Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Getting run around on Car seat without infant on China Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I will be traveling to Taiwan in a few days to meet up with my wife and my soon to be born baby.

I'm bringing a Britax travel system (stroller + car seat), and I was planning to check in the stroller (in box) and bring the car seat as a carry on (i guess they will gate check it?). http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/b-safe

My Jetblue flight from FLL to JFK will let me do this just fine. But I'm getting the run-around with China Airlines flight from JFK to KHH. I was told I can counter check in for free by one person, counter check in for a FEE from another, or carry on for free, or have no idea. I'm really confused at this point.

My question is, has anyone with experience with this? I thought about counter check in the car seat and bring the stroller, but the box is over by 2" and i dont want to pay the extra $100 for oversize fee since i'm already low on budget. And I dont want to do it without box because I dont think it'll survive 3 connecting flights (another TPE->KHH) with just a cover. But I guess I have to pick one or the other if carry on the plane is not an option.

Last edited by mrgodai; Dec 5, 2014 at 7:23 pm
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:51 pm

first of all, a big congrats!

My guess is, you have to check in the car seat for safety reasons. China airlines are very strict for in flight safety.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I'm not sure how you plan to carry on a large car seat; I don't know where this would be stowed in the cabin.

Air China's web site indicates that you can only check a stroller or folding cradle for free for an infant; no mention of a car seat:

http://www.airchina.com.cn/www/en/ht...ID=50000000000

Additionally, since you aren't actually traveling with the infant on the outbound flight, they may not let you check the stroller for free.

Personally, I'd box up the car seat and be prepared to pay to check it.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

yeah i'm probably going to check it. Thanks for the info!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:51 pm
She

You should be able to gate check. I've gate checked both car seat and stroller when flying with China Airlines before and they were fine about it.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by She
You should be able to gate check. I've gate checked both car seat and stroller when flying with China Airlines before and they were fine about it.
OP is flying Air China (horrible airline, by the way), not China Airlines.

My error.

Last edited by lost*in*cyberspace; Dec 18, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
OP is flying Air China (horrible airline, by the way), not China Airlines.
The thread title and OP say China Airlines, not Air China. I'm confused.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The thread title and OP say China Airlines, not Air China. I'm confused.
You are right; my mistake.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status

Last edited by vicarious_MR'er; Dec 18, 2014 at 9:29 pm Reason: oops nevermind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.