Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Kicked off flight due to toddler crying caused by US Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kicked off flight due to toddler crying caused by US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
Then it sounds like, regardless of what the poster understands about toddlers, he was correct in supporting the airline's decision to remove this family.
I didn't read the post as supporting the decision to offload this family, but that's not really the issue I was posting about. Anyone who suggests that a toddler in the middle of a tantrum can or should be reasoned with clearly doesn't understand toddlers.

This is certainly an unusual case. I suspected that the OP's post was inaccurate when this was first posted, but US Air's response in the linked article makes it sound like it was accurate. Crews conduct safety demonstrations while children cry all the time, so this must have been quite some crying, or perhaps there is something else going on here.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:00 pm

I actually have 6 children of my own. What caught my attention was when the poster said, "the minute my son heard we would have to get off the plane, he stopped crying" (not an exact quote). It did not make sense that the child could suddenly control himself.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crossc
I actually have 6 children of my own. What caught my attention was when the poster said, "the minute my son heard we would have to get off the plane, he stopped crying" (not an exact quote). It did not make sense that the child could suddenly control himself.
The OP wrote

When we were kicked off, my son immediately stopped his tantrum but we were told it was too late.
I interpreted that as the child stopping the tantrum upon the change in scenery. You're right that it doesn't make a lot of sense if it happened on board, but even if it did, I'm not sure I would say that this is evidence that the parent had any control over the crying.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by rjque
The OP wrote

I interpreted that as the child stopping the tantrum upon the change in scenery. You're right that it doesn't make a lot of sense if it happened on board, but even if it did, I'm not sure I would say that this is evidence that the parent had any control over the crying.
Last time I checked it was still called US Airways and not US Nannys, so if you cannot control your offspring that may be reason for intervention, even if unloading a family is a severe intervention). However can the safety video not be played I actually think unloading is reasonable. Parents do, at least they did when I was a child, have the responsibility to ensure their kids can travel.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by theddo
Last time I checked it was still called US Airways and not US Nannys, so if you cannot control your offspring that may be reason for intervention, even if unloading a family is a severe intervention). However can the safety video not be played I actually think unloading is reasonable. Parents do, at least they did when I was a child, have the responsibility to ensure their kids can travel.
According to post #1, the kid was strapped into a car seat, how much more "control" do you want?

The OP acknowledges the child was began making noise, i.e. "tantrum," after the flight attendants moved him and his seat to another row - maybe the FA's precipitated the problem by the way they approached the child? However, if making excessive noise is now a criteria for offloading people, the airline needs to be consistent and start offloading loudmouthed adults, too. You know, the ones shouting into their cell phones long after being told to shut them off...

Offloading should be reserved for those whose actions endanger, not annoy, the other people and the aircraft.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:44 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Menace to Sobriety
http://consumerist.com/2013/08/02/ar...ays-thinks-so/

At which airport did this happen? In the quoted article, you state that you had to wait 2 hours in a hot terminal for your husband to pick you up, yet here you state that he had a gate pass and was at the gate. There are some inconsistencies here.
Also the OP stated that a flight attendant grabbed at their child while in the car seat, whereas in the article this changed to a passenger picking them up while she was configuring the car seat..

As well stating they were denied travel that day, then later stating they were offered free of charge to be put on the next flight or a full refund (which was left out of the article..), although the airline states they refunded their ticket in full.

OP here states they tried to book a US Airways ticket the next day, whereas in the article they say they did not want to go on US and booked another carrier.

Doubt we'll hear from them again though.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Offloading should be reserved for those whose actions endanger, not annoy, the other people and the aircraft.
Agreed, and I think that no airline is going to want to take a delay to offload unless there is some real safety issue. That leads me to believe that this was not just the run of the mill tantrum, or that the parent's behavior was partially responsible for the offload.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by nux
Also the OP stated that a flight attendant grabbed at their child while in the car seat, whereas in the article this changed to a passenger picking them up while she was configuring the car seat..
I don't know that it would be possible to pick up a child of that age, strapped into a 5 point harness, in such a confined space.

ETA - Ok, now I read the article and see that she changed her story to a passenger picking up her child.

Hot airport? Surely it had AC?

I am a parent that flies a couple of times a year with our son, starting as infant so I am not without sympathy but I do wonder how much of the mother's behavior played into the off-loading.

I have seen parents lose their ability to process information on planes. I witnessed an incident where parents tried to use some bizarre square bucket (for lack of a better term) to hold their infant (est. age 10-12 mo.) in a middle seat. The FAs repeatedly told them they could not use the bucket and even it is was FAA approved, it could not go in the middle seat.

This went on and on and on (we were seated two rows behind) until the surrounding passengers got irritated and started in on the couple to remove the bucket. This was a flight to STT and the fellow passengers where simply NOT tolerating any b.s. that would delay their vacation.

At that point, the FAs got the captain who marched back and said something along the lines of "remove that baby bucket/carrier or the three of you will be getting off this plane."

They decided to gate check the carrier.

Last edited by Lovethecabin; Aug 7, 2013 at 10:45 am
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:00 pm

Wow, some of you members are harsh!

I've flown with small kids. It is no walk in the park. And the pressure to try to keep kids as well behaved as possible is also hard. It's made us avoid trips where we have to fly long distances. But sometimes you have circumstances where it can't be avoided, such as a family emergency.

I too might have been skeptical years ago about this story. But on Allegiant Air, we had an experience two years ago where I was nursing our baby on the plane. We had paid to check all our luggage so that we would have more space, paid for assigned seats, etc. In order to have more room for nursing, we put a laptop bag in the overhead. The flight attendant said the overhead was only for roller bags, and when my husband tried to explain that we had no other bags and just wanted to put that one up there for more space, she took the bag out of the overhead and threw it at him. She then started yelling, "You're not in control here. I'm in control!" The other passengers were staring, dumbfounded at her. She yelled for us to get off the plane. Other passengers were protesting. We stayed completely calm and resisted the urge to yell back or get excited. When we got off the plane, the security person looked shocked when he saw how calm and harmless we looked (who knows what she told him was going on). The security personnel talked to the pilot and they overrode the flight attendant and told her we were going back on board.

Ironically when we got back on the plane, the only seats left were bulkhead (where you can't store luggage under your seat). My husband just handed her the laptop bag to stow above. She didn't say a word to us for the rest of the flight.

But yes, flight attendants can have bad days like everyone else. That is the only bad experience we have ever had on a plane, but it did amaze me that a flight attendant has so much unchecked power that can be abused. It did make for a good story.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

US Airways response

from Customer Relations:

"Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. As we discussed, we did receive a report from the flight attendants and I was advised that you were moved due to airbag safety requirements on the aircraft. US Airways has retrofitted most of these planes with airbags in the bulkhead seats. The flight attendant mistakenly assumed the aircraft had airbags which would prohibit car seats for safety reasons. After you were moved the flight attendant realized her mistake; in that this aircraft had not yet been retrofitted; however, by this time your children could not be calmed.

As you were advised, our agents must also discern between situations reasonably resolved and incidents which may escalate once in the air. When there is any question as to a passenger's behavior, the Captain has the authority to deny travel. We have an obligation to all our customers to provide them with professional service carried out in a safe, secure environment and able to hear all safety announcements. The decision to deny you boarding was in accordance with Tariff Rule 35, based solely on the behavior your children displayed, the crew felt they were interfering with the safety of the aircraft. "
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by jlh9s
Wow, some of you members are harsh!

I've flown with small kids. It is no walk in the park. And the pressure to try to keep kids as well behaved as possible is also hard. It's made us avoid trips where we have to fly long distances. But sometimes you have circumstances where it can't be avoided, such as a family emergency.

I too might have been skeptical years ago about this story. But on Allegiant Air, we had an experience two years ago where I was nursing our baby on the plane. We had paid to check all our luggage so that we would have more space, paid for assigned seats, etc. In order to have more room for nursing, we put a laptop bag in the overhead. The flight attendant said the overhead was only for roller bags, and when my husband tried to explain that we had no other bags and just wanted to put that one up there for more space, she took the bag out of the overhead and threw it at him. She then started yelling, "You're not in control here. I'm in control!" The other passengers were staring, dumbfounded at her. She yelled for us to get off the plane. Other passengers were protesting. We stayed completely calm and resisted the urge to yell back or get excited. When we got off the plane, the security person looked shocked when he saw how calm and harmless we looked (who knows what she told him was going on). The security personnel talked to the pilot and they overrode the flight attendant and told her we were going back on board.

Ironically when we got back on the plane, the only seats left were bulkhead (where you can't store luggage under your seat). My husband just handed her the laptop bag to stow above. She didn't say a word to us for the rest of the flight.

But yes, flight attendants can have bad days like everyone else. That is the only bad experience we have ever had on a plane, but it did amaze me that a flight attendant has so much unchecked power that can be abused. It did make for a good story.
yes everyone can have a bad day

BUT on this occasion the FA did not just have a bad day more like a near breakdown there may well have been reasons for this but that sort of behaviour in the service industry cant be acceptable
if this had happened whilst dealing with unreasonable customers then I can understand it but dealing with reasonable people as you appear to have been is totally out of order
I am not the sort to shout compensation compensation compensation but on that occasion I would have been looking for a written apology and some sort of compensation for the incident
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crosscountrytravlr
from Customer Relations:

"Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. As we discussed, we did receive a report from the flight attendants and I was advised that you were moved due to airbag safety requirements on the aircraft. US Airways has retrofitted most of these planes with airbags in the bulkhead seats. The flight attendant mistakenly assumed the aircraft had airbags which would prohibit car seats for safety reasons. After you were moved the flight attendant realized her mistake; in that this aircraft had not yet been retrofitted; however, by this time your children could not be calmed.

As you were advised, our agents must also discern between situations reasonably resolved and incidents which may escalate once in the air. When there is any question as to a passenger's behavior, the Captain has the authority to deny travel. We have an obligation to all our customers to provide them with professional service carried out in a safe, secure environment and able to hear all safety announcements. The decision to deny you boarding was in accordance with Tariff Rule 35, based solely on the behavior your children displayed, the crew felt they were interfering with the safety of the aircraft. "
Well, that takes care of my speculation that your behavior had something to do with this. Must have been some tantrum!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
yes everyone can have a bad day

BUT on this occasion the FA did not just have a bad day more like a near breakdown there may well have been reasons for this but that sort of behaviour in the service industry cant be acceptable
if this had happened whilst dealing with unreasonable customers then I can understand it but dealing with reasonable people as you appear to have been is totally out of order
I am not the sort to shout compensation compensation compensation but on that occasion I would have been looking for a written apology and some sort of compensation for the incident
I meant afterwards to write a letter to the airline with the TA's name. Not because I wanted any compensation (after all, we got on the flight, and ultimately it was just a very bizarre incident), but I figured if she had a breakdown with someone else, it would probably be a good thing to put in her file. But kids and time, and all else intervened, and we never got around to it. Still, I figure either it was an isolated incident - maybe she had some horrible family news that morning - or else her personality is just like that, in which case I am sure someone else will have written in a complaint by now.

I was just surprised to learn afterwards that there are very few limitations on a TA's ability to kick a passenger off a flight, and almost nothing the airline owes the passenger in turn.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
According to post #1, the kid was strapped into a car seat, how much more "control" do you want?

The OP acknowledges the child was began making noise, i.e. "tantrum," after the flight attendants moved him and his seat to another row - maybe the FA's precipitated the problem by the way they approached the child? However, if making excessive noise is now a criteria for offloading people, the airline needs to be consistent and start offloading loudmouthed adults, too. You know, the ones shouting into their cell phones long after being told to shut them off...

Which was why I stated that only after the disturbance became à safety issue should the unloading begin.

Adults using their phones are offloaded, there's a video of that on here from a couple of months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.