Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Checked stroller in an oversized bag: How will US Air & United react?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50

Hello all,

Searched around but couldn't find this specific discussion. Can anyone comment on their experience checking a stroller on either/both airlines?

I'm flying TATL next week on US Airways and returning on United. I'm *G and we're in business both ways. We're thinking of bringing a full-sized Bugaboo instead of the McLaren for our four-month old. Given tight connections I'd rather luggage check (not gate check) the stroller and just Bjorn her through the airports.

I can fit the stroller into a large duffle bag, but it exceeds the max. 62 inches. I called both airlines: US Air said it's no problem since the stroller doesn't have a size restriction, and United said there would be a $200 oversize charge. Neither agent sounded like they really knew what they were talking about.

Can anyone provide feedback on luggage checking large strollers on US Airways and United? Thanks!

Last edited by FrequentFlyerYYZ; Nov 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:21 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
I realize this isn't directly answering your question, but what's your reasoning behind bringing the Bugaboo? Honestly, unless it's a hand-me-down Bugaboo, I'd much rather risk a $130 MacLaren getting damaged than a $600-$1000 Bugaboo. If the child has a "typical" bucket car seat, I'd suggest spending $60 for a snap-n-go frame, which turns the car seat into a stroller. My guess is that the snap-n-go is less than the max dimensions for "standard" luggage.

As for the airlines charging you for checking a stroller, I thought a stroller was always given a free pass, regardless of whether it was in a protective bag or not, and regardless of size.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by icedancer
I realize this isn't directly answering your question, but what's your reasoning behind bringing the Bugaboo?

As for the airlines charging you for checking a stroller, I thought a stroller was always given a free pass, regardless of whether it was in a protective bag or not, and regardless of size.
Thanks for the reply. Not really worried about the compact vs. full sized debate - I've done both so know the pros and cons.

I assume the same re: oversized but the United agent's comments seemed wrong.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: US Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premium
Just to be on the safe side, print out any information from the airline website in case you encounter an agent who wants to charge a fee. I found the following:

USair:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

United:
https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...ge/infant.aspx

I have traveled a lot with my daughter oversees and I have been so happy with our umbrella stroller. We did the snap and go when we went to Asia and needed our car seat (and she had her own seat). The only time we have a full sized bugaboo was when family lent us theirs in Spain. It was nice but we would have been fine with the umbrella stroller we brought. Just remember that the stroller might arrive a bit banged up during the flight and baggage handling. Keep that in mind if you don't have options to buy a stroller immediately upon arriving at your destination.

Safe travels!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I concur with the above posters on both points: you should not be charged a fee to check a stroller, regardless of size. I also think you're crazy to put a stroller of that quality/price in checked luggage unless you're going for months on end. We've done significant international travel with a BoB, but always gate checked it to avoid the worst of baggage handling.

IMHO, odds on it will get damaged if you check it. YMMV.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:54 pm

We checked and used the bugaboo with infant in Africa, US, Europe (years back) and never a problem checking or with damage. If you use the travel bag you won't have a problem. Price is relative - nice women's boots cost the same I've been told.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by erik123
We checked and used the bugaboo with infant in Africa, US, Europe (years back) and never a problem checking or with damage. If you use the travel bag you won't have a problem. Price is relative - nice women's boots cost the same I've been told.
That's great, but your experience is no guarantee that a stroller won't be damaged! Luggage gets damaged every day; even strollers in travel bags.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not check a stroller at the counter. Wait and "gate check" at the gate. It will be specially tagged, loaded last and brought back to you at the arrival gate. Not only is it treated better, but you will have the use of it literally to/from the cabin door.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
But I think the OP is concerned about the time it would take to retrieve and set up the stroller from gate checking due to tight connections. So, conditional on having to counter-check it, what should the OP do?

I'm sympathetic to the OP's concerns. Generally, the retrieval is fast, but I've been in some places where t's been slow, slow, slow... one time, I was waiting for so long, the pilot himself went down to see where it was...
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
United and USAirways are unlikely to make a fuss about this at check-in, but they may make you sign a waiver for damage when the stroller is not boxed.

Originally Posted by Often1
Do not check a stroller at the counter. Wait and "gate check" at the gate. It will be specially tagged, loaded last and brought back to you at the arrival gate. Not only is it treated better, but you will have the use of it literally to/from the cabin door.
Some strollers are not allowed for gate-checking.

A properly boxed stroller checked-in at the check-in counter as checked luggage is in a much better position of having a longer life than even gate-checked strollers that aren't boxed.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A properly boxed stroller checked-in at the check-in counter as checked luggage is in a much better position of having a longer life than even gate-checked strollers that aren't boxed.
True, but a proper box for a stroller of that scale is huge and clunky to transport to/from the airport.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Erasmus
True, but a proper box for a stroller of that scale is huge and clunky to transport to/from the airport.
Well, I would have assumed that most people traveling with such a big stroller probably have a car -- rental or otherwise -- available on the trip. An un-/dis-assembled box and some heavy-duty tape can be put together easily/quickly at the airport.

I know people who travel with the following brand of strollers internationally: http://popular.ebay.com/misc-e-j/emmaljunga.htm and the Danish-sold versions of those Swedish strollers are about as big as any strollers come.

I wouldn't recommend it -- since someone has to watch the child(ren) while doing it -- but if you are going to take a high-value stroller for travel and want reduced odds of damage, boxing it tends to be the best thing to do. Boxing it at the gate -- or leaving it unboxed -- is just asking for increased odds of trouble -- at least compared to boxing it in at or before check-in and not wanting to get stuck on arrival at the destination making a (perhaps futile) claim about the stroller not being functional.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 14, 2013 at 4:25 am
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by GUWonder
United and USAirways are unlikely to make a fuss about this at check-in, but they may make you sign a waiver for damage when the stroller is not boxed.
IME, yes, they will. But, they won't accept responsibility for damage to a stroller, no matter how it's checked:

United accepts one stroller and one car seat free of charge as checked baggage. United is not liable for damage to strollers. Customers cannot purchase excess valuation for strollers.
Note: United will check strollers at the departure gate.

I personally would bring the cheapest stroller that would work.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
IME, yes, they will. But, they won't accept responsibility for damage to a stroller, no matter how it's checked:

United accepts one stroller and one car seat free of charge as checked baggage. United is not liable for damage to strollers. Customers cannot purchase excess valuation for strollers.
Note: United will check strollers at the departure gate.

I personally would bring the cheapest stroller that would work.
Legally, United is liable for damage to checked-in strollers on at least international itineraries covered by the relevant Montreal Convention.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:35 pm

If you are going to travel with a bugaboo you really need to pack it in their travel bag. If you do not you will have issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.