Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Eight hours in Istanbul with a 5 yo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Traveling Washington, DC, to Perth, Australia, via Istanbul and Kuala Lumpur.

We have 8 hours in Istanbul on the outbound and homebound legs. Outbound is late afternoon through nighttime (4.30pm to 1.00am); coming back, we get in at 5.00am and leave in mid afternoon.

Would love suggestions either of things to do that are an easy trip away from the airport, or else any airport-based activities or places to chill out. Not sure what sort of shape we will be in when we get there.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status

We recently traveled thru ist, and due to weather disruptions had longer than expected in the airport. We paid for entry into one of the prineclass lounges, and it was well worth it. It was the one upstairs from the food court.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Take a boat trip down the Bosphorus and walk up the hill to the ruined castle at the far end. Then get a waffle (specialty of the village) from a street vendor before returning to the boat.

If you have time, go to the market and spice market.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:56 am

Check out the Rahmi M Koç Museum and see if that is something that would interest your child. I don't think it is far from the airport and it has a lot of interesting exhibits that may be of interest. My son was 6/7 y.o. when we were there and he loved it. Lots of cars, planes, boats if I recall correctly.

Keba
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anyone been to the Istanbul Aquarium? It looks to be about a 10 minute drive from the airport, on the water.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I would go to the old city and look at the areas from the Sultan Ahmed (Blue Mosque) to Hippodrome to Aia Sofia. They are very doable in a few hours. To me, if you're in Istanbul, these are the must see areas.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: NW, UA
Definitely recommend the Aquarium!

We were just there in July with our just turned 7 year old. The aquarium was one of the highlights of our trip! When we had finished seeing everything she just wanted to go in again, which we did. Honestly, I enjoyed it as much as she did.
They also have free shuttles that go to and from Sultanahmet square if you find you have some extra time (and aren't coerced into repeating the experience like we were) before heading back to the airport.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

True confessions -- we spent the entire time, inbound and outbound, holed up in the Turkish Airways lounge.

The timing just didn't work out well. On our outbound trip, we would have had between about 6-10pm; on the inbound, between 8-11am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.