing. I think that was done when cabins weren't pressurized but today, it's a different story. Mine were breastfed and slept in their car seats peacefully for more take-off's and landings than I can count.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To another poster, the OP is talking about a flight EWR-TLV. That's a very, very long flight. If there is any turbulence, there will be many uninterrupted hours where the baby will sleep (assuming it doesn't spend hours crying as 3 month olds can do, being held by an adult anyway).
Assuming there will be "many uninterrupted hours" without even a brief period of turbulence is a big assumption. It's entirely possible that the seatbelt sign will be on for many hours in a row, meaning the baby will not be allowed to use the bassinet for long periods of time. And even if that is not the case, it is also entirely possible that the OP will put the child down to sleep, only to have to wake the child five minutes later because of a one or two minute period of light turbulence that causes the captain to turn on the fasten seat belt sign. And then the OP might be able to put the child back down to sleep, only to have to wake the child up 15 minutes later for another brief period of turbulence. Repeat that two or three times, and the flight becomes a no-sleep flight for the infant.

It's certainly possible that the OP will be able to let the child sleep for long blocks of time, but it's also possible that there will be no such lengthy periods of sleep at all. If it's important to the OP, buying a seat will guarantee the ability to let the child sleep even through turbulence.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:15 am

Having flown many TATL with little kids from ages 6 weeks to 3 years, I also agree that a car seat is the way to go. In addition to everything that has been said above, I think it gives the kids a feeling of security from being in a cozy familiar environment and being right next to a parent.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
A car seat is the way to go. It was so easy when we did it a few weeks ago. No need to feed for take off and landing either unless the baby wants some boob.

Baby wearing is great for getting around airports and nursing for long periods of time as it frees up your hands and distributes the weight more evenly. I'd you don't have a baby carrier I highly recommend Lillebaby as it has lumbar support (you need it in a few months).

And use the car seat on the flight. Everyone will be much more comfortable.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:15 pm

Have never done anywhere near that long of a flight with out 13 month old twins (5 hour, 3 hour, and numerous shorter flights); however, I don't think it would even be a consideration- I would buy the extra seat.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:10 am

If flying United be careful as they request for a bulkhead bassinet seat may not materialize. Do you already have the seat reserved?

If you do have a bassinet bullhead seat reserved I would not but a separate seat.
Old May 3, 2015, 3:58 pm

Voice of dissent here -- I would not buy the seat. My kid screamed his head off in the car seat until he was almost two. It would have been neither comfortable nor convenient. On long flights, he slept on my lap.

If you have the funds/miles for it, I'd recommend an upgrade to business over an extra seat in economy. I know there are plenty of folks here who disagree, though -- so part of this equation is knowing your own kid and how they are likely to react (and assuming the baby in question is somewhere between two and four weeks old right now, that's no easy feat!)
Old May 8, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by Anna Phor
Voice of dissent here -- I would not buy the seat. My kid screamed his head off in the car seat until he was almost two. It would have been neither comfortable nor convenient. On long flights, he slept on my lap.
You're very patient. I couldn't bear it to have my children pin me down for hours on end. I needed to get up without waking them.

My son hated his car seat too. He screamed his head off when we in the car but he was fine on the plane. I think it was because I was right there, leaning over him, paying attention. In the car, I was busy driving. I know now that the light bothered him so that wasn't an issue either.

It's not so much a matter of agreement but it's kind of a shame to use up the upgrade miles when most of your time is spend taking care of the child. No enjoying the choice of movies, drinks, etc.

Good think they aren't so much work forever...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.