Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

mother traveling with a baby needs a letter form father?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mother traveling with a baby needs a letter form father?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Not even a parent but as a grandparent, I have taken kids to Europe and never been asked for this letter, although I have always had one signed by both parents.
Do you have the same last name as your grandchildren?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
Do you have the same last name as your grandchildren?
No.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:43 pm

Thanks; was just wondering as my husband and I would like to take our grandson to Europe in a year or two. We have the same last name, so I was wondering if anyone would ask us if we had his mom's permission to travel. I guess we should get the letter, just to be safe.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:23 pm

Thanks; was just wondering as my husband and I would like to take our grandson to Europe in a year or two. We have the same last name, so I was wondering if anyone would ask us if we had his mom's permission to travel. I guess we should get the letter, just to be safe.
You need a letter from both parents if at all possible. I also carry a letter that allows me to authorize medical treatment.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:54 pm

Husband at destination

My husband is India and has been for the past year, pursuing an MBA. We are traveling in a few days to be with him at his graduation ceremony and then bring him back home with us. Our son is 2 yrs 3 mos old. Will I still need such a letter?
TIA!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dwdrop
My husband is India and has been for the past year, pursuing an MBA. We are traveling in a few days to be with him at his graduation ceremony and then bring him back home with us. Our son is 2 yrs 3 mos old. Will I still need such a letter?
TIA!
Get the letter. It is always better to be safe than sorry and be denied boarding
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead
Get the letter. It is always better to be safe than sorry and be denied boarding
Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
You need a letter from both parents if at all possible. I also carry a letter that allows me to authorize medical treatment.
Not an issue; his father is deceased.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not an issue; his father is deceased.
Make sure that is documented in some way. I have a friend with a kid by donor and she always carried something that says the kid has no father- for schools, doctors, etc. I think that is more common now, but her kid is 19 and it was not so much then.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Make sure that is documented in some way. I have a friend with a kid by donor and she always carried something that says the kid has no father- for schools, doctors, etc. I think that is more common now, but her kid is 19 and it was not so much then.
I believe a death certificate is sufficient.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I believe a death certificate is sufficient.
Yes, that's what I carry and it has been all that's needed. In addition, during my daughter's Global Entry Interview, they looked at the death certificate and noted that she had only one living parent in her information. Since then, I haven't been asked for anything, though I always bring it.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
Ok I have nothing to contribute, but just a question : WHAT? Is this just a Canadian thing, or something new after 9/11 or what? Since when would a child's legal parent not be able to travel at will, anywhere, with the child? Either parent, without such a permission letter? And if this is really a thing, is it just the female parent who needs "permission", or both?
Several countries require permission from the absent parent. My husband had to travel with his court papers granting him full legal custody of his children when traveling between the US and Canada.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's an attempt to prevent international kidnappings, especially as part of custody disputes.

Another aspect, at least for the USA, is that both parents must agree for a child to be issued a passport. IIRC a parent can also flag a kid's data so that notification is sent if someone attempts to obtain a passport for the child.
Both parents plus the child must be present at time of passport application. Or notarized consent (on standardized state dept. form), death certificate or court order in lieu of absent parent.

Bit of a pain in the behind, but understandable.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We are taking our granddaughter to Aruba next month. Have a letter signed by both parents expressing travel permission and permission to seek medical care. Notarized. Just in case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.