FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel with Children (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/)
-   -   Baby First Class Or Business? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children/1359023-baby-first-class-business.html)

yialanliu Jun 21, 2012 9:12 am

Baby First Class Or Business?

I am traveling with a baby who will be around 6 months old from EWR/ORD to PVG. My wife and I are not really frequent flyers, she's a Star Silver(UA) and I'm a Star Gold(A3) so neither of us are true frequent flyers.

I am set on not flying economy unless babies are banned on the other classes.

My question is should we buy 2 first class? So flying first class, it'd be a lapped baby, but on business I can afford to buy 3 tickets and get the baby its own seat.

What would be the better option for me in terms of comfort?

On another note, I just checked UA EWR to PVG and it seems that there's only 2 classes? United Business First with a 2 class configuration. Is that first class or business class?

Flyiboy Jun 21, 2012 9:38 am

Baby First Class Or Business?

If U can try to get the direct flight from EWR.. I would go with that. it does look like its a two class product. Business First/Eco. It may have the old recliner seats :(
The flight looks like a 3 class product. Global First/Business First and Eco . It may have the fully flat in Business.
Depends on your comfort with your baby. If U do the Global First your son/daughter will have amble space to sleep. If U want more space for everyone do the Business seat
I don't mind babies/children in premium classes just as long as the parents behave themselves :)
When are the dates U are thinking about ?
Is UA the only option for you ?

Forgot to mention the the flight from EWR is ex-CO so it will
Be full flat

KosherKimchee Jun 21, 2012 11:04 am

Get the extra seat in C, even if used only 50% of the flight. When baby sleeps, you can enjoy meals and drinks unimpeded. I recall a PS flight in C where I had to eat with a napkin over my then infant's head when he was lapchild, wouldnt be fun on a long flight to Asia.

erik123 Jun 21, 2012 1:16 pm

EWR-PVG on UA does not offer F so it is a moot point.

In this case I would have opted for business even if they did have F - as both C and F offer lie-flat and service is indifferent in both.

wrxmom Jun 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Buy the extra seat - that's a long flight and the extra seat will allow more comfort.

yialanliu Jun 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I am actually flying out of Boston, so my typical routing is EWR/ORD to PVG through CO/UA although they are both UA now. I would prefer Star Alliance carriers and while I have flown with Air China and Air Canada, the routing has changed (Air Canada isn't the shortest through Toronto anymore due to not selling the short layover tix) and Air China is through California which isn't the optimal route.

It looks like the extra seat seems a good option especially since the business is truly flat now. Never thought about the eating problem with a lapped child.

Eclipsepearl Jun 22, 2012 12:45 am

Another vote for three. Yes, eating, etc. is tricky with a lap baby in any class.

As far as we know on this board, no airline bans babies from premium cabins. The airlines ban their own employees from flying with their children under certain ages (and it's like 8 or 10) from those classes. So the baby screaming in your ear is that of a paying customer.

I always recommend sitting towards the back and avoiding upper decks. If the baby cries, you can walk back to economy if the aisles are clear, or just take a walk back there to calm the baby. It's also is usually near the lavs so you don't have to walk past all your fellow passengers on the way to do a diaper change.

sbagdon Jun 22, 2012 10:48 am

+1 on 3 seats. That's just too long of a flight to not get their own seat.

azepine00 Jun 22, 2012 8:40 pm

If money is no issue then 3 seats. Otherwise two seats with bassinet would probably be practical enough but some cabins (including IIRC new UA C) do not have bassinets.

Doesn't NH fly BOS-NRT-pvg now? I would consider 2xC there.