Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Cosco Scenera - Will It Really Fit Rear Facing

Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

After reading the recommendations on FT I bought a Cosco Scenera car seat for an upcoming trip to Asia for my 11 month old daughter.

But now that I've got it home, and started using it in our Civic, it doesn't seem possible that it would really fit in an airplane seat rear facing. So I've come to Flyer Talk to ask those of you with first hand experience, can you really fit a car seat rear-facing in coach? Even if it would fit, I have to imagine it would ruin the recline of the seat in front of it, right?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: HH honors, Mileage Plus, Delta
I would suggest a bulkhead seat if at all possible. I thought about using a seat for our april 16th flight pvg-ord. But decided against it for that reason. We purchased a seat for the lil spud and will hold her when the seat belt sign is on.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Note that many bulkhead seats have fixed armrests, thus reducing the amount of width available for a carseat. For that reason, we've always selected seats with moveable armrests, as it was essential to fit our Peg Perego rear-facing carseat and even our Britax front-facing carseats when our kids were little(r).

And yes, depending on the seat pitch, rear-facing may affect the full recline of the seat in front. Never had that issue in United Economy Plus, though.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
It fits, even on tiny commuter jets. We've used ours on Embraers before. I think it should fit in the bulkhead row.

If you can't get a bulkhead row, and if you have two adults in your party, you could have one adult sit in the seat in front of the child, so that you're not inconveniencing a stranger. Otherwise, you could offer a gift card to the inconvenienced stranger. That's what we would do -- although all of our flights at the time were domestic.

If the child pushes with their feet on their seatback it can cause the back of the scenera to touch the seat in front, which could disturb the person sitting in it. So you might want to do what you can to discourage your child from doing it if you can.

They really are great for travel. Have a nice trip!

ETA- Here's a picture (not a great one... but at least you can see that it fits). This was, I think, an MD80.

ETA2: Here's a better picture. (found on the googles) And here's the article related to the picture. Good info!

Last edited by swise; Apr 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by swise
It fits, even on tiny commuter jets. We've used ours on Embraers before. I think it should fit in the bulkhead row.

If you can't get a bulkhead row, and if you have two adults in your party, you could have one adult sit in the seat in front of the child, so that you're not inconveniencing a stranger. Otherwise, you could offer a gift card to the inconvenienced stranger. That's what we would do -- although all of our flights at the time were domestic.

If the child pushes with their feet on their seatback it can cause the back of the scenera to touch the seat in front, which could disturb the person sitting in it. So you might want to do what you can to discourage your child from doing it if you can.

Wow, that looks terrible for the person sitting in the seat in front of the car seat. They not only cannot recline at all, any movement by your child is going to jostle their seat. I would never use a rear facing seat on a plane unless a family member could sit in the seat in front.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
Wow, that looks terrible for the person sitting in the seat in front of the car seat. They not only cannot recline at all, any movement by your child is going to jostle their seat. I would never use a rear facing seat on a plane unless a family member could sit in the seat in front.
In order to be FAA compliant, any child under 22 lbs cannot be faced forward in a Scenera. Additionally, a child *can* sit rear-facing up to 35 lbs in a scenera. It reclines more rear-facing, making it more comfortable for sleeping.

So, optimal scenario, imo, is to put one parent in front of the child and one next to the child, so that no (major) compromises have to be made.

I should add that sometimes the Scenera does touch the seat in front of it, and other times it clears the seat. Sometimes the seat in front has even been able to recline slightly, in our experience. And AA's new seat backs don't lean back at all; the seat bottom instead slides forward. So there will be some flights where it's not an issue.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why don't you get an infant basket seat?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

My daughter is right at the edge of our Keyfit 22's limit weight wise. I'm not sure if she'd be under 22 pounds on our return in a month. (That's why we are leaving our infant carrier at home).

I think I'd rather forward face, if necessary, on the plane, and have a better fitting car seat for all the driving we'll be doing on the other side of the world. Rear facing in the car won't be a problem.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robe0341
I think I'd rather forward face, if necessary, on the plane, and have a better fitting car seat for all the driving we'll be doing on the other side of the world. Rear facing in the car won't be a problem.
"22 lb weight limit"?
So 21.5 lb is ok but 22.5 will lead to catastrophic failure?

also is there a reference for this rather bold (and imho misleading) statement?
In order to be FAA compliant, any child under 22 lbs cannot be faced forward in a Scenera.
The question to ask is why would you want a 22lbs forward facing when rear-facing is so much safer and comfortable?

Most babies outgrow car seats by height, not weight. Mine were well under the weight limit when they outgrew all of theirs'. Babies are usually way too small for the car seat by the time they get to the weight limit and often, those infant-bucket styled seats are uncomfortable at that age. They're cramped and want to sit up more. If there's a lot of driving at the destination, then a convertible makes much more sense.

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Apr 9, 2014 at 2:21 am
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
IME, quite the contrary. We've taken both our kids around the world in a Cosco Scenera. It does fit backwards--in every plane we've ever tried, including various flavors of regional jets. When it's backwards, any kicking the kid does is of his/her own seat. When forward-facing, kicking will inevitably be of the seat in front of them.

Now, it is true that in many coach cabins, pitch is sufficiently tight that it does deny the person in front the ability to recline, especially in the older style seats that recline into the space behind. (Many newer seats recline in place by sliding the seat bottom forward, so they do not encroach on the passenger behind.)

I agree that bulkheads are ideal for a number of reasons, but I've never head a problem physically rear-facing a Scenera. I have, however, encountered FAs who insist it is not "allowed" (contrary to all FAA rules/regs to my knowledge) and so have spun it around rather than get into a fight about it.

Last edited by Erasmus; Apr 12, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In another amusing development my post was edited by moderator of this forum (hopefully by mistake) with underlined part added.

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Apr 9, 14 at 1:21 am..
Originally Posted by azepine00
"22 lb weight limit"?

also is there a reference for this rather bold (and imho misleading) statement?

The question to ask is why would you want a 22lbs forward facing when rear-facing is so much safer and comfortable?

Most babies outgrow car seats by height, not weight. Mine were well under the weight limit when they outgrew all of theirs'. Babies are usually way too small for the car seat by the time they get to the weight limit and often, those infant-bucket styled seats are uncomfortable at that age. They're cramped and want to sit up more. If there's a lot of driving at the destination, then a convertible makes much more sense

Last edited by azepine00; Apr 11, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:09 am

I have to agree. If you can rear-face the Scenera, it is much more comfortable for the child, as they are more reclined for sleeping. There is a foot that adjusts for forward-facing that tilts the seat much more upright.

Most babies outgrow car seats by height, not weight. Mine were well under the weight limit when they outgrew all of theirs'. Babies are usually way too small for the car seat by the time they get to the weight limit and often, those infant-bucket styled seats are uncomfortable at that age. They're cramped and want to sit up more. If there's a lot of driving at the destination, then a convertible makes much more sense.
One must consider both height *and* weight limits when determining when to move from a bucket to a convertible and when to transition from rear-facing to forward-facing. Additionally, the top of the child's head needs to be 2" below the top of the shell of the seat when rear-facing. Some seats also have requirements on which slots the harness belt can be in when rear-facing vs. forward-facing.

Last edited by swise; Apr 22, 2014 at 12:16 am
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swise
I have to agree. If you can rear-face the Scenera, it is much more comfortable for the child, as they are more reclined for sleeping. There is a foot that adjusts for forward-facing that tilts the seat much more upright.

One must consider both height *and* weight limits when determining when to move from a bucket to a convertible and when to transition from rear-facing to forward-facing. Additionally, the top of the child's head needs to be 2" below the top of the shell of the seat when rear-facing. Some seats also have requirements on which slots the harness belt can be in when rear-facing vs. forward-facing.
Can you please remove reference to my post or at least my handle - I did not write that part - see above.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: United Plus
In another amusing development my post was edited by moderator of this forum (hopefully by mistake) with underlined part added.
"22 lb weight limit"?

also is there a reference for this rather bold statement?

Weird, I didn't underline anything! How did that happen??

It's also not misleading. Strange thing to say.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Erasmus
IME, quite the contrary. We've taken both our kids around the world in a Cosco Scenera. It does fit backwards--in every plane we've ever tried, including various flavors of regional jets. When it's backwards, any kicking the kid does is of his/her own seat. When forward-facing, kicking will inevitably be of the seat in front of them.

Now, it is true that in many coach cabins, pitch is sufficiently tight that it does deny the person in front the ability to recline, especially in the older style seats that recline into the space behind. (Many newer seats recline in place by sliding the seat bottom forward, so they do not encroach on the passenger behind.).....
Did you look at photo my post was referencing? It was quite clear that the backwards facing car seat was leaning against the seat in front, preventing it from reclining and causing every movement made by the child to be felt by the unfortunate PAX in front.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.