Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Special treatment for families on board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special treatment for families on board?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
..... I hate getting on a flight and seeing all adults in the bulkhead and seeing families squished in middle seats with lap babies....
Why? They could have paid for a seat for their infant.

http://www.flyingwithababy.com/2013/...-bassinet.html
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace

Exactly. I am not going to feel at all guilty for my E+ bulkhead on UA with extra legroom, when people had the choice to pay for those seats, but didn't.

And to be honest, experience working for airlines several years ago isn't really that relevant when it comes to seating, especially for North American carriers. So much has changed in terms of preferred seats and charges for seats that current information is really the only thing to consider.

I have also this past week seen seat maps (for a European carrier) with bassinette seating areas clearly marked.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status

Double-ditto. I'd like to see them do away with the whole bassinet concept altogether. You want to bring a "lap" baby, then it will be a LAP baby.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:11 am

I hate getting on a flight and seeing all adults in the bulkhead and seeing families squished in middle seats with lap babies.
On a CX flight last year from LAX to HKG, there were a young couples who had new born twins. I don't think they were more than 6 months old. Each parent took up the middle bulkhead seat on the 2 side of the plane. I feel really bad for the other 4 adults passengers; as I am sure they would rather be anywhere else on the plane. I don't know if they have to pay for the bassinets, but they got 2 right in the middle. The bassinets go over to the other seats and look really uncomfortable for the passengers at the 2 sides. And during the entire flight, the father and mother took turn carrying the babies up and down the aisles.

And on the same flight, my kid got a special kid pack (very nice one too) from the nice FA.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I'm not sure why this thread was resurrected. I would only say, why should families get special treatment? Airlines should give their frequent flyers, who bring in the revenue special treatment, not the once a year or two year flyer who picks flights based on the cheapest fare.

I hate getting on a flight and seeing all adults in the bulkhead and seeing families squished in middle seats with lap babies.

Agree, this was the parent's choice. I'm not going to feel badly that they didn't pay for a seat, pay extra for the bulkhead or even plan ahead.

If the parents don't like a particular airline's policy regarding the bulkhead seats (I know you are talking about UA, Eclipsepearl), they simply should choose another airline. There are many others that block them off for families with infants.

And, it's not difficult to find out an airline's policy about traveling with infants/children. It's not rocket science.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
Agree, this was the parent's choice. I'm not going to feel badly that they didn't pay for a seat, pay extra for the bulkhead or even plan ahead.

If the parents don't like a particular airline's policy regarding the bulkhead seats (I know you are talking about UA, Eclipsepearl), they simply should choose another airline. There are many others that block them off for families with infants.

And, it's not difficult to find out an airline's policy about traveling with infants/children. It's not rocket science.
It's nice to have a choice but many of us don't. We live in places only served by one or two airlines. Yes, this is a major reason why I bought tickets for my under-2's, with only one exception (and I got a bulkhead with bassinet for my lap baby).

The point is really, what makes an airline "family friendly". It's about more than goodie bags.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:26 am

We live in places only served by one or two airlines.
We do? I beg to differ.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
I'm not sure why this thread was resurrected. I would only say, why should families get special treatment? Airlines should give their frequent flyers, who bring in the revenue special treatment, not the once a year or two year flyer who picks flights based on the cheapest fare.
How do you know that all or even a majority of people flying with kids are picking flights based on the cheapest fare? I seriously doubt that is true. At least, no more true than it is for anyone else on the aircraft.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by rjque
How do you know that all or even a majority of people flying with kids are picking flights based on the cheapest fare? I seriously doubt that is true. At least, no more true than it is for anyone else on the aircraft.
Not speaking for the other poster, but if a person isn't buying their child a seat, it's not a leap to assume that $ is a big motivating factor for these people.
Yes, someone out there can be simultaneously motivated by $ and still pay an extra $30 PP for a better routing, but it's unlikely to find people for whom money is no object AND who take lap infants along for the ride on long-haul.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
Not speaking for the other poster, but if a person isn't buying their child a seat, it's not a leap to assume that $ is a big motivating factor for these people. .
Go ahead an speak for me; you did a great job.

I find it logical to think that most people don't enjoy holding a toddler in their lap, while confined in airline seat. The reason people don't purchase seats for the under two set is because they don't want to pay for it.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:07 am
iff

It's nice to have a choice but many of us don't. We live in places only served by one or two airlines.
Originally Posted by exbayern
We do? I beg to differ.
You have to read it in context: "we" = "many of us"
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
My kids get a cute metal TG lunchbox packed with snacks, drink etc. They love it and use it at home to store toys. Wev've also received the inflatable airplane but threw it away...can't stand clutter. Also, last year we got seats together. They switched our seats so the kids were randomly placed. Flight was full. Had travel agent help us get seats together. We ended up being put in upper deck bulkhead on their jumbo jet.
Also ANA lets kids pick some small item...playing cards ets.

Last edited by mkbkk1; Apr 26, 2014 at 3:06 am
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by iff
You have to read it in context: "we" = "many of us"
I DID read it in context. I am part of the 'we'. Living in France there are far more choices than when I lived for instance in other places dominated by one alliance.

There are many ways to fly from France to the US, even for those not based in Paris. UA certainly isn't the only choice.

Last edited by Eclipsepearl; Apr 26, 2014 at 6:50 am
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by exbayern
I DID read it in context. I am part of the 'we'. Living in France there are far more choices than when I lived for instance in other places dominated by one alliance.

There are many ways to fly from France to the US, even for those not based in Paris. UA certainly isn't the only choice.
Depends on where you live in France. Lots of choice in Paris. But from here, unless we drive a long way or do crazy connections, there are only really two airlines to chose from.

Let's get back on subject!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
It's nice to have a choice but many of us don't. We live in places only served by one or two airlines. Yes, this is a major reason why I bought tickets for my under-2's, with only one exception (and I got a bulkhead with bassinet for my lap baby).

The point is really, what makes an airline "family friendly". It's about more than goodie bags.

You can always take a smaller carrier to CDG to get other choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.