Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

What trip would you do with 3 months off and a 6 month old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What trip would you do with 3 months off and a 6 month old?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
The Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light is the best travel crib options I have looked at. Phil and Ted's bases their design off of it, but P&T requires assembly, whereas the Baby Bjorn just needs to be unfolded. It sets up in literally seconds. Also, the Baby Bjorn is Oeko Tex certified, meaning the fabrics and materials are considered safe. Ours has been on countless trips. My younger son is sleeping in it right now, as a matter of fact, as we are moving to a new house in the morning.

There are now lots of other options, including a couple that are inflatable. While the inflatable ones are more compact, I would worry about a leak rendering them unusable. Also, I'd worry about offgassing.

We did a combination of co-sleeping and room-sharing, until the babies became sensitive to my husband's loud snoring and teeth grinding. So co-sleeping is definitely nice for traveling.

Also, around that age, babies really start interacting with their world, and this can make nursing while out challenging. As much as I would like to sit at a table in a restaurant or on a bus or whatever and nurse, both of my boys would never nurse well with so much activity going on around them. They'd either pop on and pop off repeatedly or they would just not want to latch. From what I have read this is fairly typical. Nursing in a carrier helps a bit. But you may find that what you really need is a quiet spot with few distractions. Often there's a good spot when you're out, but other times, I have preferred snuggling up in the car or at home. Kind of a bummer, but not a huge deal.

I can recommend the Out Islands that are part of the Bahamas: The Abacos, The Exumas, Eleuthera, etc. We spent a month in the Abacos and really liked it. This would be more of a "disconnect from everything" option, as there is not a lot besides beach, boats, water and conch. But sometimes it's good to zen out and take in a simple landscape. Also, they're only an hour flight from Miami.

As for strollers, it can be handy in some places or a burden. It also depends on the kid. Some kids love being in a carrier, and others not so much. Sometimes it depends on the carrier and the kid. The Maclaren Volo previously suggested gets good reviews. We have the Uppababy G-Lite and like it a lot, too. Definitely stick with something light, like under 10 lbs.

We use two Briggs and Riley rolling duffels for our luggage. Works great. They compress down to fit under a bed.

What a great opportunity! Enjoy!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swise
The Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light is the best travel crib options I have looked at. Phil and Ted's bases their design off of it, but P&T requires assembly, whereas the Baby Bjorn just needs to be unfolded. It sets up in literally seconds. Also, the Baby Bjorn is Oeko Tex certified, meaning the fabrics and materials are considered safe. Ours has been on countless trips. My younger son is sleeping in it right now, as a matter of fact, as we are moving to a new house in the morning.

There are now lots of other options, including a couple that are inflatable. While the inflatable ones are more compact, I would worry about a leak rendering them unusable. Also, I'd worry about offgassing.

We did a combination of co-sleeping and room-sharing, until the babies became sensitive to my husband's loud snoring and teeth grinding. So co-sleeping is definitely nice for traveling.

Also, around that age, babies really start interacting with their world, and this can make nursing while out challenging. As much as I would like to sit at a table in a restaurant or on a bus or whatever and nurse, both of my boys would never nurse well with so much activity going on around them. They'd either pop on and pop off repeatedly or they would just not want to latch. From what I have read this is fairly typical. Nursing in a carrier helps a bit. But you may find that what you really need is a quiet spot with few distractions. Often there's a good spot when you're out, but other times, I have preferred snuggling up in the car or at home. Kind of a bummer, but not a huge deal.

I can recommend the Out Islands that are part of the Bahamas: The Abacos, The Exumas, Eleuthera, etc. We spent a month in the Abacos and really liked it. This would be more of a "disconnect from everything" option, as there is not a lot besides beach, boats, water and conch. But sometimes it's good to zen out and take in a simple landscape. Also, they're only an hour flight from Miami.

As for strollers, it can be handy in some places or a burden. It also depends on the kid. Some kids love being in a carrier, and others not so much. Sometimes it depends on the carrier and the kid. The Maclaren Volo previously suggested gets good reviews. We have the Uppababy G-Lite and like it a lot, too. Definitely stick with something light, like under 10 lbs.

We use two Briggs and Riley rolling duffels for our luggage. Works great. They compress down to fit under a bed.

What a great opportunity! Enjoy!

We have used the Baby Bjorn Travel Crib Light for about a year and just love it. The downside is that it is a bit on the bulky side (though no more than most pack-n-plays). But we find that using the familiar crib in an unfamiliar place acts as a sort of anchor for our 16 month old. It's familiar, and she knows that it's time to go to sleep when we put her in there.

In terms of strollers, we still use our Snap-N-Go with the infant bucket seat, which I think is one of the easiest systems for travel once you get used to it. The carrier makes me too warm (but I run hot) and she won't sleep in our arms or a carrier, but she will sleep in her bucket. Most 16 month olds are too big for a bucket and Snap-N-Go, but the three to six month range should not be an issue.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
Thanks guys. travel cots were next on our list. We thought that the baby Bjorn had the edge.

We're looking to duplicate the travel cot arrangements in two places (the inlaws) in Europe as well in order to create consistency. Since we travel fairly frequently, we're quite happy to have duplicates and additionally there are numerous younger siblings on both sides so we're sure they will find a good home/get used.

Assume we'll try one, make sure the baby likes it and then pick up two for the parents places.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Since it sits on the floor, it can take a little practice to get the baby in it easily, but once you have the hang of it it's fine.

Not sure if this trick will work for others, but I find slipping my feet under the mattress inches me a little closer and makes it easier to bend over and dump the baby inside without waking him. Not exactly sure why this is easier, but it is, so there you have it.

Also, I think the instructions say to put the crib in the case with the middle part down. But if you insert it with the ends down in the bottom of the case, the outer bar that runs along the top of the crib forms a U-shape and leaves room for you to put other items inside.

I put in a night light, 2 sheets, as many baby wipes packages as will fit (3-4 usually), and, at various times, a small set of iPod speakers and an iPod, the video baby monitor, and a fleece blanket. It can hold a lot of extra stuff! Since it is so light, adding heavy stuff like baby wipes can help to keep the bigger luggage under the 50 lb weight limit.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
I thought I'd just report back with some feedback having done 46 flights over the last 14 months across 4 continents:

- Baby Bjorn travelcot is excellent. light, baby loves it and is very fast to put up.
- Breast feeding is far easier than bottles when travelling and reduces things that you need to carry.
- Having previously used hand luggage on 3 week multi-continent trips you will move to travelling like a Kardashian once you have a child due to spare clothes nappies etc. Embrace this as once you check one bag, you might as well check two.
- Bugaboo travel case is excellent and provides peace of mind (it effectively acts as bugaboo insurance). Once wrapped you can also stuff the carrier with blankets, toys, etc in order to maximise baggage charges.
- We prefer a sling to a baby carrier.
- Day flights with kids >10 months old over 5 hours are a nightmare. Avoid at all costs.
- Keep toys and games simple and travel with a consistent bunch of books, teddies and clothes.
- Try to book flights around your normal baby routine - bath, change, fly.
- Babies under 6m do not get jet lagged - they just sleep constantly so no big shakes. 6-18 months, becomes harder as they drop naps.
- Babies> 12m are unlikely to fit into airline provided carry cots.
- Carry an extra bottle for take-off landing. Whilst you may not want to encourage an extra feed etc during the day, its a one off so just man-up and let the baby suckle to help with the pressure changes.
- Do an online shopping order to your destination with essentials and bulky items ahead of your arrival.

Bottom line is most things are do-able and enjoyable the big change has been that you can't head to malaria risk countries/regions.

Best of luck!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:19 am

Glad to hear it.

I had to laugh at the Kardashian comment.

The "stuffing of the stroller bag" trick is one of my favorites. My son had very sensitive skin and we stuck with one brand of diapers and wipes and I would stuff two weeks worth in our stroller bag.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Byrneand
- Do an online shopping order to your destination with essentials and bulky items ahead of your arrival.
This is a great idea, and something I never really thought about!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.