Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Best convertible car seat for taxi use and flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best convertible car seat for taxi use and flying

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
We have the Diono Radian. The big plus is that is is narrower than most car seats so easily fits into the narrowest airplane seats and you can leave the armrest down. It folds up nicely and has a nice travel bag. Another plus is that it can be used longer with bigger kids. It's got a slim profile, which keeps the child further back from the seat in front (no kicking). Our larger than average 2 year old (36" tall) could just barely reach the seat in front of him on a recent flight, and then flying back in Delta Economy Comfort (extra leg room), he couldn't' reach the seat.

Downside is that it is HEAVY! And I mean it's really heavy... I'm a moderately strong man in my 30's and I get sore/tired lugging it around the airport. We recently traveled without the bag, and that was a huge pain so definitely want the travel bag with it.

Last edited by roknroll; Jan 29, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
We use a Cosco Scenera for travel - it was cheap and it's light and easy to install. No frills, but we've found it perfect for use in planes, rental cars, and taxis. Haven't found an x-ray tunnel that it doesn't fit through. Haven't found a seat it doesn't fit into.

I also recommend this product which lets you wear it on your back like a backpack. I've made it across large hubs with the baby in one arm, carryon/diaper bag in the other, and car seat on my back. We don't use the bag to check the car seat - just for easy transport. (Only side note - the car seat in the bag doesn't fit through certain hand luggage x-ray tunnels. We have to remove the car seat from the bag at security and then put it back in).
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: United Plus
Much easier to just put it on a folding luggage cart! No needing to remove it from security. My back won't let me carry any car seat, especially not my Radian but on a luggage cart, it worked great.

I don't recommend buying the overpriced Gogo. It's basically the same thing but get a cart with a metal (not plastic) base.

Another plus with the luggage cart is that it's easier to stuff your carry-on bags on it. Also, if you don't take a stroller (I usually didn't), a toddler can ride in it when tired. Not as comfortable as a stroller but will work in a pinch for travel. Can't do that with that bulky bag!

The Radian is great forward-facing but can be tricky to rear-face. It's kind of tall. Personally, I feel that forward facing a child who meets the minimum to be a marginal safety compromise on the airplane. I can't recommend the Radian for smaller babies. An infant bucket-style seat is easier for travel. For the record, bravo if you're rear-facing your toddler. Parents have successfully forward-faced on the airplane and the child was fine going back to rear-facing in the car.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Much easier to just put it on a folding luggage cart! No needing to remove it from security. My back won't let me carry any car seat, especially not my Radian but on a luggage cart, it worked great.

I don't recommend buying the overpriced Gogo. It's basically the same thing but get a cart with a metal (not plastic) base.

Another plus with the luggage cart is that it's easier to stuff your carry-on bags on it. Also, if you don't take a stroller (I usually didn't), a toddler can ride in it when tired. Not as comfortable as a stroller but will work in a pinch for travel. Can't do that with that bulky bag!

The Radian is great forward-facing but can be tricky to rear-face. It's kind of tall. Personally, I feel that forward facing a child who meets the minimum to be a marginal safety compromise on the airplane. I can't recommend the Radian for smaller babies. An infant bucket-style seat is easier for travel. For the record, bravo if you're rear-facing your toddler. Parents have successfully forward-faced on the airplane and the child was fine going back to rear-facing in the car.
Yes, agreed on forward/rear facing. When we went to New York with our 6 month old, we brought the bucket style infant seat. When he was 1, we used the Radian forward facing on the plane. It's easier to put in, and it interferes less with the seat in front. When it was rear facing, it more or less prevented the seat in front of us from reclining, and I've seen this with other car seats as well.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:44 pm

The Nextfit is even heavier and more awkward to carry than the Radian.

The market for lightweight, easy to install seats are very limited. The Scenera is okay, but beware it is a major PIA in many vehicles. The Coccoro has some tricks to installing it. There's 3 different methods of installing it.

The other thing with the Radian is that it takes a LOT of space front to back, which creates lots of problems in cars if you want to rear face. Plus then you also have to worry about carrying the boot around which takes up space in your carry on.

Have you looked at the Safety 1st Guide 65? Relatively light, compact (relative to other car seats) and cheapish.

http://safety1st.djgusa.com/en/djgus...at-cc078bjb--1

The trick is to practice practice practice in multiple cars if possible. A car seat might install easily in one car and be totally incompatible with another. If you are going to be using it mostly in taxis or rentals, then I would definitely practice before hand.

For older kids 3 and up, the Ride Safer Travel Vest is a good idea.

Also, if you are traveling with a stroller, just put the car seat on the stroller. That's what I do. Gate check the stroller and carry the seat on board.

Last edited by CBear; Feb 4, 2014 at 12:50 pm Reason: added link
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, previously of CO.
We got the Coccoro and I love it. I had it shipped to my MIL's house where we were flying to and was able to practice installing it before we flew home. It fit perfectly rear facing in the extra leg room seats, I didn't even have to lift the arm rest. Was able to get it installed before they finished loading the luggage into the cab and we were on our way.

It should work for a while for us, my 1 year old is pretty small at almost 20lbs., just have to keep an eye on her height as she is 30 inches.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CARES seems to be the answer for us. We're on our second flight with it, and it is so much easier to lug around than a car seat. It just requires some car seat planning on each end.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:44 pm

We have a Cocorro, and it's all we've used since birth. We are car-free, so we've installed it in a dozen different relative's cars and cabs and on a few airplanes as well. I've clipped it directly to my carry-on and rolled it (with my child walking as it was not secured at the sides) with little effort. Flying alone with her was a wee bit crazy, but throwing everything on a luggage cart made it easier. Up until she was 2, I wore her through the airport in a Beco Gemini, though a more travel-oriented carrier would be a Boba Air. It just made getting through security and to our gate easier. I took her out as soon as we got there.

On the Cocorro though, it can be a pain to get good and tight, and we've resorted to a a pool noodle or rolled towel sometimes. It helps to get behind the seat and push it with your hips while tightening the straps. I look forward to graduating to the RideSafer Travel vest soon, and it should also get FAA approval fairly soon as well.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:34 am

I used a Cosco Scenera until it was outgrown, and am currently using the Evenflo SureRide, which is very light and has an excellent harness height.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:21 am

I love my Britax Marathon convertible car seat. I've been really happy with the quality of Britax over the years. It's rated well. I wish it was a little cheaper though.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jul 23, 2014 at 3:30 pm Reason: removed link
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:40 pm

We used a Cosco Scenera for two years. It's a great seat--lightweight and easy to install. Unfortunately my kid got too tall for it just before his third birthday.

We are now using an Evenflo Maestro. It's not terribly different (there are a couple of minor differences in the install), but can be used as a 5 point harness for kids up to 50" tall and then as a high backed booster after that. My kid is now 4 and >40lbs, so we switch off between that and the bubble bum inflatable booster for car rides.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 1.3MM till 1/31/2015 Bye Smissek, Delta Plat. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by 1sharpedge
This is the car seat that we bought for our daughter after she outgrew her baby one, we like it cause of it's folding seat base, kind of heavy but it's built very strong. http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-C...185898&sr=1-17

I'd vote for the Diono Radian as well. We have it for our 2.5 year old and it is a great well made car seat. We have used it backward and forward facing and have taken it on several flights and it installs relatively easily as long as you figure out which path to use for the aircraft seatbelt. . The seat does fold up and you can purchase a carry strap which makes it easy to lug through airports. However, I will warn you that it is heavy!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're now using the Go-Go Babyz with the Combi Coccoro, and I have to say that it straps on to the Go-Go as if they were made for each other - super easy and a good tight fit. We tried the metal luggage cart with strap route, but it was much more difficult to use and just made our travel that much more difficult because the seat didn't quite fit on it correctly. Now we'll see if I can actually strap the thing in on an airplane seat - something that has vexed me in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.