Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

What's the furthest or longest trip you have ever taken with an infant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the furthest or longest trip you have ever taken with an infant

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Compared to some, MiniNKEdel(*) hasn't traveled very far as of 5 1/2 months -- just two transcons -- but she handled it very well. Not a peep out of her on the first flight SJC-LAX, or the return return JFK-SFO... a few minutes of fussiness LAX-JFK but for a ~5 hour flight that's not bad.

We paid for a seat, and the 3-across seating in the center of the 767s are great for that. Both MrsNKEdel and I were able to look after her equally, and aisle access on both sides really helped. On the way back (we had to change plans) the only flight where we could get a row of three was an extra-legroom ("MCE" in AA-speak) bulkhead and we were a bit worried about the car-seat (Britax B-safe) fitting but luckily it did and we were able to get on early enough to be assured of overhead space for all the baby accoutrements -- probably to the annoyance of any EXP on the flight, they had a single call for executive platinum and platinum.

More transcons are likely given family health issues and the need to see people, but MrsNKedel is rather adamant about getting the last of the critical shots at about a year before she comes along on more interesting international travel.

(* rather literally; she and I share the initials.)
Old May 19, 2013, 7:55 pm

YWG-ORD-ZRH(stop) trains to VIE-DXB(stop)-HKG-AKL(stop)-HNL(stop)-LAX-YYC-YWG

8-9 months old. He did unbelievably well. Two overnight flights in J, one daytime flight in F, and he was a champ.

about to go around the other way in F. Not concerned in the least (he'll be 18 months now).

He's happier on airplanes than at home...
Old May 20, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: Uh, I think I got an extra packet of peanuts once.
Round-trip Istanbul to Rome when I was almost 7 mos. pregnant. A one-and-a-half hour plane ride from Yalova to Ankara and a bumpy 45 minute bus ride to Ankara the day before giving birth (I imagine the first two events had a lot to do with the second event, which wasn't expected for a week yet). The same 45-minute bumpy bus ride and a terrible stormy one-and-a-half-hour plane ride home from the hospital in Ankara to Yalova with a 7-day-old (felt like 24 hours, at least...). A 36-hour journey with the same baby, now 4 months old (ferry from Yalova to Istanbul, taxi to airport, flight from Istanbul to Frankfurt, plane change, flight from Frankfurt to London, plane change, flight from London to JFK, plane change, flight from JFK to Chicago, plane change, flight from Chicago to Indianapolis....ahhhh...hand off baby to grandparents and sleep for 24 hours straight). Repeat same itinerary in the opposite direction a month later (no Chicago leg but did had to fly from Indy to LaGuardia and transfer from LaGuardia to JFK. Back to the US for good on the same route a year later. Flying seemed to make a good impression on my daughter as she started flying unaccompanied when she was 5 and became an airline employee at 16.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by tbuff
YWG-ORD-ZRH(stop) trains to VIE-DXB(stop)-HKG-AKL(stop)-HNL(stop)-LAX-YYC-YWG

8-9 months old. He did unbelievably well. Two overnight flights in J, one daytime flight in F, and he was a champ.

about to go around the other way in F. Not concerned in the least (he'll be 18 months now).

He's happier on airplanes than at home...
Not to burst your bubble, but kids are, in general, much more difficult to travel with at 18mos than 9mos. Good luck to you, and the others in the F cabin!
Old May 21, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Not to burst your bubble, but kids are, in general, much more difficult to travel with at 18mos than 9mos. Good luck to you, and the others in the F cabin!
Amen. 17 months was when we had our one "flight from hell." They are too young to be distracted for long periods, but really strong and mobile at that age. I try to avoid the 12-20 month window as much as possible. You'll see improvement as you approach the second birthday, as most kids will start being able to watch an iPad or DVD at that age and you might be able to start doing a little discipline (that is actually occasionally effective).
Old May 21, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
We did SJC-OGG (5ish hours) with our son right at 6 months. A month later we did SFO-JFK. Had him as a lap child to Hawaii and car seat to NYC. Both were easy. Then we did SFO-CDG-BCN just before he was 1 and that was a little tougher as he was more mobile and super distracted by everything around him.

At 6 months they tend to fall asleep easy while nursing/feeding them. We'd wait until the wheels were off the grond, then either nurse or give him a bottle and he'd usually be asleep by the time we hit crusing altitude. FA announcements were always maddening, as they would go on for minutes explaining the drink/food options just after our son fell asleep.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl

4-6 months is really the ideal time to travel with a baby. Post-newborn stage, sleeping and eating better, alert but not yet crawling, and s/he doesn't need food yet. Diaper gear, car seat, bottle stuff if you formula-feed, a good baby carrier (avoid front packs) and perhaps a toy or two, and you're set to go!
What is the advantage of back packs over front? We need to buy one for our Bali trip. So far we borrowed a front pack to try it out and soon as she got it she spit up!
Old May 22, 2013, 12:54 pm

I had a carrier that could be used front or back (the BabyTrekker).

Back carries are easier, physically speaking. The weight is better distributed, you can bend down more easily, you can do stuff with your hands in front of you (like pull cash out of your wallet in a store) without a large lump of offspring in your way.

The biggest disadvantage from my point of view is you can't see your kid. If the kid can't talk yet and someone in a crowd bops them with a backpack, you have no idea what's going on. I never felt comfortable taking my kid in a back carry on public transit for that reason.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by awardticket
What is the advantage of back packs over front? We need to buy one for our Bali trip. So far we borrowed a front pack to try it out and soon as she got it she spit up!
I suggest something like the Baby Beco carrier which can be used back or front for some sizes but should probably be used one way under a certain size and the other way above a certain size.

The advantage of the front carry is that you can also wear a large backpack to transport your goods at the same time as carrying the child on the front side so you can see what is happening with the child. Freeing up a hand is always a good thing and the combination of front-carry child with goods-carrying backpack on the back is that it helps balance out the weight distribution not that it is necessarily great for your knees.

By the way, when it comes to dealing with passport control types there may also be an advantage of having the child in the front instead of the back. For whatever reasons, passport control seems to slow down when there is a child in a back carrier more than when a child is in the front carrier.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I suggest something like the Baby Beco carrier which can be used back or front for some sizes but should probably be used one way under a certain size and the other way above a certain size.

The advantage of the front carry is that you can also wear a large backpack to transport your goods at the same time as carrying the child on the front side so you can see what is happening with the child. Freeing up a hand is always a good thing and the combination of front-carry child with goods-carrying backpack on the back is that it helps balance out the weight distribution not that it is necessarily great for your knees.

By the way, when it comes to dealing with passport control types there may also be an advantage of having the child in the front instead of the back. For whatever reasons, passport control seems to slow down when there is a child in a back carrier more than when a child is in the front carrier.
+1

I know there have been comments about front carrier is not the best but I have found when traveling in a airport with an infant and no stroller a front carrier is a must.

We have three kids so we can not have a wheeled carry on as both hands are full holding the other two kids hands. So this only leaves us the option for a backback.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: United Plus
Sorry I wasn't clear.

I was warning off carriers like the Baby Bjorn or Snugli, which hang the baby by its crotch, only in the front. There is no back-carry option and most of those carriers are outgrown and uncomfortable by the time the baby is 6 months old.

The soft carriers like the Beco and Ergo are good because you can carry the baby on the front or back. Unlike carriers which hang the baby in between the legs, with all the weight on your shoulders, the Ergo's etc. hold the baby in a seated position, which is more natural and comfortable for both of you.

A good carrier should go to at least 2 years of age, if not longer. Toddlers sometimes need to be carried and it's nice to have your hands free when you travel.

Someone mentioned the "hell" age for travel as 12-20 month window. I would shift that a little later and it's different for each child. I found that when they could really walk/run (for all three, 14-16 months) and then when the child understands what you're explaining. They don't have to necessarily talk or talk much, just understand.

Another sign that you're ready for a long trip; if they can occupy themselves in one position for a decent length of time. My son was a very active child and a late speaker so flying was difficult until right before he turned 3. The younger two were earlier to understand and stay in one place.

So those of you with very little babies, book those big trips before they get mobile!!
Old May 23, 2013, 1:38 pm

The soft carriers like the Beco and Ergo are good because you can carry the baby on the front or back. Unlike carriers which hang the baby in between the legs, with all the weight on your shoulders, the Ergo's etc. hold the baby in a seated position, which is more natural and comfortable for both of you.
I totally agree that the Ergo and similar carriers last longer, but that is only if your baby/toddler likes them. My daughter hated the Ergo no matter how many ways we tried it (and we tried it in every position and at every age), as she could not face out in it. She would tolerate the side/hip carry position because she could see a little bit from that position, but that was not very comfortable for long. Front and back carry were totally out. I finally gave up and am buying a Bjorn for baby #2, knowing that it is time and weight limited.
Old May 24, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: United Plus
There's an infant insert for the Ergo so try that before buying an expensive and short-lived Bjorn. Hanging the baby by its crotch is not the best idea. It's not a good value-for-money. Also, the new one might surprise you.

Also, be aware that different babies like different things. One child never wanted out of the sling and another was very active and only would go in it when tired (or asleep). So you also have to adjust your expectations.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:02 am

There's an infant insert for the Ergo so try that before buying an expensive and short-lived Bjorn. Hanging the baby by its crotch is not the best idea. It's not a good value-for-money. Also, the new one might surprise you.

Also, be aware that different babies like different things. One child never wanted out of the sling and another was very active and only would go in it when tired (or asleep). So you also have to adjust your expectations.
We have the infant insert for the Ergo, but no luck with that either. We are hoping this next baby just won't be as particular! Second babies often just have to roll with the punches a little more, right?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
This is great advice.

We went back and forth between Seattle and Singapore for 6 months with our first when she was just months old and it was easy. She had a short difficult period a bit later but then learned to love the cocoon area in a CX herringbone layout and would be fine for hours on her own. And of course that completely jinxed us and left us utterly unprepared for what came next. Child #2 has tested our will, 15.5 hours of testing on a flight from LAX-HKG when he was 12 months followed by another 18 months of constant flying challenges. It really wasn't until 30 months that he learned to just chill for a while.

So glad that period is done. But the truth is you don't know when it will start or how long it will last!

Someone mentioned the "hell" age for travel as 12-20 month window. I would shift that a little later and it's different for each child. I found that when they could really walk/run (for all three, 14-16 months) and then when the child understands what you're explaining. They don't have to necessarily talk or talk much, just understand.

Another sign that you're ready for a long trip; if they can occupy themselves in one position for a decent length of time. My son was a very active child and a late speaker so flying was difficult until right before he turned 3. The younger two were earlier to understand and stay in one place.

So those of you with very little babies, book those big trips before they get mobile!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.