Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Hotel rooms for family of 4 in Europe

Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, US Airways/AA

We are expecting a move to Germany for a 1 year project (in August). We are planning to make several long weekend trips and school holiday trips while we are there to make the most of our time.

I have been looking into accommodations and it seems like the majority of rooms only have sleeping for 2. Are there any budget hotels/chains we can try that might have rooms for 2 adults plus 5 yr old and 7 yr old children? (100E night range) If the exchange rate improved we could go higher but for now that is the budget.

I am not opposed to hostels if they have family rooms. I really want to maximize our year abroad but paying for 2 hotel rooms is going to limit our trips!

We normally stay in Hilton Family hotels and prob have enough points for 5-6 nights while there--assuming they will accommodate 4 of us in 1 room.

I am fine with kids on the cots/rollaways or even a sleeping bag on the floor!

My current list of cities-- Amsterdam, Brugge, Brussels, Copenhagen, Munich, Berlin, Venice, Prague, Paris, Vienna, and Budapest.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by swelch
We are expecting a move to Germany for a 1 year project (in August). We are planning to make several long weekend trips and school holiday trips while we are there to make the most of our time.

I have been looking into accommodations and it seems like the majority of rooms only have sleeping for 2. Are there any budget hotels/chains we can try that might have rooms for 2 adults plus 5 yr old and 7 yr old children? (100E night range) If the exchange rate improved we could go higher but for now that is the budget.

I am not opposed to hostels if they have family rooms. I really want to maximize our year abroad but paying for 2 hotel rooms is going to limit our trips!

We normally stay in Hilton Family hotels and prob have enough points for 5-6 nights while there--assuming they will accommodate 4 of us in 1 room.

My current list of cities-- Amsterdam, Brugge, Brussels, Copenhagen, Munich, Berlin, Venice, Prague, Paris, Vienna, and Budapest.
Many hotels have half off a second room for kids. Hilton has this, so it might be an option. I think you might need to call. Also many hotel do have rooms that accommodate more than two but you might need to call the reservation line and inquire about "family rooms".
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:39 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
Novotel (part of the Accor chain) generally have family rooms, i've found that they are often cheaper than Hilton
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by swelch

Well, if you're open minded and your priority is maximizing the number of places you can visit while staying under budget, consider alternative lodging. We've had good luck using Airbnb.com and smaller hotels or guesthouses. You won't find them in major booking engines, but patience and city visitor sites can usually find you something workable.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
While you can occasionally find quad rooms, we almost always rent a vacation apartment rather than staying in hotels when traveling with kids. It's usually cheaper than a hotel and gives more flexibility because the parents have a place to hang out together after the kids are asleep or before they wake. We've done that in Amsterdam, Munich, Berlin, Venice, Paris, and Vienna (out of your list of cities). We;ve used homeaway.com, vrbo.com, airbnb.com, and local sites to find them.

It won't help you use your Hilton points for rooms, but you may be pleasantly surprised by how affordable it is, particularly if you want to visit some more out-of-the-way places.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
When I was a kid in Germany, my family booked two adjacent rooms in family hotels or Pensionen. These days many smaller non-chain hotels have rooms for families: "Dreibettzimmer or Vierbettzimmer. Just ask. You may also want to rent a small apartment for stays that last a few days to a week. I have done that frequently with my kids when visiting Europe. If stumped I'd go to a German travel agent and ask for help in finding family friendly accommodations. German travel agents are actually well trained and widely used. It would not occur to me to use a Hilton with kids. Too American.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: United Plus
Careful of "double" beds. They're often smaller than two-person beds in N.America.

We also do Novotel. It's a sterile chain but they're clean and usually well-located. Formule hotels, for example, another chain, are often in out-of-the-way places but check as they are often even cheaper than Novotel.

This is where I stayed with my three kids a few years ago in Paris;
http://www.villagehostel.fr/
It was clean, safe, well-located and the staff was friendly and helpful. We had a quad room with our own bathroom. The beds were two bunks but there might be other options so check. Of course, as a hostel, it was very basic. I brought a portable DVD player since there was no T.V. We had the option to provide our own sheets and towels or rent. We brought the towels and rented the sheets.

I stayed here ages ago and have sent my sister and friends here;
http://www.hotel-rivoli.fr/tarifs-ho...voli-paris.php

To keep costs down, it sounds weird to Americans but it's quite the done thing in Europe, to get a room without a private shower. Usually you would have a sink, perhaps toilet in your room. The shower is down the hall. It's locked and usually super-clean. It's also rare when I couldn't use it.

Once I even got a room with a toilet outside but it was literally, right outside. I was a student so I was really pleased to save heaps on my room to only have to step and extra step outside (and I was the only one I was aware of using it at any time). Obviously, you wouldn't want to do this with four but if you had to get two rooms, get one with and the other without and have whomever in the without room, can use the shower and maybe toilet in the "with" room.

Zimmerfrei's and other mom and pop places in Germany often do this. Trust me, they're clean and safe. They also really feel like you're in Germany, instead of a chain hotel.

I'm too lazy to look it up but in Venice, if you take one train stop off the island, the first station (sorry if I'm drawing a blank) and it's surrounded by hotels. The idea is that you don't stay in Venice itself but you only have to take a quick train ride into the city. There were hotels all around that station so I bet that would be a good way to save a bundle in that city.

I assume you'll have a car while you live there. Plan carefully because I have one of those husbands who insist on bringing the car everywhere. He's allergic to public transport, although will take the fast-speed train if he has a meeting in Paris (we're making progress!) Of course, he has a SUV here in France. Let me tell you how many times that darned thing has been busted up! The whole side was smashed in parked on a road in Paris. The back was crumpled in on the Italian Amalfi coast. The electronics went frazzled in a garage, in Geneva... Try to stick to trains and airlines. There are a number of low-cost companies, including Ryanair, Air Europe and Air Berlin you might find cheaper than taking your car, possibly putting it a risk and paying three times more for gas. Use the car only for visits to out-of-the-way places and try to get protected garages when staying in big cities.

Once you get over here and are settled, plenty more people you'll met will give you recommendations.

Also, we had a terrible winter this year (still are, snowed this morning...) Plan your trips around the times of the year. Winter breaks might be better going places like Berlin or other cities. I went to Venice the first time in December and it was lovely. Not too cold, no crowds, plenty of museums to warm up. Recommended!

Get your kids' school break schedule and book will in advance. Hopefully they're at an expat school where their breaks wont be exactly the same and/or simply pull them out from time to time. It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I second everything said by everyone else. Guest houses/pensions/hostels are more likely to have larger rooms in Europe. In a couple of cases, I was also able to book a suite (two rooms, a bathroom, and a sitting room) at a pension for the same price as two rooms in that pension.

I like using the booking.com engine for searching for rooms in Europe as it shows very clearly how many people each room accommodates. However, do NOT count on it being 100% accurate when it comes to amenities- I chose a hotel because booking.com said that it had air conditioning, and the front desk clerk just about laughed in my face when I asked where the air was on check in. (It wasn't a big deal in the end, but if it had been a warmer day, it might have been. If an amenity is a big deal to you contact the hotel directly to confirm.)
Old Mar 31, 2013, 2:24 am

Good idea to contact the hotel after making the reservation.

I often call the hotel before booking to see if they can beat the internet price.

Be aware that extra beds are often not allowed/not enough room. You probably can't put anyone on the floor.

Also, connecting rooms are tricky, as they are in N.America. Those old hotels often just don't have them.

If you plan to put two people in a bed, get the measurements of the bed. Their idea of a two-person bed here in Europe can be a bit too cozy for me!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:20 pm

We like to have the children in the same room as us whilst we are away and find that, like others have said, Novotel is a very good option, rooms are generally clean & relatively spacious even with four beds.

another brand we have used in France is B & B http://www.hotel-bb.com/reservation-hotel/lang/en/home

We have also used Airbnb which are private homes / rooms etc rented out by the owner, we used this option in Paris and it was a lot cheaper than a hotel for the four of us and we had all the facilities such as wifi, washing machine etc. Well worth looking at.

Suite hotels (now called Suitenovotel) are also worth lookng at, we stay in these regualarly, they are really spacious, have a microwave & fridge in the room and pull out sectioning to screen the 2 single beds from the double bedded areas, these hotels are available throughout Europe http://www.suitenovotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml

A good chain to use if you visit the UK is Premier Inn, you can get family rooms from as little as Ł29 if you book ahead.

Other accommodation we always consider are serviced apartments, if you google this for each city you are visiting you may well find something suitable.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, US Airways/AA
thanks for the help!!! I did check out VRBO for Venice and found several places that will accommodate 4!

We are considering Disneyland Paris and a lot of the hotels on site and nearby seem to hold families as well. I am not a huge Disney person but my kids of course are another story. Looks like we can ride the train into the sites and enjoy some "magic" on the cheap including lodging. Prices are cheaper than our trip to WDW last year!

I hate to not be able to use my points and/or accrue them while overseas. Especially considering we won't be able to use our AMEX much for daily living expenses like we do now. I expect to have close to 300,000 points by this summer and was hoping to use them for the pricier cities (if the rooms will hold 4). But cannot afford to pay for a 2nd room at their rates in Europe!

If we can snag a good Kids Sail Free promotion we may also go that route to hit up the Baltics on NCL next summer.

We plan to purchase a cheap used car (like a 10 yr old Mercedes or BMW station wagon). I have been checking out AutoScout in Germany. For a lot of the trips we will prob drive unless I can get cheap 29Euro fares because RT tickets x4 add up pretty quickly. Plus when my Aunt visits all of us can ride together. Now when the In Laws come that is another story and we may end up doing the train or renting a van.

Locally in Frankfurt I will be relying on public transportation for most trips. The kids will be in public school and I have already checked out the holiday breaks. Once we get the official paper work I will start booking places.

I was wondering if Venice/Milan would be ok during colder months! We used to live in Pittsburgh so we are fine with snow and cold. Actually prefer it. Bought the kids winter snow clothes, boots and thermals to keep warm when it all went on clearance in January in anticipation of our trip!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
You can try adagio which is part of the accor chain. The rooms usually have a small kitchen too so you could save so money eating in.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We finished a 7 week trip last summer to Europe. We generally booked suites, and some condos/apartment setups that are child friendly.

We were tipped off that accomodations were different in Europe so I researched for larger suite/apartment accomodations and were not dissapointed. We used trip advisor to analyze the accomodations we identified to suit our family needs. From there once we located accomodations we were interested in, we scanned websites to book. I used hotel.com and booking.com for our short trips to Austria, Italy and France. Generally my wife wants to stay at a hotel, but I found comfort in extra bedrooms, kitchen, washer and dryer.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:52 am

Not to scare anyone, I'm sure apartments are a good option but I just had a bad experience with AirBnb. The owner canceled on me, without notice or explanation. I checked the site and he did it to another woman on 4 days' notice. I at least, had three months and have since booked a hotel in New York. The listing has since been taken down.

Check how long the listings you want have been up and of course, the reviews. Be wary of anything too recent. Also, are there better sites apartment rentals? I too, like the idea of a kitchen, perhaps more space and even a washer.

To the OP, washing in Europe is expensive so budget and plan ahead. Watch out for holidays and there are places you can drop in the morning and pick up later in the day, if you don't want to spend your vacation in a laundry mat!

Also, families who use Priceline, how do you book the bigger rooms? It seems that they only do two-person rooms. Is there something I'm missing? I'm looking at places in California, where we're headed next after New York this summer. Is there a way on Priceline to book for a family of 4 or 5?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've booked accomodations in Europe with Expedia.ca as well (being from Canada so from the US use expedia.com).

Its quite simple to find apartment or hotel accomodations using expedia.ca, booking.com, hotel.com, venere.com.. just plug in how many adults and how many children, dates and any additional details, and the search will pop up what's available for your party of four. As size was a major factor in our bookings, I took great effort to research the size of the suite, and the comments by other users using the comments on the booking website and for a more thorough review on www.tripadvisor.com. Both hotels and apartments can be booked on the major websites in my experience.

Plus, because our youngest was 2 at the time of travel, I queried accomodations for 2 adults and 1 child and took a look at the hotel/apartment's infant policies. Through phone calls directly to hotels and booking agencies, on the most part I found out that our youngest doesn't count as the fourth person in the room, so I was able to obtain suites that accomodate 3, and save money from booking in the 4th person in the room. The fourth person in the room also affects rates at some accomodations, but I was successful in finding accomodations that would book the same rate regardless if there are 2 persons in the room, or 4 persons in the room.

Other places we stayed was in London, and Switzerland. We booked 11 places to stay with one incident of no check in because the B and B was closed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.