Wiki Posts
Search

one family member in business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

one family member in business

Hi,
We're planning a long haul family trip - US to Asia. There is a good chance that I can get my employer to pay for my ticket which means I can get a business class ticket. We'll get economy tickets for the spouse and child and lap infant. Do most airlines allow the infant to come up with me to the business cabin to give the spouse a break?

What is the best option for us, if we cannot afford to buy business class tickets for the whole family?
I could just travel economy too, and not take advantage of what the employer is willing to pay for, but wondering if there are any other options.

Thanks,
Stan
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Depends on the airlines.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Currently our top option is Emirates. Any idea what their policies are?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Well firstly there is always the option to ask the purser/FA if they wouldn't mind if you and your wife switched seats ONCE during the flight to allow each some rest time and each of you time with both children. While this is against standard policy it has been my experience on other airlines switching once is not an issue and adding in that it would be to care for children which would keep passengers happy too should help secure this arrangement.

For your elder child EK has programs for them which can be found here: http://www.emirates.com/us/english/f...ng_flyers.aspx

For your lap infant more info can be found here: http://www.emirates.com/us/english/f...ng_flyers.aspx

As lap infant fares are a portion of the adult fare trying to bring an infant up to Business Class while paying the discounted rate based on an Economy ticket would in essence be fraud. Not something I'd personally hold against you, as it doesn't seem you're trying to avoid paying over the comfort for all involved, but it is still what it is.

Be sure to mention with the booking that it would be 1 adult+1 child+1 lap infant meaning 4 total for the row (assuming 3 seats in section) for emergency equipment. That way a row with the proper level of equipment available can be secured and the booking noted as. It's more to avoid last minute conflicts in proper seating over anything else.

Good luck.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have switched once for childcare and rest reasons. Not on Emirates. Most flight attendants think it is awesome that Dad wants to give mom a break.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Actually, I'm thinking of getting the infant a business class ticket, since that is quite affordable.
Hopefully, they'll also allow one switch for the adults so that both can get some rest.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: United Plus
On both airlines I worked for, switching was not allowed officially. Unofficially, if people make a one-time swap, very subtly, not disturbing other passengers, we simply looked the other way.

Having said this, I've seen this go wrong quite a few times. The biggest "fear" I have is that the older child will bolt up front to visit the other parent, especially if the baby is up there. You might want to discuss this with your child and explain that he can't just wander up there. That was the bigger problem I've seen.

It might work better to just sit two and two, rather than trying any switching.

Personally, I think it's easier for everyone if the whole family sits together but that's just my opinion.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Personally, I think it's easier for everyone if the whole family sits together but that's just my opinion.
^ +1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.