Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

American Airlines and the Lost Stroller

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines and the Lost Stroller

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Duplicate post.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
Easy to say but there are two factors. Some of the expensive ones are sturdier and won't damage as easily (not all but...)

The other problem is sometimes you need a decent stroller at your destination. It can be a pain to travel with a piece of junk, just because of the flight itself.

I tried to borrow a stroller at my destination whenever possible but it really depended on where we were going and what kind of trip it was.
As I already posted, you can easily find a decent stroller for well under $100 for travel. If you want to travel with an expensive stroller, you risk losing a lot
of money if it's damaged.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
As I already posted, you can easily find a decent stroller for well under $100 for travel. If you want to travel with an expensive stroller, you risk losing a lot
of money if it's damaged.
I tend to agree but so many parents claim that their child is only comfortable in the expensive one. They worry that cobblestone streets, etc. will not work with a cheaper stroller. They want to jog while on vacation so insist on taking the jogging stroller...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA
We have a Maclaren Techno XT that we purchased in 2006 for the birth of our first. 8 years and 4 babies later it's still going strong. We bought it because it can transport an infant from birth (i.e. the seat goes fully flat), and is an umbrella stroller. It's been on many airlines to many countries and is still going strong.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl
I tend to agree but so many parents claim that their child is only comfortable in the expensive one. They worry that cobblestone streets, etc. will not work with a cheaper stroller. They want to jog while on vacation so insist on taking the jogging stroller...
I find that I am more comfortable with a more expensive stroller, as the umbrella strollers at Walgreens seem to be made for people who are about 5'6" (and I'm 6'4"). I usually bring a MacLaren that we received as a gift (used) and it works very well, but I accept that we may end up losing it by checking it at the gate.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by B1
We gate-checked the stroller on our flight out of DFW on AA and then were told that they didn't have room for it (or other strollers) on our flight. When we got to our destination, AA had no clue as to what would happen. After several days, they called to say that they found it. But what showed up was the bottom half - they had only tagged the lower part. They they demanded a trip to the airport to fill out a claim with the original receipt. They will let us know in about ten weeks what they will do. Lesson:
1. American Airlines is bankrupt for good reasons - one of them is their poor service.
2. Always have tags on every part of a stroller.
3. Try to insist that the gate-checked item go on the flight because the infant needs to be in it at the other end.
4. Choose an airline that is not currently bankrupt.
And maybe 5. Pack your things correctly and you will avoid all of these problems, regardless of which airline you fly.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theddo
And maybe 5. Pack your things correctly and you will avoid all of these problems, regardless of which airline you fly.
Do you have any real or practical advice here? I can't think of any way to pack that would ensure that you wouldn't have to gate check a stroller.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:41 am

This is a rather naive view. How does packing well stop the airlines from damaging your luggage when they run over it with a luggage cart? Or drop it from the cargo hold out of the plane?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by rjque
Do you have any real or practical advice here? I can't think of any way to pack that would ensure that you wouldn't have to gate check a stroller.
That would mean pack your two piece stroller which you know may fall apart into a bag before checking it in. Or pack it with something, around here strollers are usually packed in a heavy duty plastic bag.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would mean pack your two piece stroller which you know may fall apart into a bag before checking it in. Or pack it with something, around here strollers are usually packed in a heavy duty plastic bag.
That's not practical. One of the most important purposes of the stroller is to help get around the airport.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
That's not practical. One of the most important purposes of the stroller is to help get around the airport.
Well, it doesn't exactly strike me as practical to lose part of a stroller either because it wasn't attached so I guess it's up to everyone to decide what is practical for them.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Those plastic bags may help reduce the likelihood of the stroller parts disappearing without a sight; and they may help reduce the likelihood of the stroller getting dirty from whatever it would otherwise contact. That said, risk of non-cosmetic damage to the stroller is not going to be reduced enough (if at all) by a heavy duty plastic bag for that to really warrant choosing to take an expensive stroller or not.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:14 pm

I've traveled with a City Mini quite extensively, and it's sturdy enough yet fairly simple in terms of moving parts, such that I haven't yet had it damaged. Judging by its exterior, it's been tossed around pretty good, too.

That said, we've recently switched to traveling with a $20 Babies R Us umbrella stroller and it's every bit as useful, without any concern for damage, and with the added bonus of light weight and maneuverability. The only "accessory" I've added is a bungee cord to keep it shut while folded, since it doesn't lock.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:04 pm

So far we've done all our traveling with an uppababy vista. It's huge, but we bought the case for it, and the whole thing packs into the case. We generally pack the main seat into the bag for going through the airport, leaving the carseat on the stroller. The bag with seat fits on the bottom of the stroller for going through the airport, along with diaper bag, etc. It's large but makes life very easy once we are at our destination as we can fit diaper bag, food, bottles, etc in the underpart of the stroller.

I imagine getting through the airport with umbrella stroller is a much bigger PITA - have to carry the carseat separately, as well as diaper bag, etc. Am I crazy?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tubulus
So far we've done all our traveling with an uppababy vista. It's huge, but we bought the case for it, and the whole thing packs into the case. We generally pack the main seat into the bag for going through the airport, leaving the carseat on the stroller. The bag with seat fits on the bottom of the stroller for going through the airport, along with diaper bag, etc. It's large but makes life very easy once we are at our destination as we can fit diaper bag, food, bottles, etc in the underpart of the stroller.

I imagine getting through the airport with umbrella stroller is a much bigger PITA - have to carry the carseat separately, as well as diaper bag, etc. Am I crazy?
Depends on if you are actually bringing a car seat or not. We don't anymore, since we use the CARES harness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.