Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Can children/teenagers use the Automated Passport Control?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Can a 16yr old traveler use the Automated Service? My niece in law is travelling for Christmas and a we want to know if she can use it? I heard the say its over 18 but is it a case of the airlines/airport DISCOURAGES using it, the officer behind the computer will flag her or the machines simply won't let her in?

I've checked the websites and it seems that some EU countries don't issue biometrics for children? But if the UK issues it, does it mean it can work?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My 15 used it, it took her pic and printed the slip out, the 12 year old it did not take her pic, we went to the officer, he looked at her, and we were good.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
My kids (newborn, 11 and 13 year olds) are all global entry so in the US definitely.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyerblueatlantic
Can a 16yr old traveler use the Automated Service? My niece in law is travelling for Christmas and a we want to know if she can use it? I heard the say its over 18 but is it a case of the airlines/airport DISCOURAGES using it, the officer behind the computer will flag her or the machines simply won't let her in?

I've checked the websites and it seems that some EU countries don't issue biometrics for children? But if the UK issues it, does it mean it can work?
Minor children/teenagers can certainly use APC kiosks in the US if they are seeking admittance into the US on the same kind of criteria as that which makes adults eligible for APC use. Photos of younger minors aren't taken by the machines so there is that difference.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
As previous posters have observed, minors can indeed use the machines. Also, to clarify, there are no bio-metrics recorded by the machines, and not even photos are taken of young ones.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Erasmus
As previous posters have observed, minors can indeed use the machines. Also, to clarify, there are no bio-metrics recorded by the machines, and not even photos are taken of young ones.
On the issue of pictures, I am usually in all my kids pics as I help them through the kiosk...... The camera is pointed above their heads...
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it asked you to take a pic of them? Because it skipped that step for our 12 year old but not for 15, so I assumed the cut off is somewhere between 12 and 15.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:58 am

Just to clarify that was the the Global Entry Kiosk. We did go through the Automated machine for my newborn before he had his global entry interview and I don't recall if it required a picture....
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by omarhaydar
Just to clarify that was the the Global Entry Kiosk. We did go through the Automated machine for my newborn before he had his global entry interview and I don't recall if it required a picture....
For APC kiosks, there is no picture required of relatively young minors -- mostly pre-teen minors.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
So it asked you to take a pic of them? Because it skipped that step for our 12 year old but not for 15, so I assumed the cut off is somewhere between 12 and 15.
If it's like the fingerprint on normal entry cut off is 15. My son (15) had to do it bit his 13 yr old sister didn't so we asked what the cut off was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.