Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more car seat!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

No more car seat!!

Only in this forum will people understand.

I just booked a very long international in October for myself and my then 4 year old.

I will have a trusted car seat at the destination in addition to a Ride Safer vest.

This means I do not have to lug a car seat on to several planes, I do not have to maneuver a car seat, 4 year old and hand baggage through several airports by myself.

I'm sill in shock. This might even be an enjoyable experience!!!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:19 pm

Haha, it truly is a liberating experience. I hauled my sons huge car seat for a few trips, each time dreading having to go through the airport. Then we had our second kid, and I told our family if they ever wanted us to come visit, they'd better buy a car seat because there was no way I was going to haul two car seats through 3 airports.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes!

Losing the stroller was milestone 1, then the car seat.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: United Plus
My first trip without the car seat, I was all "Yeah! No car seat to haul!!"

I was sooooo excited. I put my Radian on a foldable luggage cart and pulled it behind me. What I forgot, was that I would chuck all the carry-on's in the car seat when the child wasn't actually riding in it (which was usually the case, since she hated strollers of any kind and loved to walk).

My darned backpack had to stay on my back! Nowhere to unload it.

So much for all that fanfare! (and no way am I dragging a rollaboard with me!)
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
My first trip without the car seat, I was all "Yeah! No car seat to haul!!"

I was sooooo excited. I put my Radian on a foldable luggage cart and pulled it behind me. What I forgot, was that I would chuck all the carry-on's in the car seat when the child wasn't actually riding in it (which was usually the case, since she hated strollers of any kind and loved to walk).

My darned backpack had to stay on my back! Nowhere to unload it.

So much for all that fanfare! (and no way am I dragging a rollaboard with me!)
I'm actually considering a nice rollaboard to replace my trusty, but worn backpack. My child unfortunately would always want to ride in his car seat, so no luck there for me.

One bonus for a decent sized rollaboard...I can get all of our crap in there and then we'll only have the one piece between the two of us.

I'm lucky to have a walker. He can walk all day long for miles and miles without tiring. I still have a very nice stroller that I haven't used in years that I should probably sell.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Congratulations, CBear! All of us lugging car seats through airports look at you with envy

My little guy is 19 months and on a trip earlier this month I tried using the CARES for the first time... it's kind of workable, but he's still a bit small. I ended up using the car seat on the return flight which is awkward because when he's front-facing, he can kick the seat ahead of him but when he's rear facing, it's tough to find a comfortable position for sleep.

I'm hoping that for our next family trip this summer when he's 2, that he'll be a bit bigger and more comfortable in the CARES.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
It's a glorious moment!!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
The Ride Safer vest is great. I still have our size small vest lying around somewhere, which my girls have outgrown. Such a convenience and takes up hardly any space. Biggest drawback when riding in a car is that they're too low to really see out the windows, but a great investment otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.