Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Flying with toddler with ear infection

Old May 1, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt

Anyone have experience with flying when their toddler has an ear infection? Our pediatrician said it is safe to do it, but I imagine it'll make things more uncomfortable than usual for him.

Our son is 21 months old and has an inner ear infection in his left ear and some fluid in his right ear (just recovered from an infection in it). This is his first time having ear infections. It seems our luck ran out!

It's a post-bedtime flight (after 8 PM), so our plan is to give him a dose of ibuprofen and also some benadryl to help him with the pain and to sleep. We're normally not ones to dope up our kid for a flight, but I think it may be warranted this time. He's had benadryl before, so we already know it will make him drowsy and not have the opposite effect. We'll also be sure to offer him something to chew/suck on during takeoff and landing. I'm thinking we'll do fruit gummies this time. In the past we've offered raisins.

It's a 3.5 hour flight, from AUS-LAX, so nothing too major. He'll be in his car seat rear-facing, so he'll be comfy for sleeping. He is normally a pro at sleeping on the plane. (To set any curmudgeons' minds at ease: his dad will be in the seat in front of him, so we won't be inconveniencing any passengers who won't be able to recline, although it's a 738, so I think that's a non-issue anyway, since the seats slide forward to recline.)

I'm just not sure how much the change in pressure might exacerbate his symptoms.

Thanks in advance for any insight offered!
Old May 1, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by swise
Anyone have experience with flying when their toddler has an ear infection? Our pediatrician said it is safe to do it, but I imagine it'll make things more uncomfortable than usual for him.

Our son is 21 months old and has an inner ear infection in his left ear

I'm just not sure how much the change in pressure might exacerbate his symptoms.

I flew once with an ear infection/fluid in ear. My eardrum ruptured. The pain was the worst you can imagine. It took months to heal. I lost the lower range of my hearing for a decade. My ENT said flying with any type of ear infection puts you at risk for a ruptured eardrum and hearing loss.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Your child will be miserable and so will you as well as the other passengers. This will be horrible. I would never do it unless it was an emergency that you had to be somewhere.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Don't go. Reschedule it for a few days from now when the antibiotics have had a chance to do their job and relieve the pressure
Old May 1, 2012, 9:09 pm

My childhood was riddled with countless ear infections and I wear hearing aids today as a result. I still get them, but am sometimes required to fly in the midst of one.

Usually after a day on antibiotics my symtoms are much better and the inflammation is down. If delaying your flight isn't an option, I think your plan sounds like you have thought of everything.

The only other recommendation I would have is Auro. It's a homeopathic ear treatment found at most department stores for about $6. It is supposed to work on ear pain. I don't get a lot of pain relief from it, but I do find that the oil does "cool off" my ears and the drops help buffer some of the noise, which helps me sleep.

Good luck!
Old May 2, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: United Plus
My son spent a lot of his toddler years with ear infections. I always took mine to the ped right before leaving, just to be sure and once they found an infection. Quickly, he was on anti-biotics (and our ped is one of those antibiotics-only-when-necessary doctors). It was cleared up before we flew and he did great on the 11 1/2 hour transatlantic a few days later.

It's not on take-off and landing that will cause problems. As a Flight Attendant, it was about an hour, maybe more (depending on the flight time and altitude) before landing that was when ear problems showed up in passengers. Set your alarm for 2 hours' prior to landing and get your child "drugged up" with whatever you think he needs so that when the airplane starts to descend, he's got the stuff in his system working away. Landing is too late.

I did this once when I flew with an ear infection. I didn't realize I had it and I was working the flight. I felt it on take-off so I made sure that I had the Ibuprofen and some Sudefed going before landing. I did okay but it wasn't fun and I do know people who busted their ear drums so I consider myself veeeeeery lucky!

Remember that all drugs are stronger in the air so easy on that Benedryl! While you might want to give the Ibuprofen before you board, hold off on the Benedryl till you're on the runway (for a number of safety and practical reasons). For such a short flight, you may want to just give it for landing, since that is the risky time.

Let him sleep for take-off but get him awake about an hour and a half before landing.

If you can reschedule, that would be best but measure up the pro's and con's for yourself.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the thoughts. He seems worse this morning, so we're off to the pediatrician so they can take a peek at his ears and maybe give him an injection. He started coughing yesterday and seems fairly congested now, too. :/

Most likely we will postpone for a couple of days. We are flying on award tickets, so rescheduling shouldn't be too painful.

This is an elective trip for the boy and me; husband is going for business, and we're tagging along to see grandparents and enjoy LA. So getting well is definitely a bigger priority than the trip this time.

A double bummer, though, to have a sick boy and to possibly miss a chance to see the grandparents. Ah well. Toddlerhood isn't always sidewalk chalk and bubbles.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:42 am

Aww..I'm sorry he feels worse today.

My ped always says that my son should feel much, much better after being on antibiotics for 24 hours. So I was going to say that hopefully your son would be OK for the flight. But, it does sound like now its best to postpone.

We're flying tomorrow and I'm paranoid that DS will get sick between now and then. It doesn't help that a note came home from daycare yesterday saying another child in his class came down with strep throat.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:38 pm

Our son is 21 months old and has an inner ear infection in his left ear and some fluid in his right ear (just recovered from an infection in it). This is his first time having ear infections. It seems our luck ran out!

It's a post-bedtime flight (after 8 PM), so our plan is to give him a dose of ibuprofen and also some benadryl to help him with the pain and to sleep. We're normally not ones to dope up our kid for a flight, but I think it may be warranted this time. He's had benadryl before, so we already know it will make him drowsy and not have the opposite effect. We'll also be sure to offer him something to chew/suck on during takeoff and landing. I'm thinking we'll do fruit gummies this time. In the past we've offered raisins.

It's a 3.5 hour flight, from AUS-LAX, so nothing too major. He'll be in his car seat rear-facing, so he'll be comfy for sleeping. He is normally a pro at sleeping on the plane. (To set any curmudgeons' minds at ease: his dad will be in the seat in front of him, so we won't be inconveniencing any passengers who won't be able to recline, although it's a 738, so I think that's a non-issue anyway, since the seats slide forward to recline.)

I think you need to find a new pediatrician. I can't imagine any pediatrician saying it is fine for a toddler to fly with a current AND a recovering ear infection.
Old May 2, 2012, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Well, one ear had recovered, and one was being treated and was going to be 1/3 through antibiotic treatment by the time we were flying.

When he woke up congested and coughing, though, it was clear that his immune system was fighting more than one battle. My pediatrician advised me to bring him back for another check today.

So I am satisfied with their advice and course of action. We've been in now 4 times with a 5th time scheduled. They have closely watched things.

After today's visit, the right ear looks almost back to normal, but the left ear still needs to heal. So we've postponed the trip until Saturday afternoon.

thanks again!
Old May 2, 2012, 11:33 pm

When he woke up congested and coughing, though, it was clear that his immune system was fighting more than one battle. My pediatrician advised me to bring him back for another check today.

So I am satisfied with their advice and course of action. We've been in now 4 times with a 5th time scheduled. They have closely watched things.

After today's visit, the right ear looks almost back to normal, but the left ear still needs to heal. So we've postponed the trip until Saturday afternoon.
Maybe the pedi is watching things, but I'd question both his advice and his choice of treatment/drugs about now. Your son really sounds like he needs a chance to rest and recover for a while, not make an elective trip in a closed metal tube of germs. I would not wish the pain of damaged eardrums on anyone, especially a child.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.