Infant and Pre Check

Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Infant and Pre Check

Does anyone have experience traveling with a baby through Pre-Check? According to the TSA's site companions 12 and under are eligible. We are about to take our first flight with our son (4 months).

I'm thinking a good strategy will be to send me and the baby through Pre with all the baby supplies (milk, bottles, etc), and let my wife go through the regular, rather than both of us go through the full screening. Any thoughts?

If it matters, we will be flying out of ATL and AUS on DL (both listed as Pre airports).
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Yes, I've flown with my infant (she was 9 weeks at the time) via Pre Check. It was a great benefit. However, if both of you don't have Pre Check, depending on lines, you might appreciate having you both go thru full screening. I did this on my outbound flight since I was with a buddy who could help with all the bags, car seat, stroller, etc. I did end up getting the extra pat-down (grrr) but did like his help. Yet, when I did Pre Check by myself it was easy peasy. Whatever your wife is more comfortable with
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
As the previous poster pointed out, TSA Pre will let you go with children. However, all adults in the party have to be Pre-approved. My wife and I often get snarky looks when we take our family of four through the Pre line, though.

IMHO, in your case I'd just all stick together in the family line since you'll be allowed to pass through the metal detector while traveling with an infant anyway, and the more hands to help with the bags, the better. And taking the fluids, etc., through Pre defeats most of the benefits.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Erasmus
And taking the fluids, etc., through Pre defeats most of the benefits.
They didn't actually scan my fluids at RDU.

I'm flying with her again on the 14th via LAX. We'll see if we have to scan the liquids or not (assuming I'm cleared for Precheck - but since I'm on a 1-way tix we'll see)
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Thanks - I'll talk it over with the wife. Either way we'll be able to access the Sky Priority lines, but sometimes at ATL they are longer than the regular ones. We are flying on non-business travel days though, so maybe they won't be too bad.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Also make sure that the infant is linked to the person with PreCheck. They will want to see the infant listed on the boarding pass. When I make our reservations and call in to add our infant as a lap child, they tend to link the baby with my wife.

PreCheck with the baby would definitely be nice, as it can be hard to gather and repack all of the supplies with a baby in tow. With PreCheck, you won't have to deal with shoes, laptop, liquids in bags, etc. Assuming you have a stroller, send it through first followed by the bags. On the other side you can unfold the stroller and secure the baby first while the other items are still coming through.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I regularly clear with my infant and it's way, way easier than clearing the regular line. Dealing with shoes/laptop/belt/jacket/ziplock and holding a baby is no fun.

My husband sometimes travels with me and twice now he has not been eligible for PreCheck with me and my daughter. I always carry my daughter through the PreCheck line and send my husband through the regular line. I've got clearing down to a science now, and with PreCheck I can usually get through and to the front of the line at Starbucks before my husband even has his shoes back on.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by roknroll
Also make sure that the infant is linked to the person with PreCheck. They will want to see the infant listed on the boarding pass. When I make our reservations and call in to add our infant as a lap child, they tend to link the baby with my wife.

PreCheck with the baby would definitely be nice, as it can be hard to gather and repack all of the supplies with a baby in tow. With PreCheck, you won't have to deal with shoes, laptop, liquids in bags, etc. Assuming you have a stroller, send it through first followed by the bags. On the other side you can unfold the stroller and secure the baby first while the other items are still coming through.
You are assuming PreCheck LLL screening is the outcome, which is not necessarily certain. Sometimes PreCheck doesn't result in LLL screening that allows you to keep on/in laces/laptops/liquids; and sometimes PreCheck LLL is switched off or for some other reason not allowed to be applied.

A lot of people who are enrolled in the PreCheck nonsense don't always get the LLL type screening. And some infants with unique names and birth date are even denied PreCheck LLL despite being enrolled in GE and having done all of "trusted traveler" nonsense with the operating airline too.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Just a side note - if you have Pre through a trusted traveler program - note that when you are entering the country, the infant would need to be a member to go through with you. (This is one difference between pre and Global Entry)
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
And some infants with unique names and birth date are even denied PreCheck LLL despite being enrolled in GE and having done all of "trusted traveler" nonsense with the operating airline too.
Just a quick question: has anyone actually enrolled their child in GE? I've considered it, as it would make life easier for our family when returning from vacations, but obviously we only do that a few times a year, and I was wondering whether the TSA would have a fit when I brought in an infant who couldn't even speak to their "interview."
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:01 am

Just a quick question: has anyone actually enrolled their child in GE? I've considered it, as it would make life easier for our family when returning from vacations, but obviously we only do that a few times a year, and I was wondering whether the TSA would have a fit when I brought in an infant who couldn't even speak to their "interview."
I've signed up the whole family with GE but they are older.

I believe there is no indicated minimum - but your kid will have to be able to get fingerprinted (not that hard I think) when you go for your interview. If you do that and it doesn't work entering the country you will be able to skip the lines in most cases (you'll be diverted to closest available immigration officer.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:07 am

I believe there is no indicated minimum - but your kid will have to be able to get fingerprinted (not that hard I think) when you go for your interview. If you do that and it doesn't work entering the country you will be able to skip the lines in most cases (you'll be diverted to closest available immigration officer.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Yup - we brought our few-month-old (at the time) for GE interview. No issues at all, other than because getting the fingerprint scan may be a bit tough, you'll probably end up getting an "x" on the baby's paper slip during the GE process. Just a quick visit to the nearby window and you're on your way.

Note that the GE interview is not with TSA, but with CBP.

TSA often is surprised when the baby's boarding pass gives three beeps.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by erik123

For infants, the fingerprinting is required? Check this out too:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/points...try-interview/

Infants and other young children don't electronically fingerprint as well as adults as a result of the size of their little fingerprints.

It's CBP that does the GE interview -- no TSA involved there, thankfully.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 6, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For infants, the fingerprinting is required? Check this out too:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/points...try-interview/

Infants and other young children don't electronically fingerprint as well as adults as a result of the size of their little fingerprints.

It's CBP that does the GE interview -- no TSA involved there, thankfully.
I believe yes - another thread mentions a parent going in to fingerprint their infant kid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.